• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circulating pumps

Two circulating pumps.

One is for 140
    One is for 110

Anybody know if there is a reason to tie both return lines into a single line before it ties back into the cold?

Isn't it just as good, if not better, to tie each line back into the cold?

Re: Circulating pumps

One water heater?

J.C.

Comment

If you have two pumps going to one water heater it seems logical that they feed separately to as close to the water heater as possible. If you tie the lines together then why 2 have two pumps? Just use one more powerful unit.

Comment

if you have two return lines, and tie them into one pump, how do you ensure that you're getting flow out of Both lines? When roughing a house in I always make it with one return line, I suppose because I just don't understand enough about dividing them to avoid needing more than 1 pump.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Where your lines return to the mech. room, ball valves before one pump. They can be used to adjust flow. I tie my returns into the bottom of the tank. Cold inlet gets B. V., check, expansion tank.

Comment

Yeah, two pumps.

I've always tied them in separate, but a question came up on a punch list saying I had them wrong. No one can tell me why they should be tied together before tying back into the cold feed to the heater.

I was just wondering if anyone here knew of a reason.

Also, two water heaters ran parallel.

Comment

Time and money. You could use two pumps, But why ?

Comment

Two separate buildings (or an addition) with separate loops but the same heater system. Place I worked on recently could be done like this.

(No, wait a minute, I think I just lost my mind. )

J.C.
                Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 02-14-2009, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
                  Where your lines return to the mech. room, ball valves before one pump. They can be used to adjust flow. I tie my returns into the bottom of the tank. Cold inlet gets B. V., check, expansion tank.
                  so essentially the same as I do it. Do you just keep tweaking the handles of the ball valves to adjust the flow, until it seems right?
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Test at farthest fixture

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      Two separate buildings (or an addition) with separate loops but the same heater system. Place I worked on recently could be done like this.

J.C.
                      yeah, in that situation i'd have installed two pumps. Again, mostly out of ignorance on doing it with one pump on two loops

Comment

How about some more information, is this residential or commercial? Are these pumps for two entirely separate loops? How big is this system? Give us an idea of how many fixtures. How long is the return piping from the furthest fixture and what size is it. A picture would really be nice.

Comment

It's two separate lines

One is 140 degree
                          One is 110 degree(tempered)

Commercial building.

Has to be separate pumps for service and volume.

My question is, do both return lines need to be tied together (after the pumps) before it ties back into the cold? Or, can each line tie back in to the cold separately?

I don't see why separately could cause a problem or be incorrect. But it is on the punch list.

Comment

How about one pump with a couple of balancing valves.
                            http://www.griswoldcontrols.com/
                            Saves some energy and cuts down on pipe wear (corrosion/erosion).

Comment

If it's new work and/or commercial there should be a detail of how the engineer wants it piped

I myself would tie them in together then make one connection back to the cold side with proper valving and checks.

Dual return temps require balancing valves

Comment

Working...
                              X