X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low flow washing machines

So now they they have washing machines that use less water, do you think it'll cause backups like the the lowflow toilets due to less water to wash out the lint and soap?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Low flow washing machines

The problem I see with some of them is the rate they pump water out. Some older drains (mainly old homes with 1-1/2 washer standpipe) fail to keep up. They must have 10,000 rpm on their spin cycle! The theory is to dry the clothes out more before they go into the dryer.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      So now they they have washing machines that use less water, do you think it'll cause backups like the the lowflow toilets due to less water to wash out the lint and soap?
      I hope so!
      West Trail Mechanical Ltd
      Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

I had an older washer and switched to a front loader...

One of the plumbers in town that worked on my house before I bought it decided to bring the sink and the washer into the same line with a straight Tee

I would have issues when the old washer drained... New washer does not give me and problems due to the lower usage / dump rate.

Nope, still have not crawled under my house and fixed my own plumbing problems...I bought a new washer and that fixed it

Comment

The "old" Plumbing Inspector wanted 3" WM Drains ... I'll have to ask the New guy ... My Customers think I'm nuts when I show up with a 3" p Trap LOL

Comment

I like the old washing machines because they really give the sewer a good flushing when I'm cleaning the line.

With these front loaders, I don't bother.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

the h/e (high efficency) machines require a h/e soap. this is highly concentrated to clean and requires much less. the discharge water is pretty soap suds free.

the real issue is more with a tankless water heater. since the machine cycles to fill. the tankless doesn't get a good chance to turn on. the machine fills, stops, fills, stops.... the tankless doesn't know if it coming or going.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

No, don't really see it as a issue. The only problems I have seen are undersized, non vented drain lines. I have been on three service calls for "sewer gas smell" on HE machines, two of which were old socks rotting behind the big rubber seal and the other was because they closed the door after use instead of leaving it ajar. All three were LG brand.

The H/E machines have built in water heaters, to help with the short draws on the hot water. Still can't imagine its good for a tankless but then again people with single handle faucets generally don't turn the handle all the way to cold to operate it for short uses of water.

On, off, on, off, on off or 199,000 btu, off 199,000 btu off.
                Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  Yes, Was at the mall couple weeks ago and saw those waterless urinals for the first time. What a joke. I'm sure you've considered what all this low flow stuff is doing to plumbing systems. Were headed for a major overhaul.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    the h/e (high efficency) machines require a h/e soap. this is highly concentrated to clean and requires much less. the discharge water is pretty soap suds free.

the real issue is more with a tankless water heater. since the machine cycles to fill. the tankless doesn't get a good chance to turn on. the machine fills, stops, fills, stops.... the tankless doesn't know if it coming or going.

rick.
                    So unless you have it right on top of the washer chances are your not going to get that much,if any,hot water.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                      So tell me again why you installed the tanklessIsn't the experiment over yet
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
                        The problem I see with some of them is the rate they pump water out. Some older drains (mainly old homes with 1-1/2 washer standpipe) fail to keep up. They must have 10,000 rpm on their spin cycle! The theory is to dry the clothes out more before they go into the dryer.

how much faster do they pump out?
                        Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                        New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

We switched to a new HE washer a year ago. Use less water, soap and spin out the clothes better than the conventional ever did. I wont say how my drain is set up, too many pros on here to rip me a new one!
                          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                            how much faster do they pump out?
                            It depends on the manufacturer, way more than the old Kenmores.

Comment

Drain cleaners dream...

Do they not know that water is what cleans pipes! I'm all for the environment, but when I tell folks to run a little more water when using the disposal, they look at me like I voted republican I say bring on low water everything!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X