X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Low flow washing machines

Gear Junkie is right on target, what he is suggesting most of you have not yet had to deal with. With reduced water usage you will have a line that with just about every other fixture would be backing up. When this line does decide to stop up, It's going to be thick. The days of the lint laundry stoppages are disappearing. For those of you that clear a lot of sewer lines you may know what I'm talking about when I mention "the little old lady syndrome". That's when a little old lady that lives all alone calls you with a stopped up sewer line. Those of us who have been around a while see an automatic red flag go up. Why? Oh I know the answer, who else does.

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
      For those of you that clear a lot of sewer lines you may know what I'm talking about when I mention "the little old lady syndrome". That's when a little old lady that lives all alone calls you with a stopped up sewer line. Those of us who have been around a while see an automatic red flag go up. Why? Oh I know the answer, who else does.
      I know! I know!
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Little old lady syndrome!! Those not in the know ,think sludged up looooong kitchen sink lines.("I've been here since 1952 and it's never been a problem")
        As for the front loading washers we have had a boom in sewer stink calls directly related to these.The smell is only when they do laundry. There is a product for these to get and keep the stink out but the easy answer is to leave the door open when not washing so they don't mold up.

Comment

Nope

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
            Little old lady syndrome!! Those not in the know ,think sludged up looooong kitchen sink lines.("I've been here since 1952 and it's never been a problem")
            As for the front loading washers we have had a boom in sewer stink calls directly related to these.The smell is only when they do laundry. There is a product for these to get and keep the stink out but the easy answer is to leave the door open when not washing so they don't mold up.

The above is also true...

Here are my bad little old ladies.

--I only do one load of laundry a week now since the kids moved away and my husband passed, this is a gonna be a cruddy line for sure..

--When my husband was alive he used to have to dump brick acid down this hole about once a month to keep the washer from backing up

Was I close?

My wife is doing laundry so I decided to go out and pull the washer hose on the first rinse cycle ( Kenmore HE4T washer). It pumps the water out MUCH more slowly than my old uprights, I think it is because the washer actually squeezes out the water in the spin as opposed to a dump (this washer uses very little water)

Okie
            Last edited by OkieBill; 02-18-2009, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim
              That's O.K.
              Mine goes straight out into the yard, too.
              My drain is exactly as it has been since we moved in here 31 years ago. It goes out through the back wall of the house and into a hole in the gutter downspout that runs into the city sewer system.
              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I do a lot of Nice Little Old Lady Drains....
                I will bring my hose, conect my blow bag ,get her flowing ...
                And then clean out the line

Comment

"little old lady syndrome".........Stopped up sewer line, Hmmm

Comment

What type of star ship are you commanding? Stopped up sewer, little old lady...... I've seen this so many times, I bet Plumber Rick knows so don't say anything Rick. These hot shot drum and sectional guys that I have been monitoring for the past six months of my existence have had to encounter this at sometime.

Comment

i know, i know,

rookie, let me know when i can let it out

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Hey I'm just a rookie, Jay Mpls and Okie Bill are right on it! What is the red flag.

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                          I do a lot of Nice Little Old Lady Drains....
                          I will bring my hose, conect my blow bag ,get her flowing ...
                          And then clean out the line
                          Connect your blow bag?

Are a lot of these stoppages at the trap?

If not I just see water going into the laundry sink or up the vent.

Comment

My little old lady jobs are out side ,,,in the sewer,,,and safe to use a blow bag

Comment

Ok rick

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
                                Ok rick
                                I got this one

It is when a little old lady lives by herself in a big house. (Probably a widow with all the kids grown and off with their own families). She usually uses one bathroom and has very minimal use of water comparitively to all the fixtures available in the house. The sewer is probably bad. But because of her low water usage it takes a long time for it to cause a stopppage; thus bringing light to the problem.

What's my prize?
                                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Working...
                                X