Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home-spun plumbers tool pouch

Hey
    Thought some of you might like this. On a project a while back an electrician I do a lot of work with asked me why know one makes a plumbers pouch like they have for their trade.

A week later I ordered some leather tools and leather and built one. It holds 2-channy's , adjustables , screwdrivers , torpedo level, and a tape measure. I use it all the time and as you can see it starting to show some wear. Cost of the leather was about $ 6.00, the tools were less than $20.00.

The pouch was started and finished during a Monday night football game. Mike
    Attached Files

Re: home-spun plumbers tool pouch

My tools are covered in sewer, I rather not have them hanging on my side.

I'm always trying to avoid plumbers crack, extra weight on my belt can't help.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Can you post pictures with the tools in the pouch?

Thanks-Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

You bet Mark, If you don't mind I'll do it tomorrow. I don't feel up to digging into the van tonight. You know how it goes.

This has to be the easiest thing to make, and you can customize it for anything you want. Once the leather is wet it can be formed to any shape. Mike

Comment

Can you also post a pic of the leather tools you used to make this pouch?
          Thanks, tim
          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

honestly mike, you need to give up the plumbing trade and go full time at this

i was blown away by the craftsmanship in your leather work.

are you sure you didn't get this custom made by the shoe store

excellent work

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

When does production start? How much will you be charging? When will you retire from your leatherworking profits.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the compliment Rick. Trust me when I say it's easy. I bought a cheap tool that looks like a pizza cutter with a sprocket. You just roll it and it makes perferated marks that tell you where to sew. Once you have the marks on the leather just poke it with an awl and sew away. I cemented it first so I didn't have to hold the pieces together while sewing. Piece of cake. I would love to say I'm a master craftsman with leather but thats just not true. With just 2 cheap tools it will make anyone look good. A tool pouch is about a 4 beer project.

The best part about it is that you can make a bunch of them each being a little different for the task. The one you see pictured I use for new const. and remodeling. It saves me a ton of time and the pockets in my jeans don't wear out, and if you want to be a real fancy pants you can emboss it with your name, although you might get teased for that.

I'll post some pictures tonight of the tools and a quick how to picture if you guys want. I'm gonna play with the kids and e-mail 2 bids in the next couple of hours, so it will be a little bit.

Mike.

Comment

Alright, here we go.
                  Looking at the first photo you will see everything I used to make a pouch. To build a pouch tough tooling thread should be used and a small roll can be ordered at tandy leather factory website, just google it. When stitching leather the toughest stitch ( and the easiest ) is done with 2 leather needles. I think everyone knows what an awl is but if you look closely a leather awl has a diamond shape that makes the hole easy to sew through and gives it the hand sewn look. The last tool is called an overstitching wheel and as it is rolled on the leather it makes marks for you to sew in. Real easy. Cheap tools for this can also be found on ebay.

Take a look at the 2nd photo. You can see a close-up shot at the wheel and the the marks it creates on the leather. For some people it may help to draw a line where you want to sew with a pencil then roll the overstitching wheel over the pencil line. I freehanded it and that was good enough for me. Once the marks are made run it back and forth 5 or 6 times and it creates a ditch to sew in.

The next step is to grab the awl and punch the diamond shaped hole in the leather in the marks made be the overstitching wheel. The awl is sharp so the holes take very little effort to punch through. the 3rd photo showes the holes made by the awl.

It can now be sewn. The next post will show how to stitch it up. I have to find some batteries for the camera first. Mike
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here are some drawings from a book on hand sewing leather. The three drawings are about the best part of the book.

Cut a three or four foot piece of thread then put a needle on each end. Look at the drawings and you will notice two pieces of thread going through one hole at a time. It's like a bunch of figure eights all in a row that don't end until you want it to. That's it, simple as can be. I punch the holes in the leather as I go in groups of four or five. Hand sewing leather is a real fast and easy operation.

If anyone here would like to me to show some pictures of how to shape leather I can, just let me know in the post. I don't know if anyone is interested or not?

Mike
                    Attached Files

Comment

mike, it would be interesting to see how you hand formed the leather.

believe it or not i do own a similar leather awl

great tool for tuff sewing jobs.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Hey Rick, No problem. I'll come up with something cool for ya. You should make one Rick, just think of the options, you can design it any way you want to. Plumbers who see this are always asking me where they could get one. If they only knew how easy and cheap it was to make.

Pouch number two will be simple.
                        • Tape measure
                        • Torpedo level
                        • marker/pencil
                        • Hammer
                        Pouch number two will be perfect for those days when I am doing new construction only.

Actually, a fella could build a whole bunch of pouches
                        • Pouch for service calls
                        • pouch for remodeling
                        • pouch for new construction
                        • pouch for setting fixtures
                        • pouch for doing copper H2O
                        • pouch for doing CPVC H2O
                        • pouch for doing PEX
                        • Pouch for doing sewer work
                        • Pouch for the tavern
                        • Pouch for fishing
                        • Pouch for hunting
                        • Pouch for poker
                        • Money pouch?
                        All in good fun Mike

Comment

Here are the steps involved in building a pouch. First cut a paper pattern and make it long enough to fold over for a belt loop. I just cut it out with my wife's fiskars when shes not looking. No need to measure because it can be trimmed when it's done. Next, cut out the cover piece with some extra side material to compenseat for the 3-D shape of the object. Again, no need to measure, just wack it out quick then it's done. I turned the faucet on warm and covered it with water on both sides. DON"T put too much water on it because it will take three days to dry, just get it wet then wipe it off with a towel.

It takes about 30 seconds for the next step. Center the leather where you want it then use your fingers and sculpt it. It bends super easy like a piece of rubber. If it starts to pucker a little just put a slit in it and it's gone. See the photo for the slit.

It will take a while to dry before you can sew it and if you want you can use pins to hold it on a board while it drys. The next post I will sew it and trim it to shape and have a couple of photos of it. Mike
                          Attached Files

Comment

I really appreciate the effort you are putting into your thread. Very informative.
                            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Thank You Ty, I use mine every day and it saves me a ton of time. The next post will show the construction of the pouch. Thanks again, Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X