X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad vibes from customers???

I sent a quote of $425 to a tile guy for setting an americast tub and installing a shower body. He originally told me that the owner was gonna buy the tub and shower valve from home depot. In the quote I stated that since the homeowner feels strongly about buying their own material, only my labor and piping will be covered by my 1 yr installers warranty. So the owner calls me today...I guess the tile guy got tired of being the middle man. He tells me that he thinks $400 is expensive, I tell him that it was $425 and that it's not expensive, "Feel free to call other plumbers". So he backs off on that and moves on to telling me that he decided to use an acrylic tub instead. Then he tells me that the supply house wouldn't tell him what my cost is for the tub (WHAT A SHOCKER!!!!) He wanted me to tell him my price for the tub and NOW 3 Cimmaron toilets.....and also a price to install them and "If your price isn't sky high then I'll let you install them." I didn't realize it till after getting off the phone, but this guy thinks that I'll just sell him the material at my cost plus 20% mark-up...WITHOUT INSTALLING IT????? I'm getting a bad vibe off of him...would you guys just drop the job or do it....I'm not dead slow anyway.

Re: Bad vibes from customers???

Price it how you want too. On your terms in writing.

Charge for the estimate. This person will not want to pay for the estimate probably. Tell them you charge for written estimates/contracts as too many people are just "tire kickers" looking for the cheapest person and you'll credit the amount of the estimate towards the job if they sign the contract.

But I think they'll balk as soon as you tell them you charge for estimates. Then you're done wasting your time.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Stand by your bid and call him on his bluff.........let him do checking on other plumbers bids. He'll probably be back!

Comment

Good thread vette
        When I started my business I used to spend time with people like this until one day I realized I didn't want to build my business around this type of customer. Do you really ever make money from people like this? Hardly ever! Word of mouth is the best form of marketing so now ask youself will he supply word of mouth for me? No! The reason is no matter what you do for people like this they always feel as if you are making a ton of money, there just isn't any advantage to doing work like this. Saying no is sometimes hard but some of the best decisions I have made have been to turn down work. Mike

Comment

I'm just wondering if it's worth the trouble even if I jack up the price....what experiences have some of you had where in the end you wish you never even met the customer in the first place. My first $50,000 re-pipe was less complicated then this has been so far....

Comment

You just answered your question.

Comment

Thanks Mike, I think I just needed someone to confirm that I'm not in the Twilight zone...but I'd still love to hear some other "crazy customer" stories........

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes Plumbing View Post
                Good thread vette
                When I started my business I used to spend time with people like this until one day I realized I didn't want to build my business around this type of customer. Do you really ever make money from people like this? Hardly ever! Word of mouth is the best form of marketing so now ask youself will he supply word of mouth for me? No! The reason is no matter what you do for people like this they always feel as if you are making a ton of money, there just isn't any advantage to doing work like this. Saying no is sometimes hard but some of the best decisions I have made have been to turn down work. Mike
                Wisdom.

And get yourself a cat.

J.C.

Comment

I tell ya guys, when I started out in business I was real stupid even though I thought I had it all figured out. It's a learning curve for sure. The only way to learn is to go through stuff like this. There is a reality about a plumbing business that I learned by logging my jobs into a spread sheet. Every job I do nomatter the size I log it into a spread sheet. I Have a list of information I log and once a month I take a day and track the information. The job were talking about in this thread would turn up as a negative job in my spreadsheet so that is how I maximize my time. Looking at a monthly spreadsheet tells me which jobs end up as the best money makers. Once you have the data then just concentrate on the work that makes you the most money. Mike

Comment

If there is a single reason why I am successful lately, its because I am TOUGH. I don't play these games with people anymore. Lately, when I get these headache customers who want to control my business and tell me what to charge...I tell them I am sorry, but I am booked up until...FOREVER.

I learned that there are plenty of people out there that arent worth working for, and I am better off just telling them that I am too busy to look at their job, etc. I have WAY TOO MANY GOOD-PAYING, NICE CUSTOMERS to deal with the riff-raff complaining, tire-kickers any more.
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by vette850 View Post
                      I sent a quote of $425 to a tile guy for setting an americast tub and installing a shower body. He originally told me that the owner was gonna buy the tub and shower valve from home depot. In the quote I stated that since the homeowner feels strongly about buying their own material, only my labor and piping will be covered by my 1 yr installers warranty. So the owner calls me today...I guess the tile guy got tired of being the middle man RED FLAG. He tells me that he thinks $400 is expensive RED FLAG, I tell him that it was $425 and that it's not expensive, "Feel free to call other plumbers". So he backs off on that and moves on to telling me that he decided to use an acrylic tub instead. Then he tells me that the supply house wouldn't tell him what my cost is for the tub RED FLAG (WHAT A SHOCKER!!!!) He wanted me to tell him my price for the tub and NOW 3 Cimmaron toilets.....and also a price to install them and "If your price isn't sky high then I'll let you install them RED FLAG." I didn't realize it till after getting off the phone, but this guy thinks that I'll just sell him the material at my cost plus 20% mark-up...WITHOUT INSTALLING IT????? I'm getting a bad vibe off of him...would you guys just drop the job or do it....I'm not dead slow anyway.
                      Too many RED FLAGS if you ask me.

As soon as they start messing with the price, I start messing with the end call key.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Forget about this guy. He's trying to run your business. He sounds like a nickel and dimer who will try and cut a deal even after he agrees on a price.

Stick to your own/company policy and don't vary from it. Any time I vary from policy or my own gut feeling, it always comes back to bite me in the behind.
                        I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I always felt that in the service business my job was to take my customers problem, make it my problem and solve it for them. This did not include the "headache" factor. It took me years to realize that I could not make everyone happy. When I smelled a rat right from the get go I would take a tough stand hoping to chase the cheap ones away. Is the tile guy a friend of yours? If so he is the first link in weeding out customers like this. I would never refer my tile guy to a guy like this so you may want to chat with him. He is probably wishing he never got involved at all so at this point your still ahead in the game. Sometimes people need a reality check and that's when you suggest they call the biggest rip off in town. Remember not to take their job on when they call back begging.

Comment

Pass!

Comment

Working...
                            X