Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tankless Rick....

Ok Rick. It's been a month. (I think)

How much has the tankless saved you? How frustrating has it been to live with? Which brand and model?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Tankless Rick....

I think he saved a whopping $5. I think it is a pain in the tush. It takes longer for the water to heat up. If you turn the hot water off and need to turn it back on it needs to re-heat.
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Of course now we have to wait for the water bill since we are using more water now
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Yep....what I figured.

J.C.

Comment

i honestly installed it for the benifit of the forum.

what a waste of money. my 20 year old trouble free 40 gallon heater is great.

my noritz 6.9 is a joke. wait longer to get hot water. in fact i don't even bother to use hot water now to wash my hands as it will take a lot of energy to heat it up and deliver it to the batroom sink.

sure my gas bill went from $14.00+ a month to $9.00+ a month. like $5 a month is going to ever pay back.

make a tank water heater without a standing pilot and there's your $5.00 a month savings.

now who wants to chip in $10.00 to help defer my cost for this waste of money on a product that we all knew what the answer already was

i'll keep it running through the summer and then switch back to old faithful, my 20 year old 40 gas heater

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
            I think he saved a whopping $5. I think it is a pain in the tush. It takes longer for the water to heat up. If you turn the hot water off and need to turn it back on it needs to re-heat.
            I noticed that today at a customer's house. He had a new-looking Noritz installed (crappy install I might add) in the basement and it took FOREVER to get hot water...it was ridiculous.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Rick,

what if you had a HW storage tank and circ pump working with the tankless?

when the storage tank calls for heat the circ pump kicks in though the tankless.

i don't know if this would work in you case, i'm just taking a stab in the dark.

Vince

i don't know if this is a common practice but i have seen a couple of systems like that up here.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                Rick,

what if you had a HW storage tank and circ pump working with the tankless?

when the storage tank calls for heat the circ pump kicks in though the tankless.

i don't know if this would work in you case, i'm just taking a stab in the dark.

Vince

i don't know if this is a common practice but i have seen a couple of systems like that up here.

Vince,

by setting up the system as you desribed it kind of defeats the purpose of a tankless, primarily not heating up water until you need it and no more than you demand.

BTW I like your signature, I hope you dont mind!

Comment

Hey Rick. Do me a favor and post your results over on Terry's forum under the tankless threads. There's a couple morons over there that think they are the last word.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                    Vince,

by setting up the system as you desribed it kind of defeats the purpose of a tankless, primarily not heating up water until you need it and no more than you demand.

BTW I like your signature, I hope you dont mind!
                    how about a little storage tank so that there is some type of buffer zone if you know what i mean?

thanks for the compliment. i have my moments.

Vince

Comment

I can't wait until the experiment is over and I get my tank heater back!
                      I really am curious to see the water bill. I know I waste significantly more water just waiting for it to warm up.
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Tankless heaters were originally designed as point of use units. Where houses are set up with all the plumbing fixtures close to each other, as in Europe and Japan, a tankless water heater stuck right in the middle of everything works great. No stand by loss or waiting for hot water. When I was in Italy last fall, one of the places I stayed had the damned think right in the bathroom. The distance from the outlet to the shower valve was about 5'. Creepy, but effective. The way our houses are arranged, you need a circ pump to give you hw in a reasonable amount of time. Of course, as we all know, a circ pump on a tankless wh eliminates any energy savings plus it forces us to deal with the dreaded cold sandwich. I sell tankless to two types of clients, those who want unlimited hot water and those who are looking for ways to increase their usable floor space without adding more sq. ft. I disabuse those interested in energy or capital conservation.

Comment

I have installed approximately 10 Noritz tankless units in 05 and 06 when I had my own shop. I haven't had a callback or complaint. They went pretty much where the old tank was. One customer had a recirc, so I installed a 6 gallon 110 volt heater for the recirc.

Comment

so the tankless does not come on until there is water flowing ?
                            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                              so the tankless does not come on until there is water flowing ?
                              Yep. They have flow-sensors which tell it to fire up....no flow, no fire.
                              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Working...
                              X