X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What fixtures???

What fixtures would you put into your own rental property?

T/S valve.
    Toilet.
    Lavatory faucets.
    Kitchen sink faucets.
    Tubs/showers.
    Water heater.

The goal is durability and fewest calls with problems. Design doesn't mean much.

There is no wrong opinion. You just might have had different experiences than others.

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: What fixtures???

This is a really hard question. No matter what you put into a rental, renters will trash it.

It seems the goal then would be to keep things both cheap and replaceable.

Tub valve - Moen Posi-Temp. Easy to fix, parts available. For example, trim kits are sold separately from the body.

Faucets - look for something with a solid brass body and readily-replaceable parts. Two handle preferred. American Standard low end isn't bad. Some of the faucet companies continue to cheapen their items and those that had solid brass bodies are now putting in the ones with copper tubes between components.

Toilet - maybe an American Standard. I don't know what the Gerber looks like now, but they used to be a very strong toilet. Since moving to China they may have weakened the china thickness or something. Avoid anything that has thin mounting areas or trash flush (big jet in the front of the bowl instead of flushing rim).

Water heater - I like Rheem. Hopefully, the renters will never mess with it.

Tub - this is the worst. Why don't they make a stainless steel tub? Tin tubs chip far too easy. Any kind of fiberglass will be ruined. Cast iron might last better but still prone to chips when Boomer brings in his Snap-On tool box and tosses it in the tub because there's no room anywhere else. Plastic tub surrounds will be destroyed - even more quickly if they have towel bars. Maybe the best would be a cast iron tub with sheets of plastic for the surround. If you don't have a surround and shower, the renters will replace the tub spout and install a wall-mounted shower thereby destroying the walls.

Homey has some 4 x 8 sheets of beaded plastic that are far more durable than the tub surrounds. Trick is making the joints just right. Put up shower curtains - no doors. Expect renters to take anything that isn't nailed down when they leave. That includes light bulbs, shower heads, the faucet parts that they disassembled and couldn't get back together, sink strainer baskets.

Another good idea would be to install a foot-wide grate with a drain in front of the tub for the water they slosh out. Make six-month checks on the ceiling fans and hook them to the light switch or they'll never be used. Replace any malfunctioning ceiling fans to avoid black mold on the ceiling.

During your six-month inspection, replace any missing sink pop-ups after removing sockets and straws and toothpaste caps and toothbrushes from the trap.

Comment

What fixtures would you put into your own rental property?

T/S valve. Delta
      Toilet. Toto
      Lavatory faucets. Delta
      Kitchen sink faucets. Delta
      Tubs/showers. AquaGlass, Aker, Lasco
      Water heater. Sears/Kenmore

Delta faucets literally give you the ability to walk around with a small bag and fix a leaking faucet wherever you go.

Unfortunately, that is soon going to change.

I mentioned Toto, but I'd want something that has a good bowl wash.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Determine what you want. Then use the personal use card with your suppliers.

Comment

everything dunbar said,
          water hearer I'd go with a state

Comment

Moentrol t/s valves
            moen single lever kitchen and lavs
            1 $11.00 cartridge repairs any faucet in the house.

water heater is anybodys call
            toilet, kohler pressure assist, practically bullet proof
            sinks, kitchen stainless w/o a disposal
            bathroom, cast iron.
            sigpic
            www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

1. Single lever Delta Leland chrome tub/shower and faucets
              2. Delta 400 in kitchen
              3. Briggs or Kohler toilets
              4. Aqua Glass showers or tub/showers
              5. Sterling 7" SS kitchen sink
              6. Culture marble vanity tops
              7. Rheem 50 gallon electric water heater.
              8. No diposal, you know what you can end up pulling out of those.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
                1. Culture marble vanity tops
                Why not laminate? Or if you are going to go solid surface the cheapest artificial plastic you can go with? Marble seems to delicate to me.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                  Why not laminate? Or if you are going to go solid surface the cheapest artificial plastic you can go with? Marble seems to delicate to me.
                  Cultured marble is more durable than laminates & plastics in my experience. It will "yellow" or turn some with age but ages better than alot of laminates/plastics, is easily replaceable, and a good bang for the buck.

J.C.

Comment

Delta, kohler, rheem.

Doesn't matter too much,

Tenants will tear up anything.

It's ok though, I know a good plumber.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

I was thinking commercial faucets with ceramic stems/cartridges.
                      Buy 2 sets of internal parts for all of them.

Pressure assist toilets.

Stainless kitchen sink.

Rheem electric water heater.

No garbage disposal.

Heavy tile shower with no tub? Just thinking.

Cultured marble top.

Illegal outside doulbe C.O. with automatic pop up.

J.C.
                      Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 02-16-2009, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Are Pressure assist toilet that worry/ maintanance free for the long term?
                        In my rental I used an American Standard pullout cheapo faucet and it has lasted three years. I never got more than a year out of the same Moen at my house. I just installed an Aquaglass tub/ shower at a job and it didn't seem durable. The bottom flexed when standing in it. I like the Lasco a little more. Cast iron would be ideal w/ plastic walls. I would use heavy lino. and silicone caulk everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Birddoggiest View Post
                          Are Pressure assist toilet that worry/ maintanance free for the long term?
                          In my rental I used an American Standard pullout cheapo faucet and it has lasted three years. I never got more than a year out of the same Moen at my house. I just installed an Aquaglass tub/ shower at a job and it didn't seem durable. The bottom flexed when standing in it. I like the Lasco a little more. Cast iron would be ideal w/ plastic walls. I would use heavy lino. and silicone caulk everything.
                          Pressure assist are not that worry & maintenance free in my experience. But I'm not experienced with all types. I was thinking of clogs mostly. Good point.

Funny you mention Lasco. Here it's considered low end but that may be because people refuse to try something new. I've had good experience with AquaGlass personally.

I've learned to stay away from new Moen because it can be a crapshoot if you'll get something durable or not.

Here the only Am. St. dealer would be HD. Don't like but will think about it.

J.C.

Comment

That is where I got the $100 AS pullout.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              Heavy tile shower with no tub? Just thinking.
                              No tub is going to make at least some tenants move on to the next place.

Comment

Working...
                              X