Backflow prevention

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Backflow prevention

I use the same test rig wether it be for fire or domestic services, do you really think that that would introduce anykind of pathogens or bacteria into a water supply?

Comment

Read

http://abpa.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=9...eparate+gauges
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Thanks Bob, that was interesting. It is as I thought, gray water for irrigation systems. We don't deal with that here in the mid-south. I do have some customers who have disconnected from the city water supply and pump their water from a nearby lake for irrigation purposes. In such cases we remove the r.p. and cap off the incoming city supply.
        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

You might want to check what your local regulations are before you purchase a test kit. Different authorities want different services. I know that California purveyors will only accept a test performed with a two valve gauge. Here in British Columbia they will throw out the test report if I perform a test with a two valve. I need a three or five valve gauge.

I tend to like a dial that has BIG text and hash marks. Conbraco gauges are made by Mid-West and are more expensive than Mid-West. $740 for a Mid-West gauge compared to the exact same gauge with a Conbraco name on it for $1010
          A lot of Schools have Watts gauges because Watts donates tons of equipment to schools. Try a couple of different brands out if you can while you're in the class and see what feels good in your hands. Some gauges have quarter turn ball valves for the high/low side so that you can readily see if the valve is open or not.

Mid-West kits and accessories
          http://www.backflowtestkits.com/accessories.html

These sites have a choice of brands and accessories
          http://www.gageitinc.com/index.htm

If you ever have a problem with anything backflow related, Bavco can get it to you in side of 48 hours.
          www.bavco.com

Comment

I carry 2 midwest model 845-3 testers. They are good units. You really don't have to get too fancy on the tester.I actually prefer the 3 valve. You only have to hang on to 1 bleeder hose.

$100 per year each for calibration.

Comment

Working...
            X