X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless Steel Domestic HWH/HWT

do you think something like this would be good.

i realize it would be just a tad more expensive that a regular run of the mill tank.

i wonder how long something like that would last?

would it even work?

Just wondering.

Vince

would be kinda neat to have a HWH/HWT that could last 30-40 years.

Re: Stainless Steel Domestic HWH/HWT

When I left the North East, a few years ago, we were still pulling out the occasional MONEL (Copper/nickle tank). Some lasted 40+ years. We had a local tank maker who made cement lined tanks that held up very well too. Sepco, I think was the name.
    Mike
    http://www.vaughncorp.com/html/electric.html

Comment

I'm sure one of our members could tells us what, if anything, electrolysis could do to the tank, But from my end it sounds great, as long as there is an access hatch for it near the bottom so we can clean the hard water build up out.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

insinkerator has a stainless instant hot water tank now for the last few years.

this tank is only 2/3 gallon but does see temperatures up to 212

this being an electric tank, there is no real direct heat to the bottom of the heater such as we see in a gas model.

american appliance even made a plastic electric water heater. i think that had a lifetime warranty on the tank.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Hoyt (a water heater co.) made an all copper tank that had had the exhaust flowing up around the outside of the tank instead of a central flue running up the middle. When I replaced this exact heater in my parents house two years ago it was over 60 years old and still running fine. Sure I could have scrapped out the copper tank and made a mini fortune, but I donated it to L.A. trade tech's plumbing division so their students could see what type of quality was present in the 1940'S. Unfortunately Hoyt made such a good heater that it may have put them out of business.

Comment

Hoyt went out of business because of Oakland labor rates compared to those in the south, where the other manufacturers migrated to.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
              I'm sure one of our members could tells us what, if anything, electrolysis could do to the tank, But from my end it sounds great, as long as there is an access hatch for it near the bottom so we can clean the hard water build up out.
              dont think there would be an eclectrolysis problem.. over the summer we installed a 10 thousand gal. stainless domestic water tank and the plan was for it to last forever

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. House View Post
                dont think there would be an eclectrolysis problem.. over the summer we installed a 10 thousand gal. stainless domestic water tank and the plan was for it to last forever
                does a tank like that have a way to access and clean the inside? or do you just have to trust your softener?
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Ok.... I've been racking my brains now for over an hour and Googling till my fingers got sore. I know there is\was a company making an indirect with a stainless tank and stainless coil but I just can't remember who? I think it might have been Ultimate or something like it. Senility sucks.....Where am I?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    Ok.... I've been racking my brains now for over an hour and Googling till my fingers got sore. I know there is\was a company making an indirect with a stainless tank and stainless coil but I just can't remember who? I think it might have been Ultimate or something like it. Senility sucks.....Where am I?
                    \

Munchkin's SuperStor Ultra?
                    It has a cupronickel heat exchanger

Viesmann Vitocell-H 30?
                    Last edited by Plumbus; 02-07-2009, 06:30 PM.

Comment

It will have an access or man hole on the side near the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        Senility sucks.....Where am I?
                        It's O.K. NH, You are in Maine (a.k.a. A state of confusion). I fear you are suffering from a case of Brainious iceatosos, a.k.a. Brain Freeze.
                        Fist you must calm yourself and catch your breath.

Once you have gathered your composure, head to the nearest wood stove and thaw out.

Once you have thawed, contact your nearest Travel Agent and book a flight for two to a warm tropical island for at least a week.

Hey,
                        Just wondering, since I saved your life and all, what do you plan to do with that extra ticket?
                        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

NH
                          Yes, Ultimate was or is a stainless indirect hot water tank. I've put a few in. If I remember correctly they were blue with black trim. Peerless maybe? No, I'll find it.
                          Mike

Comment

Triangle Tube (Phase III) and Weil Mclain (Ultra Plus) make a indirect fired heater made of stainless steel

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                              do you think something like this would be good.

i realize it would be just a tad more expensive that a regular run of the mill tank.

i wonder how long something like that would last?

would it even work?

Just wondering.

Vince

would be kinda neat to have a HWH/HWT that could last 30-40 years.
                              Whirlpool has a lifetime warranty on certain models of electric water heaters.

Comment

Working...
                              X