Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: C. I. Vrs plastic $$

Hello Tool,
    When I read your post it sparked my interest because I remember when I went through that transition phase and made a few mistakes in the process. In Wisconsin CI is hardly ever used in residential. My CI experience is in multi story hospitals and office buildings etc.

I am a little old fashioned and never used software even when I worked for other companies. The bids were always done by hand and I'm sure you and I probably bid about the same way. I would however check my bids against the popular software "Quickpen" and the numbers were always all over the place so I just stuck with the old school style, ( pencil & paper )

Houses are fun to bid out. The way I always do it is I find areas in the house that are always the same and give it a value. This creates a low numbered simple foundation for bid.

So lets just say a basement under-floor in a ranch has a base hour rate of 8 hrs. min. this is good for a ranch of 55' long. Every ranch house I do has a starting value for the underfloor of 8 hours before I even look at the plan. Once I look at the plan I start to add for other factors like.
    • Split bath design
    • Kitchen location
    • Length over 55'
    • Underfloor add-ons
    With your experience I'm sure you understand this already. The rest of the house is done the same way. I was just looking at my bid folder and the minimum hours to rough a ranch ( stacks tied in ) is 21 hours. OK, Now is where I get to my point.

Just like bidding commercial work I find all the minimums I can and use this for a base number. If you wanted to use a "multiplier" do it on the base numbers only.

This is important because lets say you are going through the print and find some funky kitchen set up with big arches over the top and an open ceiling the PVC to CI multiplier would not be the same as the multiplier on a base price. Remember the base price is only for a simple house and the hours go up according to lay-out, so it would be unwise to use the same multiplier.

A funky bathroom could take three times as long in CI as it does in PVC, but the underfloor might only take 20% longer. That is why I never use a multiplier.

If I was in your shoes i would look at past jobs and come up with a list of standards, then convert it to cast iron base bid. This makes the whole process easier because with a simple starting point half the bid is already done. The rest is done by eye. and experience. I could write a book on the subject of bidding but i don't want to bore ya to death. I hope I at leat helped you a little. I always liked installing CI, when your all done it looks really nice. If this doesn't help you and you have any more questions feel free to ask all you want ,I hope I can help you out. Mike

Comment

Thank's so much Mike . That's great logic. I'll apply it to next job. This is contracted. As a G.C. You usually are high on some parts of the bid and low on others. Thia helps. Tool
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

in comercial/ industrial applications i feel i could run CI just as fast as pvc seems the real time diff. is in the hangers and hanger material, and the cost of ci vs. plastic

Comment

Tool
          Since you work in SF, why did you buy not one, but two estimating programs that don't have values for cast iron?

Originally posted by Dr. House View Post
          in comercial/ industrial applications i feel i could run CI just as fast as pvc seems the real time diff. is in the hangers and hanger material, and the cost of ci vs. plastic
          Straight lengths of pipe, probably. Pipe with lots of fittings, no way.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post

Straight lengths of pipe, probably. Pipe with lots of fittings, no way.
            Agreed.By myself it's close.But with a down man and the hangers spread out every four feet plastic flies.

Comment

Plumbus, Most of our remodels are in Marin Co. I like the energy and people of S.F.
              Now I'm talking about the many Good decent folks that live there.
              My program is geared for remodeling. My Son has a new program and estimated the last two jobs. On the rough only, I charged $2000 per fixture. Overhead and profit are added
              on to this in the end.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Plumbus, Most of our remodels are in Marin Co. I like the energy and people of S.F.
                My program is geared for remodeling. My Son has a new program and estimated the last two jobs. On the rough only, I charged $2000 per fixture. Overhead and profit are added
                on to this in the end. Do You have a good program for C.I.?

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  on to this in the end. Do You have a good program for C.I.?
                  Tool, do I understand you correctly?
                  $2,000 dollars per fixture+overhead+profit?

Nothing wrong with your pricing just don't understand what the fixture cost covers.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    Tool, do I understand you correctly?
                    $2,000 dollars per fixture+overhead+profit?

Nothing wrong with your pricing just don't understand what the fixture cost covers.

Thanks.

J.C.
                    The cost of Living

It's all relevant to demographics.

The contractor I worked with last year would not touch a job for Tool's price.People with money/celebs are a pain.You are not getting in and getting out.Questions,changes and drama.

The average single family home in SF in 2007 was 1,200,000.

Plumber Rick showed me a neighborhood in his loop where the 1500 sq.(before remodel) home could go for 1-2 million,our condo is bigger.I can almost garauntee that the fixture prices ended up being close to doubled $2000.

Commercial was going for about 2 grand down here.

Comment

The $2000 covers rough material , and labor for DWV, Including water stub outs. I believe
                      $1200 is the norm for plastic to a G.C. Right now My laborers are busting up concrete,
                      removing dirt,and loading it into My 18 Yd. dump truck. I make more on this than plumbing.

Comment

When figuring with pad and pencil, I never figure by the fixture. I do a material take off, then I use a spreadsheet I made dividing the job into it's various categories, like subfloor waste. I figure the labor chronologically, as if I were actually plumbing it. Using this method, I figured a 5-1/2 bath house this morning in about 2 hours.
                        When I bid using my computer the software program I use is call Plumbing Bid Manager by Vision InfoSoft. With it I can figure Cast Iron, PVC or ABS waste and it adjusts the labor to compensate for the material used.
                        Last edited by Plumbus; 02-07-2009, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Purple primer tip. Use clear and just put a bit of purple into it. Enough for the inspector to see but not so much that the joint looks like crap. Thank Christ we ammended the code 20 years back and can use clear again though. I found that if you don't work fast with purple primer and allow it to dry, the pigments in the primer will actually harden on the pipe and make the joint leak. Horrible stuff.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X