X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Dope, I Hope

I got a call from a customer yesterday, the new toilet that was installed about 6 mos. ago during a major remodel project was running every now and then (the contractor used his own plumber, not me).
    Upon inspection It was clear that the fluidmaster ballcock would sometimes not shut off.
    While installing the new Pro45B I learned why.
    The plumber had used pipe dope (looks like megalok or blue monster) on the compression threads leaving the cutoff and on the shank of the ballcock.
    Pictures follow:
    Attached Files
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Re: No Dope, I Hope

that's not bad. too bad the original plumber was not a plumber

i had a job where the so called plumber lubed up all the no hub bands with vic. lube

removed them all and started over.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Hey this brings one up for me; what is the black I see on the ends of cinh under the no-hubs? not vic lube? what then?
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I just received a bulletin about this two weeks ago from the manufacture. They demand you do not use any dope on their product.
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Hey TY

Is that an Aussie ?

Comment

Ace- On larger (6" +) it's common to see Black Swan on no hub pipe.
            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Another Idiot. String him up boys.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                Ace- On larger (6" +) it's common to see Black Swan on no hub pipe.
                don't know about black swan

but all modern no hub pipe is coated with a tar substance. that's what fills all the porous pin holes in the pipe. especially the fittings.

some pipe like the "true spun" didn't use it. but it had other issues.

tip from experience, don't store your no hub in the hot summer sun, unless you want tar all over your hands. and never refuel your tools and spill gas on the pile of pipe. that's what turns the tar into a messy product.

rick.

aaron, welcome back
                phoebe it is

Comment

I don't install the stuff, just open it up from time to time when it is the most convenient access. I've noticed a black, tar like product at the ends of every piece under the no-hubs, clearly there on purpose by the installer as it is at the ends of each piece whether full length or cut, and nowhere else. Thought is was vic lube... guess I might be right after all. This on 2" and up.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

i do come across the sticky tar when i remove blind plugs. but it's just the natural tar from original manufacturing.

there is no lube or sealer required for no hub pipe and bands.

in all the years, i've only seen 1 idiot wanna be plumber use lube.

lube will cause the band to slip as it's being tightened up.

the reason why you see the tar like stuff under the band is because it's the 1 spot that is not exposed to the outside air and environment. when it's first installed it's pretty sticky stuff, especially in the hot summers. as time goes by the stuff seems to absorb and it's no longer tacky. especially since it's never as hot as the pipe sitting in the sun.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I myself as per the forman's request, have used black swan on no hub. So aaron is right. There are areas that are not accesible after the pipe has been installed and they feel better about using it. As far as someone peeling them back and seeing tar I agree with Rick, cause if it was Black Swan it would be all over the pipe and not just under the coupling perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                      X