X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regulations that create work

So, there is a new thing that went into effect around here that is making a ton of work for sewer guys that I kind of disagree with.

All real estate sales involving a property with a septic system are now required to include an inspection of the system as part of the sale process.

The inspection is ill defined. It's unclear what an inspection is. Don't know if I'll be getting camera work out of it to look at the lines or not, but I know the pumpers are getting work because they are pumping and inspecting tanks. I am getting work out of it because when you pump a tank in late fall or winter, you are just asking for freezing problems. I've had a couple where I know the freeze was because the tank wasn't cooking because they just pumped it for the inspection.

I understand and agree with the rational; I'm all for keeping the effluent in the leachfield, not letting it leak out the rotten metal or fibeglass tank, but forcing someone to do something at the wrong time of year seems a little wrong. One nice thing about it; I'm thinking I won't have to go digging for tank lids so often as they are all getting risers as part of this.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: Regulations that create work

Similar thing occurring in the South Ace. We don't have the freezing issues that you see though.

Nothing is buyer beware anymore. I don't know if it's good or bad.

J.C.

Comment

new this year all home sales need a bacteriological profile taken for a well, this procedure runs about $500 a pop, I am set up with the labs to take the samples. As far as a septic inspection ill be honest with you i dont care what kind of camera someone has they must be nuts to make a judgement on the life of the tile by looking inside the pipe, all the working parts of the system take place in the biomat at the plane between the earth and the gravel, outside of the pipes. The only thing an inspection by pumping the tank is that #1 the tank isnt leaking and #2 that the fields are taking SOME effluent

Comment

Yeah, I don't know if it's good or bad either. At first I was thinking it must finally be time to bite the bullet and buy a pumper truck and go do whatever it is I've got to do to get certified to do whatever these inspections are. But as I reflect on it, I'm putting myself in a situation if I start doing these.

Who's my client? The buyer or seller is paying the bill, but really it's a realtor. They'll be who refers me. What's their goal? Close the sale. Throw a wrench into a couple 2mil sales by giving an honest eval, and no more referrals and there my shiny new truck sits in the yard. And that's if I'm not sued for screwing the deal when they get a second opinion from someone else. Put my blinders on and overlook a few things and I'm wide open for suit from another direction. What this inpection is needs to be better defined, and what a pass or fail is needs to be better defined. I don't think I want to touch it until that happens, cash cow that it may be.

Agree you can't tell much about the field. Are we going to take core samples or something? A timed leakdown test with a known volume of water? Big $ for something that is what it is, and is likely fine.
        Last edited by Ace Sewer; 02-14-2009, 01:08 AM.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
          Yeah, I don't know if it's good or bad either. At first I was thinking it must finally be time to bite the bullet and buy a pumper truck and go do whatever it is I've got to do to get certified to do whatever these inspections are. But as I reflect on it, I'm putting myself in a situation if I start doing these.

Who's my client? The buyer or seller is paying the bill, but really it's a realtor. They'll be who refers me. What's their goal? Close the sale. Throw a wrench into a couple 2mil sales by giving an honest eval, and no more referrals and there my shiny new truck sits in the yard. And that's if I'm not sued for screwing the deal when they get a second opinion from someone else. Put my blinders on and overlook a few things and I'm wide open for suit from another direction. What this inpection is needs to be better defined, and what a pass or fail is needs to be better defined. I don't think I want to touch it until that happens, cash cow that it may be.
          All I am saying is CYA!!! make sure that you do the job right and to the best of your ability. do not tell the client that they have x years left on their septic system, tell them.... "your septic tank is in good shape, there is no visible infiltration or exfitration, there are no visible obstructions in the line from the house to the tank at the time of observation" CYA no one is!

Comment

hey Ace, are you in Summit county? I live in Jefferson county and when we moved in two years ago Jeffco required a pump and inspection and I know that Park county also requires the same, I just got my Park county ISDS installation contractors license.
            ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Yup... Ace Sewer and Drain, serving Summit and northern Park counties. Let's get together sometime and swap war stories. You ever get to Breckenridge? Or Alma?

Comment

Re: Regulations that create work and DISASTERS

The Gov't sees a problem,They come up with a fix, It doesn't work,ALWAYS THE ANSWER-
                If We hadn't implemented this,IT WOULD HAVE BEEN WORSE!!
                The bail out on sewers and econemy
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                  All I am saying is CYA!!! make sure that you do the job right and to the best of your ability. do not tell the client that they have x years left on their septic system, tell them.... "your septic tank is in good shape, there is no visible infiltration or exfitration, there are no visible obstructions in the line from the house to the tank at the time of observation" CYA no one is!
                  Just read any home inspection report. It is always "there is no visible damage t blah blah blah. XYZ home inspectors suggests you higher blah blah blah expert to fully evaluate your blah blah blah." XYZ home inspectors has no liability, fine print, fine print, fine print. Generally a big scam.

Comment

Working...
                  X