How much should this cost ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How much should this cost ?

I'm not under IPC but I always thought that IPC required a "mission coupling" ( metal covered) as opposed to a "Fernco" (Rubber and hose clamps only) for underground use....

The metal covered "mission couplings" are available in the same sizes as the Fernco's...

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Carl, I was bidding a job and the inspector wanted me to use a HiMax coupling for transitions like this.

I don't know of any catastrophic problems using Ferncos installed & backfilled correctly myself though. Some inspectors are nuts.

J.C.
      Apparently the inspectors here don't know any better, so as long they pass it, I'm going with it!
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

For clay X CI/PVC Ferncos inspectors ask for it to be laid a bed of concrete here

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          Who's kelly?

I was refering to the 2 way cleanout
          Kelly and 2-way cleanout Same Same just different terminology

And yes they can get you in trouble if you are not paying attention ( I will not tell the story though...)

Comment

Same requirement for Orangeburg also

Comment

If that is a pvc x clay fernco, what would be wrong with it even under IPC?

The depth of the sewer and the soil conditions seem to be made in heaven. Around here seven feet or more of depth with clay soil is the most common.

Although that may not be the best use for the double sanitary tee, it sure is a good way to provide for cleaning the sewer in either direction at any time in the future. I'm sure the water still flows well!!

As far as pricing is concerned, it goes back to the old " know your costs" statement. Calculate your cost of material , cover your overhead and labor and take a fair mark up to give you the profit you need/desire. None of us can or should be telling you what to charge. As long as you make a reasonable profit, I'm happy.
              Last edited by APHCO; 02-16-2009, 06:56 PM. Reason: add content

Comment

Is that considered an illegal C.O. by IPC? What's the reasoning if so?

J.C.
                Here they want two combination fittings so the snake goes the direction it is supposed to no matter how deep the pipe or how unskilled the (home owner) user is.

Comment

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
                  The snake would NOT follow the flow so I had to dig this up and repair as shown ... The line leading to the com has a cleanout added at the house and 18' of 4' PIPE . So we have what you see here and a Drain cleaning call the day before ...

What`s that 100mm PVC tee piece that the verticle riser is connected to which looks like it sweeps in both directions for clearing the sewer?? as I have never seen one like that before in Aust, as they only sweep in one direction here with the flow.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                    What`s that 100mm PVC tee piece that the verticle riser is connected to which looks like it sweeps in both directions for clearing the sewer?? as I have never seen one like that before in Aust, as they only sweep in one direction here with the flow.

Tony
                    Kelly Sweep or 2-way cleanout.

When they are filled with sewage it is sometimes tuff to tell what direction your cable is going when using one.... (then you break a toilet).

Comment

I think the clay to pvc fernco is a good fit ...
                      I like a 2 way clean out if it is not over 2 ft deep .......
                      Just like to know were my cable is going

Comment

Thanks for the Input ... Guess The Florida codes are different ... I have ferncos that have been in the ground 30 years No problem ... We also use 2 way cleanouts here ... Dave

Comment

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
                          Thanks for the Input ... Guess The Florida codes are different ... I have ferncos that have been in the ground 30 years No problem ... We also use 2 way cleanouts here ... Dave
                          Two-way cleanouts are legal here but I don't install them because they are worthless in my mind. When you need them the riser is often full and you can't tell which direction the cable/hose/push rod is/are headed.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            Two-way cleanouts are legal here but I don't install them because they are worthless in my mind. When you need them the riser is often full and you can't tell which direction the cable/hose/push rod is/are headed.

Mark
                            Could you slip an 1.5" pipe in there with angle to direct it one way or the other?

J.C.

Comment

Could you slip an 1.5" pipe in there with angle to direct it one way or the other?

J.C.
                              Yes you could but you would have to put the cable through the 1 1/2" pipe before you install your cutter then drop the 1 1/2" pipe in to the riser with the cutter attached. I just prefer to have directional fittings for cleanouts to begin with. It's not that you can clean through a 2-way cleanout as we all do it. I just feel it's not that tough to give the next guy a directional cleanout.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks. Didn't know if it would work as I have never done it myself.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X