X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustical considerations

About to start a residential project where they've brought in an acoustical engineer. Having some experience using products that absorb sound, like Acousta Plumb straps, I'm looking forward to working on a project with such a demanding spec on noise suppression. All piping will be isolated from the structure. That includes insulating liner on waste and vent line J and Clevis hangers and bumpers below riser clamps. On the water line, he wants B-Line Vibra Cushion® (which comes in 25' rolls) cut to fit with clamps rather than cushion clamps. Holdrite liner and felt for wrapping waste and vent pipes that penetrate wood members. Hardest thing about this whole exercise is trying to figure how much of this material will be needed and how much extra time the process will take, since they want a hard number change order before we start.

Re: Acoustical considerations

What type of water lines will you be running?

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

are they speccing cast iron waste stacks? or are you just having to wrap them all?
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

L copper
        Cast iron waste, plastic vent (all hangers and penetrations to be insulated)

Comment

that actually sounds like a lot of fun.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

We have done a few like this. Hold-Rite makes a lot of stuff.

Comment

In the penthouse we refused to hard quote on the upgraded specs the newly hired sound engineer brought on board.Luckily they let us T&M,besides we were already in the house.This particular engineer wanted all water microlocked(fiberglass) with no interuptions.It was a joke not letting us use acoustilators at the steel studs,like the framer was going to let us drill a three inch hole in his three and a half inch stud for a half inch pipe.
              Every Allthread drop was specd' to have the spring dampener again 100's,the was x'ed out.
              We did felt the bottom of the loops and clevis,waste and vents.
              I have done a Burke Williams day spa in Hollywood where the walls were soundboarded better than a music studio

Comment

Some body asked me to do something like that I would tell them to "get lost"

Only place you need stuff like that is a sleep lab ... Design the building with a "quiet Zone" away from plumbing ... I did a whole hospital in white armaflex though ...added about 40 % because of all the fire stopping...

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
                  Some body asked me to do something like that I would tell them to "get lost"
                  Would you really say that if cost was not an issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                    Would you really say that if cost was not an issue?
                    Exactly
                    This private condominium project penthouse ended up being $12,000,000 investment.Think they're worried about 10-20 grand here or there.

On a side note:
                    Watch out for their puchasing agent.
                    Some of them are DEVIL SPAWN looking to justify their place in the mix.
                    Ugly finger pointers to signed contractors.
                    Watch your mark-up it may be locked to 15% on T+M
                    Last edited by drtyhands; 02-16-2009, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      Exactly
                      This private condominium project penthouse ended up being $12,000,000 investment.Think they're worried about 10-20 grand here or there.
                      Adam definitely understands where I'm coming from.

My brother is always saying that on these big ticket homes the total plumbing bill (which with fixtures included can run over 1/4 mil) is just a round off number. On a lot of them the landscaping costs 2 to 3 times as much as the plumbing.

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      On a side note:
                      Watch out for their puchasing agent.
                      Some of them are DEVIL SPAWN looking to justify their place in the mix.
                      Ugly finger pointers to signed contractors.
                      Watch your mark-up it may be locked to 15% on T+M
                      Thanks, I've run into a few of those type. They act like it's their money. And in some cases a percentage of whatever they can chisel out of a sub lands in their pocket. On this job the GC, who I've worked for for close to 20 years, is the project manager, so I don't foresee any problems in that area.
                      Last edited by Plumbus; 02-16-2009, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X