Marketing Fundamentals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marketing Fundamentals

Since this post has generated quite a ground swell of interest and even though I'd rather "talk about laying pipe or something", I've decided to nominate it for thread of the week. Though I'm not interested in how to market to the general public, I must admit that Mike is pretty good at baiting a hook.

Comment

Big Jim, you're killing me! One right after another.

J.C.

Comment

PC Plumber is that you?
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
          How about this then? Free Drain Cleaning!*

(*when purchasing a new sewerline from us, customer will get one free drain cleaning of any drain of their choosing)
          I guess gimmicks like these work, "Free Video Pipe Inspection With Sewer Repair".

Maybe I'm more of a skeptic than the rest of my fellow humans, but when I see the word free or discount, I automatically think "What's the catch?". There's always a catch, and I usually don't like the catch. The catch will often turn me off to using the company or product.

The catch to the free sewer repair, of course, is you're almost guaranteed to be sold a repair even for minor abnormalities in the pipe. There's no such thing as, "Well this is a minor problem that can be taken care with a cleaning every year or two", with a free video.

AT&T has the IPHONE, I'd like to upgrade to the IPHONE, (CATCH) but you have to sign a 2 year agreement. No thanks. What if the service begins to suck in that 2 years. I want the option to change without penalty.

Maybe I'm too skeptical.

And if the rest of my fellow humans are less skeptical than I am, then maybe I should be there with my "catch's" to gain the advantage.

Comment

You guys are making me think that this thread is going to end up with a "CATCH" at the end of it.

I'll lose interest quicker than I lost interest in the iphone.

Mike, you are a plumber with marketing background aren't you?

...or a wolf in sheep's clothing?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim
              Yes, I would say that he is a master baiter.
              I just blew wine bubbles through my nose when I read that

Comment

Am I missing something or did I sleep through another class?? Is the Marketing class over or hasn't it started yet??

I have a notebook and two #2 pencils ready but I don't have anything to write down yet. AmI in the correct room? Help!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                  You guys are making me think that this thread is going to end up with a "CATCH" at the end of it.

I'll lose interest quicker than I lost interest in the iphone.

Mike, you are a plumber with marketing background aren't you?

...or a wolf in sheep's clothing?
                  I bought the Iphone, bought it outright, works well for me.

Simon

Comment

I was just reading through some of the posts. I guess I owe everyone an apology. When this thread started it wasn’t my intention to try and bait people. I'm just trying to help those that need it. My company runs like a well oiled machine and I thought others could benefit. The marketing system I have in place works like I had designed it before I ever opened the doors on my company. I wish I could take credit for inventing a magic marketing system but it’s just not so. Everything I do is whats been done by the top companies in the country, I just copy it. The formula is something I have spent years researching and listening to leaders in their field. That’s the kind of person I am. When others were out pounding beer at the tavern I studied. Maybe it’s weird I don’t know. But one thing is certain; in my demographics my competition is loosing work in a shrinking market, while my company is growing at a record rate. And for those of you who think the economy is going to get better I wish you the best of luck. The big question is weather or not the marketing you have in place is going to work well for you in the future. Look at the companies across the country that are folding up. Want to know which ones are standing at the end! I promise you this, it’s the ones with the most solid marketing system. There the ones that prefer not to roll the dice, gamble, and see what happens. I hope I didn’t offend any one, that wasn’t my intention. My thoughts were to just share with you what I have and was willing to help anyone that might be feeling the pinch of the economy. I expected nothing in return. Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post
                      I bought the Iphone, bought it outright, works well for me.

Simon
                      I just recently looked at upgrading my phone to an Iphone with att. They require a 2 year agreement online. Don't know if that's different in store. I don't go to any store anymore if I can help it.

Why? My computer gives me no attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes Plumbing View Post
                        I was just reading through some of the posts. I guess I owe everyone an apology. When this thread started it wasn’t my intention to try and bait people. I'm just trying to help those that need it. My company runs like a well oiled machine and I thought others could benefit. The marketing system I have in place works like I had designed it before I ever opened the doors on my company. I wish I could take credit for inventing a magic marketing system but it’s just not so. Everything I do is whats been done by the top companies in the country, I just copy it. The formula is something I have spent years researching and listening to leaders in their field. That’s the kind of person I am. When others were out pounding beer at the tavern I studied. Maybe it’s weird I don’t know. But one thing is certain; in my demographics my competition is loosing work in a shrinking market, while my company is growing at a record rate. And for those of you who think the economy is going to get better I wish you the best of luck. The big question is weather or not the marketing you have in place is going to work well for you in the future. Look at the companies across the country that are folding up. Want to know which ones are standing at the end! I promise you this, it’s the ones with the most solid marketing system. There the ones that prefer not to roll the dice, gamble, and see what happens. I hope I didn’t offend any one, that wasn’t my intention. My thoughts were to just share with you what I have and was willing to help anyone that might be feeling the pinch of the economy. I expected nothing in return. Mike
                        Sounds good to me. A lot of skeptics around here, including myself . I look forward to hearing any recommendations in the hopes that one day I may remove this marketing dunce cap.

Besides a laugh here and there, my main reason for being here is to share what I know and learn from what others know. Thanks.

Comment

Ok Mike.

Let's assume you're an upstanding guy wanting to help and some will appreciate it.

What some feel is that you should get to the point. You said it yourself:

"Give the people what they want." And the people want you to get to the point.

I myself don't learn from post after post of "hang on guys, we're getting to what you need to know in the next post."

Just change your presentation some. I'm open to new ideas.

Think of it this way, on the Forum the members are your customers. You're selling them marketing. Right now you're losing customers & money.

J.C.

Comment

I smell something? You guys smell that? Hmmmmmmm.

Building a business is easy. It doesn't take seminars or endless conversations. All it takes is a committment to providing the very best service and value for the dollar in town. That's it plain and simple. You can spend hrs in seminars listening to some guy (charging you 5 bills) tell you how to dress, talk, paint your trucks, advertise, Blah Blah Blah. Give honest value for the dollar and work your *** off. Your business will grow.
                            sigpic

Comment

Heybear!!!
                              What are those,ahtletic support tube soxs?

How many pair of those you got Ricky Baby?

Comment

J.C. & the rest of you

When I say " hang on " thats because everything has an order. Marketing isn't guess work. It's no different than plumbing. When you learn plumbing it's taught in steps. When I say " hang on" it's a quick response to a question whos answer would be confusing until certain steps are followed. This isn't about just cool marketing stuff. Any body can come up with cool stuff to talk about.
                                The forum members are not customers, and I have no new ideas. The last new idea in marketing was the invention of the coupon in 1894 by Asa Candler for a small company called Coca Cola. All this is, is proven marketing methods packaged up in an organized manor. Then using proven methods tweeking and tweeking until your company has the most proffitable work using marketing that offers the most bang for the buck.
                                When I answer people and say " it's coming" thats also because as you folks are asking questions I'm busy going through a pile of years worth of notebooks trying to organize my thoughts and write my next post. But as I am pounding through my notebooks I hit refresh once and a while and BOOM, someone asks a question. What I am trying to help you guys with requires me to do alot of preparation and takes alot of time. Keep in mind I have only posted 1 post. We haven't even started yet. If people find this boring, i'm sorry, we can just stop the thred. I'm just trying to help.

Comment

Working...
                                X