Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resetting a public toilet to be bullet proof.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resetting a public toilet to be bullet proof.

As if thats possible! I work for a large school district as their only service plumber and their repair lists get very long. Hundreds of toilets that get used countless times in a day. One very common issue is loose toilets at their base. Fat kids with aggressive atitudes take their tole. The closet bolts shear off all the time. I went to 5/16" solid brass closet bolts for durability. (Brass plated steel bolts rust out rather quickly.) I then jamnut the bolts to the closet ring, then set the wax ring and set the bowl, I use blue locktite on the threads, (nylocknuts can be used but its hard to tell if they are tight or not and you risk overtightening and breaking the bowl.) Then trim off the excess threads and install the caps. A fat layer of clear caulk goes around the base and I'm done. This works for me. Hope it works for others.........................
    Last edited by plumb4life; 02-10-2009, 12:50 AM.

Re: Resetting a public toilet to be bullet proof.

Sounds good to me. There's only so much you can do.

What I don't like is when guys use grout on the bowl.

I've had very difficult times removing commodes and urinals sealed with grout.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

have they thought of using stainless toilets / such as used in prisons and beaches.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Have a few vintage alumimum ones ,,free you pick up
        Attached Files

Comment

i had a client a while back whose husband, tired of a leaking base, actually made a 1 1/2" riser, extended the pipe, braced the toilet, and filled it in with CONCRETE!! it will never leak on the floor again and it's impossible to get to the blockage from the outside C.O.

i have no idea how they resolved the situation. i speak less spanish than they speak english.

the strange things we see

steve
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            have they thought of using stainless toilets / such as used in prisons and beaches.

rick.
            I have considered stainless Institutional fixtures but with the budget shortages these days they reject the much higher cost. For the scoundrels that shatter the bowls with their skateboards stainless would be the only alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
              i had a client a while back whose husband, tired of a leaking base, actually made a 1 1/2" riser, extended the pipe, braced the toilet, and filled it in with CONCRETE!! it will never leak on the floor again and it's impossible to get to the blockage from the outside C.O.

i have no idea how they resolved the situation. i speak less spanish than they speak english.

the strange things we see

steve
              Try removing a wall hung urinal after some rocket scientist put tile around it!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
                I have considered stainless Institutional fixtures but with the budget shortages these days they reject the much higher cost. For the scoundrels that shatter the bowls with their skateboards stainless would be the only alternative.
                maybe they'll reconsider when one of the skateboarders cuts themselves on the broken shards.

lawsuit.

Vince

also, maybe a cost comparison might be in order to justify the initial cost of the SS WC's.

why are these idiots allowed to have their skateboards in a school anyways?

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                  maybe they'll reconsider when one of the skateboarders cuts themselves on the broken shards.

lawsuit.

Vince

also, maybe a cost comparison might be in order to justify the initial cost of the SS WC's.

why are these idiots allowed to have their skateboards in a school anyways?
                  Who says they are allowed? Kids these days do what they want and get away with alot. To punish them would lower their "self esteem" Welcome to California, the King of the Nanny States.

Comment

Had one of these once, there was a guy that would come in for a landing just like a 747 every time. There I was once a month for three months doing a warranty reset. I hate to admit that I did this but the last reset I did, I used "GOOP" under the base of the toilet. The reason I chose GOOP was because it sets up pretty quickly. I still caulked around the base of the toilet. Told this guy not to use it till the next morning but I know he did not. It worked because I continued to do their plumbing for over ten years and he would remind me of the toilet every time. I was talking to someone about GOOP because I was using it to fix one of my work boots and he informed me that regardless of what it says on the outside of the tube (there are GOOP'S for every trade) the stuff on the inside is the same. Talk about a marketing technique.

Comment

In my experience the kicking of the flushometer handle is what causes the loosening and breaking of the closet bolts. You could change to those toto no touch sensor flushers or put the handles up higher so they can't kick them.
                      ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

I am experimenting with some brands of auto flushers, but at $200 to $300 each times hundreds of toilets ? The school district wouldn't go for that. Also I found that the kids targeted the auto flushers more with vandalism and I just end up putting the handles back on. A local Zurn distributor called me today and offered me free one of their 1 pint flush urinal and flushvalve combo. We will see what a powerhouse that one is. I'm not giving up though. I will keep experimenting and trying different things.
                        Last edited by plumb4life; 02-11-2009, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X