HWT excess pressure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HWT excess pressure

Got a favor for a friend lined up for sometime in the near future: Hot water tank whose T & P valve keeps blowing off....yes there is a swing check on the cold water line. I figure that if the valve itself is OK (I will replace if old or if I suspect a clog), I can either remove the check OR install a cushion tank in the hot line.

what's the best option do ya think?

Re: HWT excess pressure

install or check the expansion tank. also check street pressure, you may need a pressure reducing valve.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Santa View Post
      Got a favor for a friend lined up for sometime in the near future: Hot water tank whose T & P valve keeps blowing off....yes there is a swing check on the cold water line. I figure that if the valve itself is OK (I will replace if old or if I suspect a clog), I can either remove the check OR install a cushion tank in the hot line.

what's the best option do ya think?
      Why the swing check?

J.C.

Comment

Just a guess but could the water be expanding as it gets heated, the swing check keeps the now higher pressure water from going back to supply, all outlets in the house are closed and the higher pressure water can only exit via T&P? Sometimes my two cents aren't worth two cents but this is my expanation. Thanks, David

Comment

Originally posted by Thurman View Post
          Just a guess but could the water be expanding as it gets heated, the swing check keeps the now higher pressure water from going back to supply, all outlets in the house are closed and the higher pressure water can only exit via T&P? Sometimes my two cents aren't worth two cents but this is my expanation. Thanks, David
          thats the most likely scenario imo. an expansion tank should help
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Why the swing check?

J.C.

I have no idea! The original installer put it there. There's no recirq line so there wouldn't be any need for a check, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Thurman View Post
              that was my diagnosis too, what I'm wondering is whether to add the expansion tank or remove the check valve, personally i'm leaning towards installing the expansion tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Santa View Post
                that was my diagnosis too, what I'm wondering is whether to add the expansion tank or remove the check valve, personally i'm leaning towards installing the expansion tank.
                since you'll have it apart, why not do both?

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                  since you'll have it apart, why not do both?
                  might as well. I don't think it's there for any reason. Like i said there's no recirq line so no reason to have a check.

Comment

Working...
                  X