X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which B&G pump?

Can you identify the specs on this B&G pump? Don't run into them much and no dealers near here anymore.

I'd like to put the exact spec in but might have to cross reference with what's available locally.

Hot water recirc line in a 4 story building. Thanks for all input.

J.C.

(Pics aren't great. Didn't have my other camera.)
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 11:42 PM.

Re: Which B&G pump?

Its a Bell & Gossett 100 what part do you need? motor, coupling?

Comment

Nevermind the seal looks shot, I guess no one knew it needed to be oiled once a year? Tell me more and I can spec out a grundfos if you like? A series 100 produces about 35 GPM at 18' TDH, although those 100 arent really meant for domestic recirculation. On a 4 story building you will need a pump capable of handling about 40' TDH. How many people live there? what kind of flow do you need to provide?
      Last edited by wrench spinner; 02-09-2009, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Yep. That looks right. Thanks.

I'm going to replace everything. They had changed maintenance personnel and they don't know anything about it. It's a long story seeking this problem out. Above it about 24" sitting on the pump switch is an oil bottle with the long straw. Guess it hasn't been used in a while.

It's locked up. Couldn't get it moving and somebody has been "monkeying" with it on the shaft end. A piece loose in there I can't see well.

Anyway. It does look to be a B&G 100 series. Thanks again. I'll try to get one.

Those pics are from the MicroExplorer. Not bad in my opinion as this is not what it was intended for.

One more question. What Taco or Grundfos pumps would cross reference if I had to use them?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
          Nevermind the seal looks shot, I guess no one knew it needed to be oiled once a year? Tell me more and I can spec out a grundfos if you like? A series 100 produces about 35 GPM at 18' TDH, although those 100 arent really meant for domestic recirculation. On a 4 story building you will need a pump capable of handling about 40' TDH. How many people live there? what kind of flow do you need to provide?
          1) How many live there? The building does not have residential occupants.

2) What kind of flow rate do I need to provide? This will be frustrating for you but I honestly have no idea. The hot water system is never taxed heavily at one end or the other to my knowledge. The recirc line is only 1/2" so I'm thinking I want to keep things slow moving.

Should it be bronze?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

"What Taco or Grundfos pumps would cross reference if I had to use them?"

Grundfos equal:
            UP26-99FC/BFC
            BFC is 230v.

Taco equal:
            0014BFI
            (available in 230/60/1)

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
              "What Taco or Grundfos pumps would cross reference if I had to use them?"

Grundfos equal:
              UP26-99FC/BFC
              BFC is 230v.

Taco equal:
              0014BFI
              (available in 230/60/1)
              Pump is 120V. Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

That B&G 100 was the wrong pump for that application. How many pinholes have been repaired on the hot water line? Bronze is a MUST!

If the B&G circulated fine before it failed then you can probably get by with a less expensive pump like the Taco 003 http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/Fil...ry/101-061.pdf

If you are concerned about head, then the Taco 009 http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/Fil...ry/101-032.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                  That B&G 100 was the wrong pump for that application. How many pinholes have been repaired on the hot water line? Bronze is a MUST!

If the B&G circulated fine before it failed then you can probably get by with a less expensive pump like the Taco 003 http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/Fil...ry/101-061.pdf

If you are concerned about head, then the Taco 009 http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/Fil...ry/101-032.pdf
                  Go with the 003 it should be fine with a 1/2" return, the 009 will put out too much flow, too high of a velocity and erode the return if it isnt already

Comment

Thanks.

Taco 003- 1/40 HP

Current B&G- 1/12 HP

Taco 003 in bronze still seem right?

J.C.

Comment

JC you can pretty much go with anyone's bronze pump here. Grundfos or Taco. The BG100 has more HP but a lot less efficiency.
                      sigpic

Comment

Believe it or not you may be able to get away with a really small Grundfos possibly a UP 15-18 SF. Before you get too deep into this thing, is this recirc line already hot ? It's possible you may not need a pump at all. Throw in some isolation valves and a blow down bib and then run this thing into a bucket to determine how many gallons it takes to get the return line hot, this may help give you a better idea of how big the system is.

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
                          Believe it or not you may be able to get away with a really small Grundfos possibly a UP 15-18 SF. Before you get too deep into this thing, is this recirc line already hot ? It's possible you may not need a pump at all. Throw in some isolation valves and a blow down bib and then run this thing into a bucket to determine how many gallons it takes to get the return line hot, this may help give you a better idea of how big the system is.
                          I don't know if I have the brains/experience for that. What's happening is that they have another heater on another floor that there is a T off of the hotline going to only one lav. about 4' away.

Picture the hotline off of this heater going through the floor but has a T to the lav. beforehand. You turn on the lav. and the water goes warm-cool-warm-cool and never gets hot. There is not anything wrong with the water heater.

So I go looking around. I find a mechanical room with the main water heater. Nothing wrong with it either. But this pump is locked up tight. I think (guessing) that the hot line stays cold and is mixing at the T at the other heater with the hot coming out of it.

We know the pump is not working. So replace it anyway and see.

J.C.

Comment

Go to the heater on the "other floor" and shut down the incoming cold feed. Now go check that hot side on the basin. If there is still water coming out of it and this is not a single handle fixture, leave the water running slowly (if the drain can handle it) and run down to the mechanical room. Check the recirc return line, did it get hot? Anyways, go for the smallest circ pump you can, those old B and G pumps were so inefficient that I never saw one cavitate a return line.

Comment

Working...
                            X