X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICC EduCode

I was just wondering if anyone is planning on attending the ICC EduCode next week? I am hoping to attend and take some of the Green classes. If you are planning on attending send me a PM and we will meet up.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: ICC EduCode

Boy your lucky I'm on a budget.I might have considered it in better times.
    But you were already aware of my situation and didn't want to hurt my feelings by telling me earlier so I could get good air fair.

My Pal

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      But you were already aware of my situation and didn't want to hurt my feelings by telling me earlier so I could get good air fair.

My Pal
      Air fare heck, Las Vegas is only a 5-hour drive. I wasn't going until my schedule just freed up Monday. The following week is the RWAU convention in Saint George. If I attend both I might end up with 16 CEU within two short weeks.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post

My Pal
        By the way EduCode is the International Code Councils annual training so I am not sure there will be any Uniform Code classes.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          By the way EduCode is the International Code Councils annual training so I am not sure there will be any Uniform Code classes. I am hoping to attend and take some of the Green classes.

Mark
          Are you serious, Mark? The Hatfields and Mc Coy's are still at each other's throats.
          Speaking of Green courses, has anyone here taken any GreenPlumber classes?

Comment

Will they let you in even though you have the IAPMO avatar?

Would you recommend a membership in ICC or IAPMO for Individuals?
            Last edited by EasyEman; 02-19-2009, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Easy
              If the UPC is your code, which I think it is, then IAPMO membership will be more of an asset to you. They even have a local chapter in Tucson.
              They meet on the 3rd Tuesday of the month 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
              at the Tucson Chamber of Commerce Building
              465 W. Saint Mary's Rd.
              Tucson, AZ

Comment

Tucson is on UPC... But county and all surrounding towns Marana, Oro Valley, etc are ICC. Oye So much for a unified code. So on some occasions the T&P has to discharge between 6" and 24" at one house and across the street it has to discharge 6" or less from the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                  Tucson is on UPC... But county and all surrounding towns Marana, Oro Valley, etc are ICC. Oye So much for a unified code. So on some occasions the T&P has to discharge between 6" and 24" at one house and across the street it has to discharge 6" or less from the ground.
                  I don't envy you having to know both codes. On the brighter side, the more complicated it is to do business in your area because of this code confusion, the greater your competitive advantage if you know the ins and out of both codes.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                    Will they let you in even though you have the IAPMO avatar?

Would you recommend a membership in ICC or IAPMO for Individuals?
                    I am a member plus certified as a plumbing inspector in both. I don't really need the ICC yet but I'm sure I will need it somewhere soon.

Mark

Comment

ICC EduCode

I thought I would do a quick up date of the classes so far this week. Monday was an all day class on the UMC/IMC for Environmental Air Exhaust. Today was all about Green Plumbing and Mechanical. The morning session was taught by Tom Meyers who was knowledgeable but only got into basic stuff. The afternoon was taught by Mike Mitchell the Senior Plumbing Inspector for San Francisco. He really got into the meat and potatoes of it and it was enjoyable to sit in the class. Mike Mitchell is teaching the class I am attending tomorrow as well. Tomorrow is all day on direct vent and tankless water heaters.

Mark

Comment

Okay all the classes are over so I will try to catch everyone up. On:

Wednesday it was a full day of Ventless, Direct Vent and Tankless water heaters. Very informative class with reps from both Noritz and AO Smith coming in. AO Smith showed us their new 96% efficiency storage water heater. Neat heater but it cost as much as a small motorcycle.

Thursday was a little different as I took a class called "Spanish-in-a-Pinch". Man I have to tell you the instructor totally ROCKED! I would highly recommend this class to anyone looking for a way to communicate with non-English speaking Hispanics on the job site and/or in the field.

Friday was one of the strangest classes I have ever taken. The instructor some how jammed four days of class into a single loooooooong day. The morning class was a combination IPC/UPC 2009 Update and the afternoon class was a IMC/UMC 2009 Update. Here is a little about the instructor:

"Tim Collings is the senior inspector for Salt Lake City, Utah. He has been inspecting plumbing, mechanical and fire protection systems for Salt Lake City since August 1981. A licensed plumber in both Wyoming and Utah, Tim is also a licensed plumbing and heating contractor. A long-time member of IAPMO, Tim was elected to the Board of Directors, serving in that capacity for seven years. In addition to his work on the Board, Tim served on many IAPMO committees including: the IAPMO Plumbing Code Change Committee; the Mechanical Code Workshop Committee; the Credentials Committee; the Special Seminar Committee; the Research Committee; the Ad Hoc Committee on Grease Traps. In addition to his wide experience as a committee member, Tim chaired the Appendix C Committee and the Ad Hoc Committee on the Thermal Expansion. Tim¹s instruction is supported by a solid background that combines professional experience with a wide variety of committee service."

You might have notice the instructor is a big shot with IAPMO yet is the Chief Plumbing and Mechanical Inspector for Salt Lake City, Utah (an IPC/IMC State). While he does not care for a lot of the I Codes he still has to enforce them as they were adopted by his State.

Does anyone know the maximum allowable closet arm length under the 2009 IPC? I bet you got it wrong, there is no limit. You could have as long of a closet arm as you want now.

On top of great classes I walked away with 40 hours of "Professional Development Hours" - 4.0 CEU. Next week I was suppose to attend another 40-hours with the Rural Water Association of Utah but I received late notice to work in Reno next week. Even with all of these classes put on by the ICC all of the slides, hand outs and Instructors were IAPMO. I would recommend the EDU Code to anyone who is serious about their trade.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          Okay all the classes are over so I will try to catch everyone up. On:

Wednesday it was a full day of Ventless, Direct Vent and Tankless water heaters. Very informative class with reps from both Noritz and AO Smith coming in. AO Smith showed us their new 96% efficiency storage water heater. Neat heater but it cost as much as a small motorcycle.

Thursday was a little different as I took a class called "Spanish-in-a-Pinch". Man I have to tell you the instructor totally ROCKED! I would highly recommend this class to anyone looking for a way to communicate with non-English speaking Hispanics on the job site and/or in the field.

Friday was one of the strangest classes I have ever taken. The instructor some how jammed four days of class into a single loooooooong day. The morning class was a combination IPC/UPC 2009 Update and the afternoon class was a IMC/UMC 2009 Update. Here is a little about the instructor:

"Tim Collings is the senior inspector for Salt Lake City, Utah. He has been inspecting plumbing, mechanical and fire protection systems for Salt Lake City since August 1981. A licensed plumber in both Wyoming and Utah, Tim is also a licensed plumbing and heating contractor. A long-time member of IAPMO, Tim was elected to the Board of Directors, serving in that capacity for seven years. In addition to his work on the Board, Tim served on many IAPMO committees including: the IAPMO Plumbing Code Change Committee; the Mechanical Code Workshop Committee; the Credentials Committee; the Special Seminar Committee; the Research Committee; the Ad Hoc Committee on Grease Traps. In addition to his wide experience as a committee member, Tim chaired the Appendix C Committee and the Ad Hoc Committee on the Thermal Expansion. Tim¹s instruction is supported by a solid background that combines professional experience with a wide variety of committee service."

You might have notice the instructor is a big shot with IAPMO yet is the Chief Plumbing and Mechanical Inspector for Salt Lake City, Utah (an IPC/IMC State). While he does not care for a lot of the I Codes he still has to enforce them as they were adopted by his State.

Does anyone know the maximum allowable closet arm length under the 2009 IPC? I bet you got it wrong, there is no limit. You could have as long of a closet arm as you want now.

On top of great classes I walked away with 40 hours of "Professional Development Hours" - 4.0 CEU. Next week I was suppose to attend another 40-hours with the Rural Water Association of Utah but I received late notice to work in Reno next week. Even with all of these classes put on by the ICC all of the slides, hand outs and Instructors were IAPMO. I would recommend the EDU Code to anyone who is serious about their trade.

Mark
                          Didn't get me. 'Cause it's a self filling/restoring trap. Right?

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                          X