X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 way cast iron junction

May be old hat for others, but this was the first time I've seen one of these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvM9Dj1D830
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: 10 way cast iron junction

Nope havent seen one of them here
    I wonder what the chance of a sewer cable going the wrong way with that fitting is ?

Comment

I'd guess the odds are about 10 to 1 that the cable goes the right way

I saw one similiar many years ago. The old timer I worked with called it the 'Black Hole Fitting'

Cables go in but dont come back

Comment

I wonder what it weighs.

Comment

How does that fitting even meet code? Or is it possible to be part of a So-Vent system?

Comment

New to me. Is there access downstream to clean the line?

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

I got a glance at the letters TY on the side of the fitting. I assume it's Tyler. Looking at their catalog I'd say you've got a 399-4" Stack, two 4" Closet
              Waste, two 2" Waste, 3" Vent fitting

http://www.tylerpipe.com/documents/catalog2008web.pdf
              (page 11)

Comment

Looks like a Hooka

Comment

We call that the "Drop kick me Jesus" fitting.

J.C.

Comment

Also made by the Alabama Pipe Co. marketed as the Stringer line of rough in fittings saves caulked joints , all cast as one piece ( I have a 1963 cat. ) . You can still find some of them at the real old supply houses in Chicago . Catalog has pictures of different W + V configuations and tells you what combinations of fittings are needed to build it . They are like the original no-hub starter fittings .
                    Last edited by leakfree; 02-13-2009, 08:35 PM.
                    Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

How about page 14 in the catalog??

Where was this installed? I assume in an apartment building??

Comment

It's in a condo complex; two of these in the crawl serve everything for 12 two-bath units (two stacks of 2 back to back units, 3 high). The 3" on top is (I think) a wet vent taking toilets from above. Other fixtures are in 1 1/4 stacks coming down and dropping into these. It all drops into these, then these drop into a 4". Yes, they are Tyler. Yes there are c/o's below them in the 4". This is an oddly plumbed building. Vanity sinks and tubs are connected such that they like to clog so the sinks come up in the tubs. Kitchen sinks are the toughest back to backs I've ever had to clean; the back to back junction is 15' from either sink rough-in around 2 90's and 2 45's.
                        Last edited by Ace Sewer; 02-14-2009, 12:04 AM.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                          It's in a condo complex; two of these in the crawl serve everything for 12 two-bath units (two stacks of 2 back to back units, 3 high). The 3" on top is (I think) a wet vent taking toilets from above. Other fixtures are in 1 1/4 stacks coming down and dropping into these. It all drops into these, then these drop into a 4". Yes, they are Tyler. Yes there are c/o's below them in the 4". This is an oddly plumbed building. Vanity sinks and tubs are connected such that they like to clog so the sinks come up in the tubs. Kitchen sinks are the toughest back to backs I've ever had to clean; the back to back junction is 15' from either sink rough-in around 2 90's and 2 45's.
                          Sounds like fun. Hope they don't complain about the bills with this creative plumbing. I know how some condo associations can be.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

The kitchen sinks are a drag; I've done two in this complex and both times had to jet until the water was clear enough to see thru, then cam in to the junction and watch my equipment to make the drop. This is the one time I'd like to work from a vent, but it's three stories up on a steep snow covered roof, so I'll stick with the camera method. The upside is I'm the only one who's been able to do these sinks at all, so they just grin and bear it when the bill comes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                              The kitchen sinks are a drag; I've done two in this complex and both times had to jet until the water was clear enough to see thru, then cam in to the junction and watch my equipment to make the drop. This is the one time I'd like to work from a vent, but it's three stories up on a steep snow covered roof, so I'll stick with the camera method. The upside is I'm the only one who's been able to do these sinks at all, so they just grin and bear it when the bill comes.
                              Some think I'm crazy but if the attic arrangement is right I have cut in a C.O. there to handle something like this. Makes it much faster, cleaner, & safer.

Have to check if it can be done though.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X