X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marketing Fundamentals

A couple of members have asked me to explain my marketing system so this is why the thread was started. Please do not send me any more personal messages asking for advice or marketing tips. Also, two people have called me and that’s OK but I would rather keep it in the forum. I would like all of this to be public so everyone can benefit.

The other thread was named “Newspaper Advertising” but to really understand newspaper advertising we have to understand marketing fundamentals then work towards a goal and a purpose. For those of you interested in this thread I can help you only if you share with the group a little about your company, and I will do the same. With a little background information about your company I can then give you real advice and help.

The one thing I require is that those interested ask questions and contribute to the group. If not we can just kill the thread and talk about laying pipe or something. So here is the thread start, I have a couple things to do with my kids and I’ll be back to tell you about my company and how I planned, designed, marketed, and implemented it. See you in a couple of hours. Fell free to ask me anything marketing at any time. Mike

Re: Marketing Fundamentals

This should be under the Business Discussion Threads

Comment

I didn't realize there is a Business Discussion forum. oops. How can we switch it over and move it. This is the only forum I have been to. Sorry, Mike

Comment

Mike, I'm interested. I don't have a "company" as of yet but I currently do side work (mostly water heaters and faucets, installation/repair) in addition to working for a company during the day.
        I'm hoping to increase the number of calls I do per week. one idea I had was to get business cards printed and pass them out to everyone I come into contact with.
        Very interested in your take on things though.

Comment

Give them to the customers you meet working on your other job...

Just what every apprentice should be doing, side work without a license or insurance.... Way to take care of your customers AND show appreciation to your current employer...

Another Fast Buck HACK

Comment

Black Santa
            OkieBill is 100% right, not cool.

Comment

Mike. Definitely interested in your company's layout.

What's been successful for you?

Here's something alot don't like to admit-What's been some failures for you?
              (This interests me because I think we learn the most from our mistakes)

Looking forward to whatever you want to share. How else can I learn?

J.C.

Comment

I would be most interested in a thread of this scope, I'm in.
                sigpic
                www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

Hey JC
                  Yea, failure........hmmmm. I'll be posting in a few minutes when I get my wife off my back!

Comment

I will add a failure to start...

Phone Book Adds.

My small market has 3 phone books!!!! All of them got me for my standard adds this year.... Never again!

Funny thing is all of them said they had 80% of the market

Money wasted IMO and lesson learned...

When I was getting started I would hang door hangers in the neighborhoods I wanted to be working in ( when doing calls in the area).

I still get calls from my door hangers ( I have not put any out in a year now).

Comment

Okie, great post. What you said here is very important! Give me some time and I would love to go over this. Mike

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post

Phone Book Adds.

My small market has 3 phone books!!!! All of them got me for my standard adds this year.... Never again!

When I was getting started I would hang door hangers in the neighborhoods I wanted to be working in ( when doing calls in the area).

I think if you have the time getting out hanging cards on doors is pretty effective.

Comment

INTRODUCTION

OK, well I don’t know about you guys but I am pumped. I just love marketing. When I was a kid dinner discussions were always about marketing and expanding business. You see, I come from a family of people who own and run many types of companies, mostly manufacturing. Over time I guess I just started accumulating knowledge. Then, before you know it a passion for it somehow developed.

I was quite young when my fathers’ holding company bought its first company. The owner was in liquidation, and wanted out. After looking at its assets my father decided marketing was the real problem, so he bought it. This is where my education started.

So he bought it, fired everyone in the office, put in a team of people, gave them marketing direction, implemented a systems based business solution and 3 years later sold it at an unbelievable profit.

Since then he has done this dozens of times and each time it worked just as he planned it. At the home where I grew up I have had dinner with some really amazing business people. And like I always say my real education was before I started college.

College was hard for me. Business classes were contrary to everything my father and his buddies did. It wasn’t until my 2nd year I began to realize the professors in school had no clue. And to this day I fell the same way, actually my opinions are even stronger now. I didn’t learn much in college. Looking back it all makes sense now, after all most companies are failures. If you think I’m kidding, look around. Look at the market. Statistics point out real clearly that most companies have a shelf life of about 20 years max.

When college was done I started a vending company, then sold it. Somehow I ended up plumbing and the rest is history.

When I decided to start a plumbing company I spent three months developing a system of marketing, developed simple spreadsheets to track marketing, and then implemented it.

What I can do now is explain from the start the process I began with and why it worked like I knew it was going to. Marketing has no secrets. In thousands of years good marketing has not changed one bit. Big companies know this, so lets start. I’ll post this then start typing another post. Mike

Comment

EasyEman, yes, you are right. In fact when I show you how I generate work, you will laugh. Mike

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post

Phone Book Adds.

Thank-you Bill
                              That makes me feel a lot better.
                              This past week I have been designing a hanger to walk this coming weekend in a neighborhood with hundreds of homes in need of help on there wasted underslab cast and uninsulated copper.

Mike,
                              I am a 24 year construction contractor who has been putting in plumbing in my 220,000 occupancy valley on many structures.
                              I would like for the community to know I would like to do their full scope service needs.
                              Got the equipment to handle 95% of all drain calls.
                              My license numbers date me to 1990.I work out of a pickup.
                              I'm not too shy to share anything.What else would you like to know?

Comment

Working...
                              X