X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding manifold in wall

Hey guys I had a call yesterday that had a leak under the ground in the master bathroom. I traced it to the hot 1/2 copper going to the sink. I opened the wall and seen water coming from the black polly. So it was leaking from under the slab i cut holes in the wall where I thought it would be but did not wanna cut up the whole bathroom to find it. The only manifold I could find was in the wall at the kithen sink but if I cap that it will shut down the whole bathroom. Any ideas to find them behind the walls Thanks
    You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Re: Finding manifold in wall

There are so many possibilities, we ran the manifold system in SoCal, or a drawing showing the layout, it is tough to explain over the net without some visual.
    The tub is a favorite as there is room on the inside of the stud framing.
    sigpic
    www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

In the wall sometimes a stethescope will work but many times I stood back and just thought about it for a while. Size up the job and pretend you plumbed the rough. If you were the original plumber where would you put it? This can be a real challenge. Sometimes you can use gravity to your advantage. Take a piece of base trim off and cut holes behind where the trim goes, that way you can see if it's wet between the studs and move from stud to stud until you find a wet one. When the trim goes back it then covers the holes used to find the leak.

One thing I will say that works for me. I always tell the homeowner the holes I make will be big and using my hands make a big circle in front of them. Then I try real hard to make a small hole so when the homeowner looks at the actual size it's smaller than they thought and I look like a hero. Then I roll the dice. Good luck.......Mike

Comment

If you have one of the small inspection cameras you can take the trim off the tub or shower & have a look around. No drywall to repair.

If the manifold is in the lav. area you can make a smaller hole in the cabinet and do the same thing. Sometimes you can even back an escutcheon up and there's enough room to take a peek.

J.C.

Comment

By the way, make sure the leak isn't in the slab. Weird things happen and it's easy to mis diagnose the problem until after you start carving.

A good way to find A leak in the slab is to put a cat in the room and let it go to sleep. A cat will always find and lay on the hottest spot in the room.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes Plumbing View Post
            By the way, make sure the leak isn't in the slab. Weird things happen and it's easy to mis diagnose the problem until after you start carving.

A good way to find A leak in the slab is to put a cat in the room and let it go to sleep. A cat will always find and lay on the hottest spot in the room.
            Damm! Now I gotta' have one more thing on the truck.

"Helper, go get the cat!"

J.C.

Comment

Hey guys I had a call yesterday that had a leak under the ground in the master bathroom.
              Yep he has that part down, the way I am reading the post is he is looking for the manifold that feeds the lav, which is fed from a manifold at the kitchen sink.
              sigpic
              www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

J.C. ,I figured you'd get a laugh outa this one. It works! I once worked with an old plumber that convienced me to get a cat from my sister and we found a leak in a great big slab. I never laughed so hard in my life, but it worked. We cut a hole in it an there it was. Never again will I doubt a senior plumber.........never. I had to buy him lunch also. Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes Plumbing View Post
                  J.C. ,I figured you'd get a laugh outa this one. It works! I once worked with an old plumber that convienced me to get a cat from my sister and we found a leak in a great big slab. I never laughed so hard in my life, but it worked. We cut a hole in it an there it was. Never again will I doubt a senior plumber.........never. I had to buy him lunch also. Mike
                  I dare not dispute experience. Now I'm gonna' have to compete with all of the local plumbers at the animal shelter for the cold cat with no hair.

J.C.

Comment

Mr.Bigglesworth

Comment

Exactly. I can do a pretty good Dr. Evil too.

"Helper! Bring me Mr. Bigglesworth now!"

J.C.

Comment

The home owner just called me and told me he found it! He was remodeling the house so he didnt mind cutting all the walls in the bathroom but he did not find it in there so he started cutting in the bedroom and found it on the wall thats not even close to the bathroom I dont get it, how do you install it away from all the fixtures then run them back under to each one. Do they make any tool that will detect copper that would make it easy.
                        You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

A metal detector........oooooooooohhh I just thought of something, I could make a leather tool pouch for that. HA

Comment

I have worked for some residential contractors that insisted that we use up all shorter pieces of soft copper. Manifolds ended up anywhere.

Comment

Short pieces have thier place..But to use them cause you got them ..
                              Messes With the next plumber.

Comment

Working...
                              X