Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marketing Fundamentals

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Service Guy, what's your opinion. Seems like you've been very good at getting your business very busy & profitable in the first year. Now word of mouth is building on top of that.

Interested in your thoughts.

J.C.
    I am extremely successful at marketing myself to my niche market. However, my marketing plan was tailored specifically for my area, my market, and my niche. It works FOR ME. There is no one-size-fits-all marketing plan. So I am just watching this thread.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

The best return on investment comes from my business card magnets.

I have customers calling me from my magnets that used me two and three years ago.

They can be bought at Office Depot. Just stick your business card on it.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Herbert and Big Pipe, WOW, I could write a book on what you both posted. Just sit back and relax, good marketing is easy and in bo time at all you guys will fire your designers. YP people are dumber than a bag of hammers. Lets address this first. To get a job selling YP adds you just have to be a good salesman. Marketing plays no role in criteria jor a job in this department. They visit it me every year, and every year I invite then in and let them tell me there crap. I love it when they say color advertising sells more product. Here me now when I tell you nothing could be further from the truth.

Lets go back to the two rules of marketing again
        • GIVE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT
        • PEOPLE JUST WANT TO FEEL GOOD
        Every great ad starts with a great headline. No headline, no business. Period. Here is a marketing secret for ya. Open the yellow pages and start looking, what do you see?
        • XYZ Plumbing
        • 25 years experience
        • fully insured
        • bonded
        • free estimates
        When people see this do you know what registers in there head? This! blah,blah,blah,blah,blah,blah It's true, great marketing people know this, it was true 100 years ago and is true today. Consumers are markeded to death, you have to give them something to chew on. I'll get to this to.

Websites, this is my favorite. Most web people are dumber than YP people. They think good websites are fancy color and cool buttons. Do customers want this? NO. Are we giving customers what they want when we have a bunch of colors and fancy things on our site? NO. Does this make people feel good? NO Is this marketing? NO Here are a couple of web tips.
        • Put a picture of yourself in the upper left corner of the home page. In the USA people read left to right and the eye always starts in this position. A picture helps humanize the web experience. People like this, give customers what they want. Studies prove this.
        • Each page of the site has all the links at the top so anywhere they go everything is just one click away. People like this, studies prove this, give customers what they want.
        • Background color must be white. Words on a color background strain the eye, and customers really hate this, and studies prove it.
        • Like the YP's you need a headline, this helps direct people. I'll get into websites in the future, bare with me, we have a lot of ground to cover first.
        So far everything we talk about revolves around the 2 marketing rules. Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
          I am extremely successful at marketing myself to my niche market. However, my marketing plan was tailored specifically for my area, my market, and my niche. It works FOR ME. There is no one-size-fits-all marketing plan. So I am just watching this thread.
          I agree with you that there isn't necessarily a highest % fix all for everyone. I do think you might have some good thoughts to offer that I and others have not thought of though.

Everyone can learn something. I know I can.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
            Niche...cool,
            Where did you pick up that terminology?

Comment

JC
              I don't want to creat a sore spot here so let me try and clarify something. The correct principles of marketing are absolutely the same for any company of any size of any sort anywhere in the world. What changes is the approach. I guarantee SERVICE GUY does two things.
              • He gives his customers what they want
              • He makes them feel good
              Coming up I'll share some stories about how I get customers and they will be different than SERVICE GUY but we both follow the 2 rules. Mike

Comment

I've been reading about this from a few different sources and have heard that a headline is important.

However, how do you come up with a headline that is unique from the others?

Which headline will work?

Do I come up with a headline, try it in an expensive ad, only to find out its not a good headline?

Seems like I have to pay someone to come up with this in the first place
                Last edited by HebertDrainCare; 02-17-2009, 12:29 AM.

Lenny

Comment

Herbert, you make me laugh The best person to create a headline is you. You know your customers better than anyone else. Bare with me, you'll be a master headline guy soon. Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes Plumbing View Post
                    Herbert, you make me laugh The best person to create a headline is you. You know your customers better than anyone else. Bare with me, you'll be a master headline guy soon. Mike
                    I know some of my customers all to well.

This is the headline they'd like to see.

Free Drain Cleaning!!!

Lenny

Comment

[QUOTE=Mikes Plumbing;209594][SIZE=3]Battles E]
                      My service call charge is $25, while everyone in the area charges $80. All of my competition is dying right now. There all scratching there heads wondering how I can survive charging only $25. They don’t get it. Do customers want to here they are being charged $80 to show up? Heck no. The real truth is I charge the same amount as they do. When the bill comes I am the same price. Because I understand how to make customers feel good and my phone rings non-stop. I give people what they want

Excellent thread Mike but I have one question, if you charge a service call of $25 how do you make up the $55.
                      Do you make it up on the labour or on materials.

Simon

Comment

Free drain cleaning? AHH, that will be fun to cover that department.

Hello everyone, were going to get into the real nuts and bolts of marketing tonight. Big corporations have whats known as "brain storming sessions" when developing inter company changes. Very powerfull stuff. As a group we can also do the same. If everyone can contribute we can move much faster towards the end.

If everyone can, list the two best means you feel derives the best QUALITY customers, then post it. We all have different types of customers and types of work. But to maximize marketing we need to input data into a format the proves or disproves what we think. Everyones SYSTEM will be the same but the MARKETING VEHICLE can change for each on of us. So here is my two best means of getting customers. ( OK, it's three )
                        1. Word of mouth
                        2. $50 gift certificates
                        3. Personal communications
                        See ya all tonight, Mike

Remember only post the ones that get the real QUALITY CUSTOMERS ONLY

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                          I know some of my customers all to well.

This is the headline they'd like to see.

Free Drain Cleaning!!!
                          How about this then? Free Drain Cleaning!*

(*when purchasing a new sewerline from us, customer will get one free drain cleaning of any drain of their choosing)
                          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Simon ,I'll get into that. Mike

Comment

Service Guy, Yes, I think you understand what I'm getting at. What we need to do first if maximize all marketing efforts to find out which ones yield the most profit. This is the same thing big corporations do to maximize profit. You won't find this in any book. You are on the right track, but lets tweek it a little. Hang tite, again, it's coming MIke

Comment

If I fall asleep halfway through this seminar, do I still get to keep the free gift?

Comment

Working...
                                X