X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WH in parallel

Okay I know there are other posts in here on this subject, but I didn't find one that deal with my situation.

The home I bought has 2- 40 gal, Rheem LP WH's currently connected in series. I would like to connect them parallel so there is equal draw/demand on each heater. I understand the need for equal # of joints and piping. The problem is they are both in mechanical room in the basement, with a furnace in bewtween them. There is also some duct work, electical etc so to pipe with exact same pipe and fittings would be very tough and maybe not possible.

I don't have any experience with thermostatic mixing valves....not sure if it would help me with 2 heaters to control equal draw from each heater??

The only time we really draw more than the 40 gal of hot water is to fill our master bath, jetted 2 person tub (doesn't happen often enough). The first heater is usually left off and the 2nd heater set slightly higher to compensate.

I also felt if they were parallel I could turn the temps down on each and have adequate supply of hot water with less work from each of them....

Any ideas are appreciated.

Re: WH in parallel

Not sure why you have two heaters if you only use one. I thought that the first heater was to warm the water so the second wouldn't work so hard to heat the water.
    So having one off doesn't make sense to me.

I think the thermostatic valves are to balance hot and cold not sure it would work with two hots.

Comment

I wouldn't think a few 90s would hurt you that much,,A few gals at the most,,I have added water heaters on the opposite side of the house tieing into a 3/4 cold line , and sending it back in the original 3/4 hot line with good results.. the hot meets in the middle

Comment

Yes it is nice if they are equal but getting close as you can would still work a heck of a lot better then being in series,

go for it you will be glad you did
        JERRYMAC
        E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
        CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
        FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
        SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

My opinion is that series is better. You will seldom get a perfect mirror image on a parallel. Two 40 gallon parallel tanks equals 60 gallons of usable hot water. Two 40 gallon series equals 70 gallons of hot water.

Comment

I don't think you will gain much either. I would turn up the first heater a little more. You will spend more in copper repiping it than it is worth.

Comment

I have always done them in series. I am not sure why so many people think the other way is better. In the north we just turn the first one off in the summer. The only time I have seen the other way as working is in a B&B where they could shut one off if it leaked and wait till a good time to replace the bad one. I would always run them in series.

Comment

I always do series, set the first heater lower than the second.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Your recovery rate is much higher if you run them in series.

I would leave them that way.

I run em parallel all the time, because they are drawn that way, and all piping MUST be equal, or you will lose all balance.

Your heaters will last longer, and be more efficient if you leave them in series.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback.

I will try adjusting temps for now and see how things seem to be working.

Comment

Working...
                    X