X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marketing Fundamentals

I think that not knowing the direction to take in marketing is holding me back. Word of mouth isn't always enough, espessally in a slowing economy. We also have three phone books and it seems like a waste of money. I tried Craigslist a few times that was just a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Birddoggiest View Post
      I think that not knowing the direction to take in marketing is holding me back. Word of mouth isn't always enough, espessally in a slowing economy. We also have three phone books and it seems like a waste of money. I tried Craigslist a few times that was just a waste of time.
      I know from others in my area to stay away from Craig's bottom feeders.

Comment

Battles are won before they start- Napoléon Bonaparte

Let’s start by talking about how my college professors defined Marketing.
        • The act of buying or selling in a market
        • The total of activities involved in the transfer of goods from the producer or seller to the consumer or buyer, including advertising, shipping, storing, and selling

Man does this suck. What possible good does this do anybody?

So what is marketing? How does my father define it? How do the less than 5% of the people who really get it define it? Hitler was a good marketer; it’s true, think about it for a moment. Yea he was evil, but his marketing was pure genius. After all he convinced entire countries to believe him. Why are there 7 pizza delivery companies in my area all just getting by and yet 1 of them is going great gonzos? I’ll tell you why, they understand the power of marketing.

Here is the real definition of marketing: GIVE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT!

That’s it, nothing more, nothing less. Any company that fails in this department will fail in business.

Right about now most of you are thinking “yea right”, well there is another component to this that successful people use every day. We just have to ask ourselves another question.

What do people want? PEOPL WANT TO FEEL GOOD

All marketing runs on this premise alone, no ifs ands or buts!!!!!!! This is not just my opinion; in fact everything I talk about is fact. In the thousands of years of marketing nothing has changed. That is why proper marketing is a sure bet, it never fails, period.

For anyone to really understand this I need to give some examples of what I’m talking about.

EXAMPLES

When Dominos pizza started it began as a marketing idea. The idea was to deliver pizza in 30 min. or less. People loved it. Why, they gave people what they want!

McDonalds saw a health revolution coming so they came out with a health version menu. Again, give people what they want. Profits rose to historic levels.

My service call charge is $25, while everyone in the area charges $80. All of my competition is dying right now. There all scratching there heads wondering how I can survive charging only $25. They don’t get it. Do customers want to here they are being charged $80 to show up? Heck no. The real truth is I charge the same amount as they do. When the bill comes I am the same price. Because I understand how to make customers feel good and my phone rings non-stop. I give people what they want

I keep a file on all customers. When I am driving around to the next job I make calls to past customers. I ask how the kids are, or “Hey, just calling to find out how you like your new car”. Customers love it and they will call and recommend me to everyone. Why? I give them what they want, I make them feel important, I make them feel good!

Summary
        Before we go any further anyone who wants to build a great company must understand this. All great companies revolve around this principle. If anyone is not clear lets talk about it. If we all understand this the battle is half over. The next step is to build a company around this. Mike

Comment

You guys are right STAY AWAY FROM CRAIGS LIST. Let not you harts be troubled. I'll show you how to get the big paying customers. It can happen quickly, we just need to cover the basics first so were all on the same page. Mike

Comment

So far I'm with you. I actually do some of the exact same things that you do.

I stay busy too.

J.C.

Comment

Birddog man, I am not in the yellow pages, I am not even in the phone book. My whole business is based aroud word of mouth. You just have to remember that as a marketer you can increase ten fold the word of mouth calls if done correctly. Most people don't really understand the true power of "word of mouth marketing". What you need is a word of mouth marketing "generator" ,that's coming up in a couple more posts. Fear not my friend

Comment

Man that is so wierd...

Didn't I see that you are from Wisconsin, your marketing plan is based, in my mind, on the midwest mind set. I spent 2 years in Wisconsin in the southwest corner and I attribute my raw customer skills to my time there, and it echos your basic principles.

Nice.
                sigpic
                www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

Dirtyhands, It seems you know you stuff when it comes to plumbing. If we can do some real simple things and tweek the way you handle marketing you will see a big change in your business. The good news is that everything we do costs almost nothing. In the next couple of post I will explain how I do things and then we can compare each others business and come up with a system. Trust me, you'll love it. Fell free to ask me anything. Mike

Comment

U & I Plumber, Yea but be carefull here because the methods i discuss are proven and they work anywhere. But us up here in the north are pretty smart huh?

Comment

I snagged this from my first forum thread

Hi everyone, long time listener, first time talker - Lenny

I own a one man shop, drain cleaning specialty / plumbing repair business in the New Orleans area, which I started 3 years ago, after Katrina. I've done well in a short time and I'm experiencing slow but steady growth. Mostly because of word of mouth and a small ad in the local newspaper. I wish I could give more credit to my AT&T yellow page print ad which I'm currently paying 946.00 per month for.

I ask each customer how they heard about me and I record that on my invoice. At the end of the month I record the results. Recently I added up 27 months worth and found that I only made $14,000 from the $20,000 I spent on the ads. I guess I can make myself feel better by saying that IF half of those customers call me again I'll make up the $20,000 but, I'm thinking it's time to pull out next year.

Some businesses must be making money on these ads? right?

Why would they stay in? Are they just not tracking the referrals and assuming the ads are working?

Are only the large ads making money? I have a dollar bill size ad 19 pages back (yes, 19). It's a large market with over 900 plumbing companies advertising.

How can i justify paying for a bigger ad when the ad I have can't even pay for itself?

Please share your print yellow page experiences positive and negative - Thanks.

I posted this before the end of the year. 2008 results = $6000.00 loss on YP

Well it turns out that the YP sales rep with large partially exposed breasts and bright red lipstick does not have my best interest at heart (I was mezmerized and stupified. I hope that f****** a****** enjoyed her commission on my money. They have an assembly line of unskilled graphic designers (I'm picturing a room full of illegals) that pump out the worst looking ads. I'm about to hire a professional designer and enlarge the ad in a last ditch effort to get a return on my investment.

I'm thinking of pulling out completely and just going door to door to plumbers for their drain, jet, and video work. My best work comes from the three plumbers who recommend me anyway.

That's my main problem, I'm not full service. People call me from my ad, and start to tell me about the gas line they need installed. No where on my ad is there even a hint of gas work. But I'm in the plumbing section so I must do everything right?

That's what I'm hoping this professional designer can change. Plus upsizing I get a massive discount and will actually pay less next year than I'm paying now.

So what do I have to advertise? Free plungers? 10% discount for new customers? Happy endings?

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

On my hanger...
                        Do people care enough about other larger scale projects.Repipes,remodels new underground cast below slab to justify inviting them to ...

"Ask about other projects in your neighborhood"

Another has told me to drop it.

Comment

Everything else works great for me, newspaper, word of mouth, business cards, repeats.

I had a 12.7 % increase in the amount of jobs invoiced from 2007 (2nd yr in bus.) to 2008 (3rd yr in bus.)

This yellow pages ad is a sore spot though.

One thing about how I run my business that I may need to change is that every customer I've ever had, came to me. I've never sold myself. I don't go door to door. I don't like being in the position of needing the customer. Of course I do need the customer but I don't want them to know that.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            On my hanger...
                            Do people care enough about other larger scale projects.Repipes,remodels new underground cast below slab to justify inviting them to ...

"Ask about other projects in your neighborhood"

Another has told me to drop it.
                            I have never had hangers....but I might be missing out. Every customer has been word of mouth. I've had magnets made just to give to word of mouth customers to make it easier to find my number or pass it on for.... the next word of mouth customer.

As far as asking about other projects. Don't know. I think the best thing to put on there is what the customer would want the most. Make it the priority. Give them what they want & fast.

A drain is an emegency alot of the time and that customer won't care about the new construction I did down the street.

J.C.

Comment

Service Guy, what's your opinion. Seems like you've been very good at getting your business very busy & profitable in the first year. Now word of mouth is building on top of that.

Interested in your thoughts.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                                I have never had hangers....but I might be missing out. Every customer has been word of mouth. I've had magnets made just to give to word of mouth customers to make it easier to find my number or pass it on for.... the next word of mouth customer.

As far as asking about other projects. Don't know. I think the best thing to put on there is what the customer would want the most. Make it the priority. Give them what they want & fast.

A drain is an emegency alot of the time and that customer won't care about the new construction I did down the street.

J.C.
                                Drain care
                                20%off For New Customers

Comment

Working...
                                X