X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOTO Toilets

Lets talk TOTO! I have a friend that owns another shop in town and sells the TOTO Drake series toilets with the G-Max flushing system and says that they are great! I don't currently have any one particular toilet that i push over any other right now, but here lately have been asked my opinion so i am developing one. I have Kohler in my own house, but they are not the "Cimmaron" flushing system, just the old Wellworths and don't have many issues that can't be credited to my wife or three year old's user error!!!!!!!!!! However, technology has come a long way since then and i need to step up! I like the fact that Toto is not sold in the mass merchants and only list price is online. Thus, i don't have to try and compete with big box stores. But, my friend says they have run in to some problems installing the Toto's in back to back applications where water from one toilet is pushing into the other due to the increased volume during flushing. Anyone else see this??? Seems odd to me, most b to b i see is old and cast iron. Seems that the cast would slow down enough not to allow that senario. Also it would have to cross over the cross and through the trap to create a problem. I don't know. What do you guys think and/or what do you have luck selling? And at what cost? The toto i mentioned wholesales at around 250.00, but lists at 510. I gave a bid today at 550 and am waiting on return call, shouldn't be a problem. This will be a b to b install though so i am a little concerned that i might need to re-cant.

Re: TOTO Toilets

Interesting about B to B. The volume is the same. It's the rate it's put into the drain as I'm sure you know. I personally have never liked B to B DWV and always try to separate the two baths into independent systems.

I don't care for any of the "Speed Flushers". ToTo, Cimmarron, Amer. St. etc.

To me a toilet is supposed to:
    1)remove waste and
    2)clean the bowl a certain %.

Installed many old type Wellworths that did well at accomplishing this.

All of the "Speed Flushers" fail at #2 in my opinion. Ironic.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Interesting about B to B. The volume is the same. It's the rate it's put into the drain as I'm sure you know. I personally have never liked B to B DWV and always try to separate the two baths into independent systems.

1)remove waste and

J.C.

Have you tried the Cimarron with the new Class 6 Bowl? It's supposed to clean better but I haven't tried one yet.
      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
        Have you tried the Cimarron with the new Class 6 Bowl? It's supposed to clean better but I haven't tried one yet.
        I have installed some (I think. It was recent but I don't have the box in front of me to say for sure that it said "6") but don't try out my customers toilets.

No callbacks but I've only put in a couple. I need a larger base to get a good opinion.

Still like for it to have more swirl time.

J.C.

Comment

The new generation of toilets trump the old style. Toto I sell once in a while but most people know what a Kohler is so that is the one they tend to pick, but they are both good toilets.

The older style toilets have zero advantage over the newer ones, I can't begin to imagine reccomending the pre-gen 6 toilet to anyone. The one negative of the new toilets has to be the increase in noise but I find most customers are fine with that.

In the last six months or so I have been putting in more of the "super toilets "then ever before and customers just love them. Most of the work is word of mouth from other customers that tell a friend or relative how happy they are to get rid of the older style toilet that plugs. Plugging is a common complaint, that's why Kohler and others are spending so much time re-engineering the whole line of fixtures, this problem is real and the older toilets will soon be gone. Double flushing is another problem for people who pay for sewer and water.

As far as back to back toilets, I have never had that problem. Mike

Comment

Yes the "washing of the bowl" has been a problem with these toilets accross the board. I do understand that Kohler has addressed the issue as did Toto a couple of years ago i was told. The other benefit of the toto over the kohler is the noise. The toto doesn't sound any different to me than previous models. I do like the fact that they are getting away from fluidmaster and going to the "hunter" style fill valve which i have been using for years and love. Glad to heat that you haven't had a problem wiht b to b installs. Alot of my customer base has houses built in 50's and 60's so b to b is very common.

The biggest advantage is that Toto is not in box stores. That is huge to me!!
            However the disadvantage - nobody has ever heard of them! But i have googled them myself and would not hesitate to have my customers do thier own research. I have even printed out consumer reviews offline to share with customers to offer some peace of mind. I think that along with my warranty that should open the mind of the weary customer looking for a mainstream brand name. FYI Lowes does stock parts for Toto!!

At any rate - closed sale a bit ago and will be installing Toto G-Max on Friday. $510.00 - toilet cost $250 w/ slow-close seat (ADA elogated). Fair sale, just glad to know that they won't go to lowes and see toilet for 200 bucks in some complete kit with wax ring, supply line, bolts etc. and think i am ripping them off since lowes would install for 99.00!!!!!!!!! I might can video tape it flushing a couple times adn post on youtube or something.

Comment

Originally posted by MPMGinAL View Post

The biggest advantage is that Toto is not in box stores. That is huge to me!!
              Agreed. My HD sells the cimarron for what I pay for it. I am better off telling a customer to go there and pick it up.
              West Trail Mechanical Ltd
              Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

1)remove waste and

J.C.
                I agree with you JC alot of these newer overated toilets just don't perform that well and cost alot more! I have used the above models listed and they have disappointed me. Brown Smeerie bowls are not my idea of a water saving toilet. I service the plumbing by myself at 14 school sites with hundreds of toilets; mostly flush valve. I still like the older 3 bolt tank Wellworth's for function and durability. I aso think that foreign countries shouldn't make toilets if they don't use toilets!
                Last edited by plumb4life; 02-04-2009, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Sold many toto drake at my former job and found they still clog just like any other toilet. I used to work at a large company that just used toto toilets for a large kick back. Talking to several tech who still works there they stop using toto due to several flaws such as clogging, can't get parts!!!!, and the g-max fill valve kept failing. Good Luck but you can still sell a quality toilet with the same profit.

Comment

Do you know what your toto toilets are missing?

A toto bidet seat! We have an extra one-brand new, still in box, even gift wrapped.
                    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                      Do you know what your toto toilets are missing?

A toto bidet seat! We have an extra one-brand new, still in box, even gift wrapped.
                      You can NEVER sell that. It's been such a terrific conversation piece.

J.C.

Comment

You can NEVER sell that. It's been such a terrific conversation piece.

J.C.

The conversation will NEVER be over
                        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Rivet it onto the front of the new trucks grill.

J.C.

Comment

the toto/ hunter ballcock is junk. they last a few years and fail.

the fluidmaster is the #1 ballcock for a reason. that's why kohler and american standard gave up on thier own models and switched over to the fluidmasters.

the toto's with the sani-gloss finish are easier to keep clean.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

I hate that you feel that way about the fill valve. Around here we have alot of parts of town where we can see 125psi to 180psi street pressures. Of course we put in prv's, but in my own experience if pressure gets even close to 100psi then the fluidmasters are useless. I jsut think that the fluidmaster has trouble handling spikes in pressure and they are quite loud at times. I am not sure what causes that but i have put in fluidmasters that really screamed. Even with relatively low pressure (75-85). Haven't used any of the fluidmaster pro series yet! How are they? Probably should be selling nothing but wolverine brass brass piston style fill valves that cost 50 bucks, buck i just can't make myself tell people they are better than fluidmaster or hunter.

Comment

Working...
                              X