X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaking toilet mystery

New toilet is leaking between the bowl and tank. It is dry in the morning but drips during the day as it is used. It's a new Crane Cranada toilet, #3-514 tank and #3352 bowl, bought as a set. I've had it apart 3 times and replaced the sponge seal twice. It came with the Crane "oversize" seal that fits right over the big nut and that's what I bought to replace it. It's the biggest seal I've seen. I tightened the bolts until the tank and bowl come in contact. The tank is not sweating. I should mention the I bought two of these toilets and both leaked but the one in the 1/2 bath that is used less often stopped on it's own.I wondered if the tank and bowl were not compatible but Home Building Centre says they are. They say I must be doing something wrong. I'm baffled. Murray

I had this problem and I was told that if the tank wiggles it is not tight enough. the tank should be tighten until it seats on the bowl

Comment

Be careful that you don't overtighten the bolts, it's very easy to crack the tank or the bowl if you over tighten them. It sounds to me like one bolts is tightened more that the other(s). All the bolts should be tightened uniformly. One way to do that is to eyeball the threads as they come out of the nut until the same amount of threads are showing on each bolt.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Guys, the tank is tightened down evenly so that the bumps on the bottom of the tank are in contact with the surface of the bowl. I wasn't able to wiggle the tank left and right but I was able to move it some forward on one side, backward on the other. I tightened the bolts about a 1/2 turn more. I don't dare tighten any more. I am not able to move the tank at all now. I'll let you know how it worked. Murray

Comment

Still leaking!

Comment

I'm sure you have flushed it with the top off and checked for water spraying from the tower that might leak out the top and run down the back of the tank, and that the water height is not high enough to seep out at the back.
            If it only leaks when flushed the tank must be water tight so the water has to be seeping out from the nut seal on the connection between the tank and bowl, also strange as there really is not alot of back pressure to cause a leak.
            Next thing to try to figure out is which side of the seal is leaking. Is it between the bowl and the seal on the outside or is it up the inside between the plastic threaded outlet from the tank and the seal where water would come out the top of the seal then down to the bowl.
            Any chance on returning them for a different model all together?

Comment

I did exchange the tank where I bought the toilet thinking the assembly might be leaking at the big nut but that didn't help. I'm wondering if the bowl and tank are not a matching pair. The lumber/hardware store swears they are but when I checked the Crane web-site (http://craneplumbing.ca) there are 12 different tank/bowl combinations shown for the Cranada and my two (3352 bowl and 3514 tank) aren't shown together. But, I still have the cardboard boxes they come in and tank box lists several bowls it can be used on, including the 3352. I'd like to ask someone at Crane but there is no "contact us" on their site. As to your suggestion, there's no spray that might run down the back. Murray

Comment

Sure there is:
                15 Crane Avenue
                Stratford, Ontario, Canada
                N5A 6T3

CANADIAN CONTACT INFO

Phone: 1-800-463-2726
                Fax: 1-800-845-7158

E-mail: Canadian Sales

Comment

I've e-mailed Crane a big letter. I'll let you know if they reply. Murray

Comment

My best guess would be that the toilet is defective and you should exchange it for a new one.

Comment

Take it back and get a new one from a plumbing supplier, then you will know its good and you will save money

Comment

After some discussion with Crane's national customer service guy I ended up exchanging the toilet. Problem solved. He thought the problem was with the tapered black rubber gasket at the bottom of the fluch tube ( below the flapper ). Sometimes the edge of the rubber can be propped up a bit by an off centre tank liner or the rubber itself could be a problem. I could have figured it ouy eventually but it was less trouble to exchange it. The Crane guy even offered some monetary compensation. Murray

Comment

Glad you got it fixed. Sounds like Crane has good customer service too

Comment

Working...
                          X