X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fernco pipe patch

I HAVE SEEN SOME MENTIONING OF THIS SYSTEM, AND IT HAS MY CURIOUSITY SPIKED.hOW MANY OF YALL ARE USING THIS, AND WHAT RESULTS HAVE YOU HAD( GOOD AND BAD).
    Last edited by JW3; 02-12-2009, 10:35 PM. Reason: MISSPELL

Re: Fernco pipe patch

I dont use it but check

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23303

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...nco+pipe+patch

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

I've been using the system for a while now and have not had any problems.

I only use the "winter" kits. cure time 1 1/2hr. "summer" kits take 2 1/2-3hrs to cure. If I were working outside on a 80F day then I would consider a "summer" kit.

Source One Environmental www.S1Eonline.com now owns the rights to the product.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

i use it ive had a tough time selling it though. but great product
        Mike
        Clark County Plumbing And Drain
        www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

they had something like this at the pumper show last year
          i looked cool
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
            they had something like this at the pumper show last year
            i looked cool
            Yes, the Stephen's Technologies booth.
            They had a mouse for a mascot, close to the Ridgid booth.
            Only problem was the presenters (obviously not installers) didn't know the product well.
            I'm pretty sure I made at least one sale for them, if not two.
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Hi

Here in the UK it is called the Fernco Pipe Doctor.

We have used it with great success!

I dont know if it is supplied the same in the USA, but here, the two part resin is supplied in a plastic bag and seperated by a clip over the centre, we have had a few delivered which when opened we find the clip dislodged and the resin cured !
              The supplying merchant has always replaced them free of charge but the inconvenience is annoying.

There are a few different manufacturers of similar systems here and we now almost always use a system where the resins are supplied in bottles, just empty one into the other, mix then pour into the other bottle then use it on the matting.
              We pour it into both bottles to cure any unused resin so that the bottles can be disposed of in regular waste since the resin is now inert.

Do you guys have the 90 degree system that can form a patch in a 90 degree bend ?

We have used it here to good effect on the base of soil vent pipes to the rest bend at the base, saves excavation.

Regards

John
              Drain Doctor Plumbing (Leeds)
              (UK version of Mr Rooter)

Comment

biggest issue i see with the system is the push rod/ air line.

how easy is it to get 1/2'' sch 80 pvc pipe to make a 45 or 90 degree bend with the air couplers every 5'?

that's the biggest issue i have with the system.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

We use regular 3/4" drain rods to position the packer within the pipe and supply the air via an air line like a tyre inflator

John

Comment

Further to the above, we have not tried to negotiate multiple bends with the packer but i reckon it would go around a bend without the patch slipping particularly if the packer were pulled in by rope as well as pushed by rods.

John

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      biggest issue i see with the system is the push rod/ air line.

how easy is it to get 1/2'' sch 80 pvc pipe to make a 45 or 90 degree bend with the air couplers every 5'?

that's the biggest issue i have with the system.

rick.
                      No problem at all. I was surprised and thought this would be the biggest issue. The fittings do sort of fetch up a bit now and then, but with a good push nothing more then a hiccup.

I did one job where the packer had to be pushed through 3 45's at once then rods to follow,and the push was still no problem.

Another job, the packer and rods had to go through a 3" clean out and a 90 one foot from each other. Still some fetching up, but quite doable(my word for the day).

If you need a demo, send me a plane ticket and I'll be right over.

Seriously though I'm surprised at what these things can go through, even when doing a dry run. Once the Patch and resin are attached, the resin acts as a lubricant and actually makes it easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                        No problem at all. I was surprised and thought this would be the biggest issue. The fittings do sort of fetch up a bit now and then, but with a good push nothing more then a hiccup.

I did one job where the packer had to be pushed through 3 45's at once then rods to follow,and the push was still no problem.

Another job, the packer and rods had to go through a 3" clean out and a 90 one foot from each other. Still some fetching up, but quite doable(my word for the day).

If you need a demo, send me a plane ticket and I'll be right over.

hey, that's my line

Seriously though I'm surprised at what these things can go through, even when doing a dry run. Once the Patch and resin are attached, the resin acts as a lubricant and actually makes it easier.
                        do you have to still electrical tape the air quick connects

i was going to redesign the push rod assy, but just didn't get around to it.

i think i might re think it since i do see an application for it.

how much rod do you have? do you do a dry run to verify it's doable?

is the kit only 2' or do they have longer?

thanks gene.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          do you have to still electrical tape the air quick connects Yes. Just to prevent them from coming Unlocked. Far fetched, but easy safety measure. The kits even come with the tape.

i was going to redesign the push rod assy, but just didn't get around to it.

i think i might re think it since i do see an application for it. I honestly don't see a need for a redesign as I feel they have preformed better then expected, but if you and Sanjay (the see through mechanical trap guy) want to get together and work on that, feel free

how much rod do you have? 75'. Only because thats all I needed for fist 2 jobs, so thats all I bought and have yet to find a need to go beyond that. If/when the need arises my distributer carrys some, and I'm confidant I can push much further then 75'.

do you do a dry run to verify it's doable? YES. ALWAYS! I'm a creature of habit. I always do a dry run, even on the obvious ones. who knows what could happen???
                          You get bonus points for using the word of the day (doable)

is the kit only 2' or do they have longer? I only have the 2' set up, but they were talking about a 4' patch requiring a longer packer. I'm 99% sure that is available now. I'm pretty sure I saw a price list for 4' kits and packers..Never mind, Candy just confirmed, YES they do have a 4' patch.
                          I'd like to see if a 3' patch can fit the 2' patch packers. I'm thinking of running a test with clear pipe to see if a 2' patch packer will compress enough length for a 3' patch. Out of pipe it looks as though it can be done, but close.

thanks gene.

rick.
                          Please send ticket to 245 Sibley pond rd

Comment

Originally posted by Winky UK View Post
                            I dont know if it is supplied the same in the USA, but here, the two part resin is supplied in a plastic bag and seperated by a clip over the centre, we have had a few delivered which when opened we find the clip dislodged and the resin cured !
                            The supplying merchant has always replaced them free of charge but the inconvenience is annoying.John
                            Drain Doctor Plumbing (Leeds)
                            (UK version of Mr Rooter)
                            Yes, supplied the same here as well, and I have had the same problem.
                            I now pick up my kits in person and check each one to verify integrity of pouch, kit contents, and expiration dates.

Comment

Working...
                            X