X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C. I. Vrs plastic $$

We all know the quality difference. Labor and material on cast is a lot more.

Ever wonder what the Percentage really is on C.I. Vs. plastic ?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: C. I. Vrs plastic $$

Could you explain the question further, this sounds like a good topic? Mike

Comment

I swear if I've got a good cut man that I'm as fast & do a better looking job with CI. I just can't seem to get the primer under control.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        I swear if I've got a good cut man that I'm as fast & do a better looking job with CI. I just can't seem to get the primer under control.

J.C.
        use an empty can of primer, just pour enough primer in the bottom to get the swab wet. Oh, and shake the heck out of the swab before you pull it all the way out of the can.

or do what my co-worker does and just pour most of it out.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I put in miles of Cast iron in my new constrution commercial days. C.I. is a beautifiul thing when put in correctly and quieter. The modern pvc dwv piping is great compared to abs banana pipe. I like to use clear primer and clear pvc glue when joining it. Would be messes are invisible...............

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
            I put in miles of Cast iron in my new constrution commercial days. C.I. is a beautifiul thing when put in correctly and quieter. The modern pvc dwv piping is great compared to abs banana pipe. I like to use clear primer and clear pvc glue when joining it. Would be messes are invisible...............

Does the clear primer and glue penetrate as well as what I have used to hold a thirty foot head for inspection?
            I wonder how an inspector in our area would "percieve" an instalation where he could not see the two.

I cannot trust a helper to glue a horizontal coupling without it looking like cr*p. The clear would help.

What's this automatic red stuff in my post for.
            Last edited by ToUtahNow; 02-04-2009, 11:16 AM. Reason: getting rid of the red stuff

Comment

i myself use clear primer on any inside job, but underground i stick with purple.

dirtyhands, the red indicates a link because you used the @ symbol followed by .the , these computers ain't so smart

thanks
              Larry

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                Does the clear primer and glue penetrate as well as what I have used to hold a thirty foot head for inspection?
                I wonder how an inspector in our area would "percieve" an instalation where he could not see the two.

I cannot trust a helper to glue a horizontal coupling without it looking like cr*p. The clear would help.

He would make you tear it all out and use a primer which complies with ASTM F 656.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Yes it does
                  We only use the clear, inside and outside.
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Thank's All. And Mike Here's what I'm asking. I live in Two worlds. Jobs in S.F. require all Cast Iron. There are some new exceptions for plastic. I won't go there,because the inspectors won't be happy. Also down the road with plastic ,the building can never go from 2 to 3 stories. That would be a terrible situation for some other owner down the road. Else where in Marin Co. Ca. I use A.B.S.,or P.V.C. Our 2 estimating programs only deal in plastic,not C.I. Soo ,I shoot from the hip on C.i. Someone mUst have a percentage multiplier on plastic to Cast. Thank's Tool
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Tool, I can help you here but I need a little info.
                      • What software do you use
                      • type of work you do ( office buildings, restaurants, houses )
                      • % of cast iron work your company does as a whole
                      • number of employees
                      One company will use 1.27% while another would have to tripple it? Some people can pound CI together faster than PVC, while others fiddle around and spend a lifetime on a project. I have never used a multiplier and never will. Give me the lowdown I can help you a little more. Mike

Comment

Just doing a simple takeoff of 20' of 2" and 3" pipe and a couple of fittings of each, my bidding program estimates labor time on cast iron at about 3 times that of ABS or PVC. And the greater the ratio of fittings to pipe, the greater the difference in labor. I think when figuring vents in wood frame construction the ratio gets smaller due to the amount of drilling involved, which is almost the same for both materials (except when extra notching or offsets are needed to avoid conflicts between wood and no hub couplings). So, with vents I'd figure a 2 to 1 labor ratio for iron vs. plastic, and if you're ganging vents in the attic I'd figure that part of the work at 1.5 to 1 because of the extra strapping and support required for plastic.
                        DWV copper is a whole nother kettle of fish.

Comment

As much as i like the clear primer for a clean job ..
                          the code calls for purple so the inspector can see it..
                          I try to just make a nice purple band...it dosent look bad.

Comment

In San Luis Obispo County the inspectors don't question it when used for DWV PVC. Also all he has to do is see the cans we are using and see the applicable specs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes Plumbing View Post
                              Tool, I can help you here but I need a little info.
                              • What software do you use Est. book for Me son uses doftware,will answer later
                              • type of work you do ( office buildings, restaurants, houses )residential renovation
                              • % of cast iron work your company does as a whole Small and infrequent
                              • number of employees 5 of Us
                              One company will use 1.27% while another would have to tripple it? Some people can pound CI together faster than PVC, while others fiddle around and spend a lifetime on a project. I have never used a multiplier and never will. Give me the lowdown I can help you a little more. Mike
                              As a G,c, in Ca,I do It all! 5 of us,residential remodels, Wheeler on the deck cutting,swivel chain in trench, and walls
                              Last edited by toolaholic; 02-04-2009, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X