Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is this tool used for ?

Originally posted by Mikes Plumbing View Post
    Is there a patent number on it? If so you can try a simple patent search. Mike
    Couldn't see one in the photo, we'll have to wait for leakfree to provide more info or additional photos.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
      I inverted and zoomed in on this.
      Looks like the letters JIC after RIDGID logo (with the interlocked D & G).

I wonder what the date was when they first started using that logo?
      That would help date it at least as to the oldest it could be.

Name:  6cf7565a8515db8755ba9529c1d38943.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  48.4 KB
      jic is a hydraulic type connection. i wonder if that's a clue

and i don't think i need one, or two

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I'm with Rick on the meaning of "JIC", which is actually "Joint International Council". I learned this from my hydraulic training years ago. All of the Industrial Hydraulic fittings I have encountered were labeled "JIC". The sizes are even the type used with steel hydraulic tubing. Now-I'm only 59+ years old and have had the pleasure in my lifetime of working with a plumber in the summer of either '66 or '67 who taught me how to do leading on cast iron pipe. He "allowed me to graduate" when I could do a horizontal, overhead joint correctly. I don't ever remember seeing a tool such as this for leading C.I. bell and socket joints.

Comment

I passed the picture around to a number of people with experience. The consensus was that it is part of some sort of bending tool.
          Anyone have an old Ridgid catalog lying around? Better yet, doesn't Ridge have a library of their literature?

Comment

its not for lead work..i think it goes with a machine of some type
            whats with this forign language down here at the bottom of the page, have they moved the ridgid forum down south? whats up?
            I like it like that !
            and, It's like that now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim
              Are you sure that isn't JIG?
              Compare it to the G in Ridgid.
              You are right it is difficult to make out. It also doesn't seem like theer is enough space for (as in where are) the ID in RIGID. Following the D that certaintly looks like a J to me.

Ridge have a library of their literature?
              I have been looking around the RIDGID Site and the net this morning and have not located any old RIDGID tool catalogs.

I did come across this site though, which some may find helpful in the future.
              http://alloy-artifacts.com/index.html

Look around, lots of interesting stuff, like this:

"Ridge Tool is best known for their Ridgid trademark, but the company also sold tools under the "Ritco" brand. "
              Last edited by Bob D.; 02-09-2009, 01:43 PM.

Comment

OK, you're gonna love this. It's not the answer to what this tool is used for...it's better

Trust me, you're gonna love it.
                Last edited by Bob D.; 02-09-2009, 10:16 PM. Reason: fixed a typo

Comment

I did come across this site though, which some may find helpful in the future.
                  http://alloy-artifacts.com/index.html

Bob
                  Found this on your site:
                  3,192,805 81/414 H.H. Manning Channellock Inc. 04/17/1963 07/06/1965 Improved tongue-and-groove pliers

Comment

OK... We have let you all stew long enough. It was too much fun reading all the guesses to just answer too quickly. The tool is a #71 RIDG JIG. Basically as several of you hinted it acts as an extra hand. The purpose is to hold joints steady and tight so you can easily solder. If I can get the system to allow me to upload I will attach an old Cat sheet on the product.

Comment

You mean its someone's attempt to make bailing wire obsolete ? Impossible!

Comment

Originally posted by Tech.Man View Post
                        OK... We have let you all stew long enough. It was too much fun reading all the guesses to just answer too quickly. The tool is a #71 RIDG JIG. Basically as several of you hinted it acts as an extra hand. The purpose is to hold joints steady and tight so you can easily solder. If I can get the system to allow me to upload I will attach an old Cat sheet on the product.
                        Does this mean my wife is out of a job???

Comment

That takes all the fun out of it...

Nothing like getting that joint hot and it pops apart on ya.

If I push it back together fast enough I bet I won't get burned either

Bill

Comment

I'm still gonna stick with my bailing wire

Comment

Am I an idiot?

How is that thing used to hold pipes together?

Looks like more of a shoehorn to me

Comment

Well at least somebody was able to identify it . Must not have been a very popular / necessary tool back in the days of old . The only way that I could figure out how to use it was to wrap it around a vent or waste line and clip the copper into the sized cutouts on it . Any value as an antique or just keep it as a novelty tool ?

Thanks for the help
                                Last edited by leakfree; 02-09-2009, 07:03 PM.
                                Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

Working...
                                X