X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois Licensing...

Just curious, what would it take for a journeyman plumber from out of state to become licensed in Illinois or in the city of Chicago?

Thanks for the info.

Re: Illinois Licensing...

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
    Just curious, what would it take for a journeyman plumber from out of state to become licensed in Illinois or in the city of Chicago?

Thanks for the info.
    This is from the following website for all states and this is for Illinois.

Most construction contractors don't need to be licensed in Illinois. Roofing contractors are the exception.

Website for all states is
    http://www.contractors-license.org/
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
      This is from the following website for all states and this is for Illinois.

Most construction contractors don't need to be licensed in Illinois. Roofing contractors are the exception.

Website for all states is
      http://www.contractors-license.org/
      That website is wrong.

My Mechanical license affords me reciprocity anywhere in the state except Cook County. I had to have proof a 4 year apprenticeship and 5 years journeyman level experience. I also had to take and pass with a 75% score or better, what was then the NAI Block.

Im guessing Norther Illinois Plumber would know all the details of your particular test.

Andy

Comment

Heck, I want to get licensed in Wisconsin so I can get work! What, no work there? Where do you live at? I have been looking for a Wisconsin plumber!

Comment

We have been extremely busy lately, just hope it continues. I live near the airport in Milwaukee. The owner of the company has talked about having one of us get licensed in Illinois so that we can help out with his pipe relining business.

Would it look better if I waited till after I pass my Masters this summer?

NIP-- where do you need your Wisconsin plumber to work?

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post

Thanks for the info.
            You slip a hundred to the governor!

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
              You slip a hundred to the governor!

LOL...that was last week!

I am looking for a service plumber in my area, the stateline/kenosha/Bristol. Someone I can refer calls to.

I am not sure what would help. I dont know the requirements for an out of state journeyman. Does the company already have an in?

Comment

The company doesn't have an in that I am aware of. The company I work for does travel to kenosha for some work and the racine area. We do all plumbing with the exception of sewer lateral and septic installs.

Thanks for the info all

Comment

You'll need proof of 4 years apprenticeship on a signed affidavit from a contractor ( not really sure what they would want from a journeyman ) , the state test is a little more involved and more expensive to obtain and renew . The Chicago license is less expensive ( $40.00 vs. $150 state ) to renew and the test is actually a little less involved . There are inspectors in the city that don't care for plumbers with a state lic. but I've never run across an inspector outside of the city that had any issues with my city lic. ( it states right on the front of the Chicago lic. that it is good in the city and thruout the state of Il. ). If you choose to go for the city lic. be aware that the codes are different in Chicago vs. the state and you'll need a Chicago code book for a little studying . One call to the Chicago Dept. of Buildings would get you an answer to your question . The address is 120 n. Racine Ave. and I think the ph. # is 312-743-9056
                  Last edited by leakfree; 02-06-2009, 08:01 PM.
                  Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

So is it the same with Wisconsin? Illinois Journeyman license...transfer that to Wisconsin and take the test?

If if were me, I would do the state version and forget the city. Reason being, some village inspectors dont LIKE the Chicago license and only honor the state one.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                      So is it the same with Wisconsin? Illinois Journeyman license...transfer that to Wisconsin and take the test?

If if were me, I would do the state version and forget the city. Reason being, some village inspectors dont LIKE the Chicago license and only honor the state one.

I've worked from Rockford to Ft. Sheridan to Kankakee to Dekalb and many points in between and never had a problem carrying a Chicago lic. but have seen many plumbers asked to leave a job in the city when they had a state lic. ( read what it says on the front of a Chicago lic. )

Comment

Sure, it depends on where you are, and how you deal with someone. Is it the same with Wisconsin? Will they accept the Illinois license and let you test for Wisconsin?

You are going to have to read it for me...I have never seen a Chicago license. Even when I worked in the city, I never saw anyone who had one.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                          Sure, it depends on where you are, and how you deal with someone. Is it the same with Wisconsin? Will they accept the Illinois license and let you test for Wisconsin?

You are going to have to read it for me...I have never seen a Chicago license. Even when I worked in the city, I never saw anyone who had one.

Read post # 9 again , I don't know for sure how states honor other states licenses for testing purposes . Another thing to keep in mind is that the state lic. requires you to have and document 4 hrs. of continuing ed. each year to keep the license in force when you renew , as of now the city doesn't . I have a Chicago lic. and still do my cont. ed. every year just in case but they have never asked for documentation or proof of doing it when I renew . I don't really know what they would accept for it if you did it out of state as an out of state plumber , it's easy to do if you do it thru one of the union halls ( 93 ,501 , 130 , 422 ) they have it all set up with the paper work already .
                          Last edited by leakfree; 02-08-2009, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Ok, I got you. You LIVE in Wisconsin, but are licensed in Illinois?

Comment

Working...
                            X