X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad CPVC What now ?

Got an emergency call yesterday (mobile Home) Broken Closet connection ...I Thought Polybutylene , But Noooo It is CPVC !
    Only 12 Years Old ! Joined by Flow guard gold ... Got under the house and 2 more snapped , barley touched them ! I have Installed Hundreds of jobs with CPVC ... I wipe the Joints ... these joints all have about 1/8" Ring of glue right at the fitting (this is the breaking point ) I Gave them a bid using Uponor ...

I have seen CPVC in service Twice this long with NO Problems Why this one ? Had another one last week ...

So IS UPONOR the Holy Grail ?

Dave

Re: Bad CPVC What now ?

Dave-
    Please contact us immediately at 888-234-2436, X447-7393 to resolve this issue. I am replying as a representative from Lubrizol, the manufacturer of the CPVC used to make the FlowGuard Gold pipe and fittings. What you found is highly unusual and we would like to have our representative in your area work with you to see what could possibly be the cause.

Thanks,
    FlowGuard Gold pipe & fittings

Comment

Dave, great question. As a user of Flowguard Gold is nice to see the company step-up to the plate. Please keep everyone in the loop on the outcome. Mike

Comment

We have found that the cpvc will get brittle after time but mostly on hot water side and not so much on the cold side. Many times have we cut into existing Flowguard Gold to add something like a humidifer or hot and cold for a garage and the pipes would crack and split from the pressure of using a ratchet cutter. I would say that it is not from the glue ring around the fitting but instead the resin used to make the pipe becomes brittle after time.
        ________
        VAPIR AIR ONE VAPORIZER
        Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:21 PM.
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by CPVCPlumbing View Post
          Dave-
          Please contact us immediately at 888-234-2436, X447-7393 to resolve this issue. I am replying as a representative from Lubrizol, the manufacturer of the CPVC used to make the FlowGuard Gold pipe and fittings. What you found is highly unusual and we would like to have our representative in your area work with you to see what could possibly be the cause.

Thanks,
          FlowGuard Gold pipe & fittings
          wow now thats customer service!!

Comment

Is it just me or is it kind of wierd that the response was that quick for a CPVC problem. As a service plumber I dread seeing flowguard and warn customers before I touch it. The only thing cpvc is good for is a T and P line. Am I the only one who thinks this way?

Comment

This is interesting information. I hadn't run into any problems with the newer cpvc flowguard gold; just the older kind, very brittle and have repaired some after major water damage to the homes. My 7 year old modular home has flowguard cpvc in it with no problems so far. I will keep a close eye on it.

Comment

OK Here is the Scoop ... After many Phone Calls ... The Flow guard Gold Is Excellent Stuff ... NEVER Had problems ...

This Stuff is an Inferior Impostor No ratings or approval Codes !

Palm Harbor Homes really SCREWED THE POOCH on this one They are Saying It's Not US ... But Look at the Photo ... Looks Like Some DRUNK SLOBS Did their Plumbing ! ( I would run someone off if I saw something like this !!!

The Resin Suppliers Were Very Interested to Investigate If it was their Stuff .. Very Fast Professional Response !!!

I always use the "real Deal" CYA !!!

Dave

Comment

You've got to remember that in the manufactured home industry that real plumbers are not piping these homes...............the same people that frame them, paint them, and slap the rest toghether do the plumbing; scary, I know!

Comment

Originally posted by bacskcah View Post
                    Is it just me or is it kind of wierd that the response was that quick for a CPVC problem. As a service plumber I dread seeing flowguard and warn customers before I touch it. The only thing cpvc is good for is a T and P line. Am I the only one who thinks this way?
                    you aren't the only one, I feel the same way.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I have yet to see any bad flowguard cpvc pipe except for a bad manufactured brass/cpvc mip adapter that separated and flooded a house. (Luckly not my installation). I would like to hear from others if they routinely run into bad flowguard pipe. I don't use cpvc except when needed for tying in an existing system.

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
                        You've got to remember that in the manufactured home industry that real plumbers are not piping these homes...............the same people that frame them, paint them, and slap the rest toghether do the plumbing; scary, I know!

I bet they even install fire sprinklers........................I know, I know give it a rest

G3

Comment

Working...
                        X