X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extra insulation for HWH/HWT??

do any of you guys ever install the insulation jackets that can be purchased on the market?

the reason i ask is because there used to be an "energy efficiency officer" up here and he did some studies that suggested that the extra insulation jacket installed over the tank greatly reduced the heat loss of the appliance.

Vince

in the 80's, the territorial gov't had officers for everything. at the time i used to think they were a waste of tax payer's money, but given the current state of the local infastructure, we were better off then than our current state of disrepair.

Re: extra insulation for HWH/HWT??

I don't usually install them unless the customer insists on it. Some of the brands of water heaters say it will void their warranty.

Comment

I have installed 2 types: A) the silver plastic air bubble type and B) the fiberglass with plastic coating on the outside type. Both are good and both will save some energy in the long term. I know they work because after they are installed and you slip a finger under the insulation, you can feel the steel sheet metal is warm. Without the insulation the steel sheeting is cool to touch since it dissipates any heat from inside real fast on contact with the air. Precautions: with electric, its not an issue but with Natural Gas you have to watch out that don't interfere with any air that is needed for combustion near the burner. And also, do not interfere with any venting period on the top of the tank...be wise. And obviously with both do not cover over the T&P valve & pipe...go under it.
      As for voiding the warranty...that's dumb....since the better tanks have MORE foam insulation inside. (in any event take off the extra insulation when seeking warranty work...make them happy).
      The COLDER your ambient temperature is in your basement (99% of tanks are in basements in Toronto), the more the extra insulation willl help.

Comment

You will never recoup the money you spend on the product in energy savings. And if you pay someone else to install it, forget it.

Definitely keep ther insulation away from burners and fresh air on gas units.

I never install them on electric heaters. Especially ones that are installed in unconditioned spaces like basements and crawlspaces. The limits and thermostats become corroded over time from condensation. This leads to early failure.

Comment

Cover up the warning stickers on the face of the heater and expose myself to litigation? No, thank you.

Comment

Well, my fiberglass kits cost me 10 bucks on sale so that's not a big expense. But I have a cousin who made one out of a piece of that plastic air bubble thermal blankets for pools that a neighbour through out. Cost him nothing.

Comment

Nope...
              voids the warranty and creates an unsafe condition with the unit. I throw them away whenever I encounter them, the owner understands after I explain the issues.
              sigpic
              www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

can you explain the issues? i've been wondering if they were worthwhile, keeping them away from the flue and gas valves obviously.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

The water heater blankets seem to be the thing to do back when R8 heaters were the norm but these days R16 heaters are more widely used and insulated very well.

Comment

Working...
                  X