Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: General Contractors

Something is still very SCREWY.
    TJI's do not deflect(there is no crown).If they do someone screwed up.Same with microlams.

Comment

Believe it or not they do have a deflection table, I was shocked to see it... (Check the attachment that Gizmoman posted page 3).

I'm not a structural PE but do know a few

My thought is that if I follow the drilling rules AND let the GC drill the beams my exposure is VERY low IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmoman View Post
        Maybe these installation charts will help you out.
        The 30' span depends on the like loads involved for deflection and which TJI they used 2 5/16 or 3 1/2 top and bottom cords.
        Either way this is up to the GC. He will have all the exposure at the end of the day.

http://www.ilevel.com/literature/TJ-4005.pdf
        Not necessarily so at the end of the day. There can be more than one party sued!
        Charts can Be misleading to the live,wind ,shear ect. Don't play Eng.Unless You have that state stamp. This is a TAR BABY!
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          Something is still very SCREWY.
          TJI's do not deflect(there is no crown).If they do someone screwed up.Same with microlams.
          Sure TJI's deflects and so do Microlams. All products have deflection even steel I beams have deflection.
          If you were to stand on a 12''x20' TJI standing upright, string a line on the bottom and check the sag. Then do the same process with a 18''x 20' TJI the sag would be different between the two. Sag & deflection is the same thing.
          Do the same example you did above except hold a full barrel ( Keg) of Bud Light while standing on the TJI thats 18''x20'' there would be a different sag or deflection than the example above.
          Now add all the mechanicals, sheetrock,tile, furniture,ect, to a similar floor or system there is a different deflection between the 12'' & 18'' TJI. It wouldn't make any difference if the joist were 12,16,or 24'' on center. All 3 would have a different defelection calculation.
          You know the old saying (Size Dosn't Matter) in some cases it doe's.
          No I'm not a structural engineer,just remember working in the trenches years ago trying to work my way out remembering as much as possible when I got out.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            Not necessarily so at the end of the day. There can be more than one party sued!
            Charts can Be misleading to the live,wind ,shear ect. Don't play Eng.Unless You have that state stamp. This is a TAR BABY!

I will not play engineer for sure but I know where to go if I have questions

I'm going to let the GC drill the beams and press on unless I read something in the beam specs that will conflict with the plumbing layouts then it will be back to the drawing board for the GC...

Comment

18" TJI's would be a dream to top out.Your in great shape.Just stay away from any offsets within the minimum distance off bearing points(hangers,walls).A lot of people make the mistake that every wall under a TJI is a bearing one,not the case.You are going to love them.I like the fact that I can easily center as large as a 3" comby right in the of one if I had to.Try that with an old school joist.
              Although you are not allowed to touch the bottom or top member due to the fact that they are provding all of the strength.Inspectors would freak if I even drove a nail into their side splitting the laminate.

Comment

Yep,
                The "TrusJoist" product has many different configurations ranging from the 110's with their 1-3/4" members to the 560's which are
                3-1/2".Each having a different minimum clearance from bearing.

Also with this type of selection combined with tight centers I'm wondering why they are concerned with deflection on a properly designed project.

Comment

Working...
                X