X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tankless installed today

Installed this tankless water heater today. Went well, except for my help connected low voltage control wire to 120volt A/C I found out the hard way when I got shocked by a low voltage wire while attempting to install t-stat. I new something wasn't right, so I go outside to see what the he!! was up and he was about to connect 120 wires that feed to the transformer to PC board I guess he wasn't listening to that part of the training course.
    Last edited by plumbertim1975; 02-23-2009, 11:48 PM.

Re: Tankless installed today

Hope he did'nt burn it out..
    Do people up north stick these things outside??????
    we dont have real bad winters in Arkansas , but i would'nt wont the problem

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
      Hope he did'nt burn it out..

we dont have real bad winters in Arkansas , but i would'nt wont the problem
      Nope, just my finger
      No problems if installed correctly

Comment

Rinnai units have 5 -16 watt heaters in them that kick on at 37 and shut off at 57 degrees. If it doesn't warm up the unit will fire up and run three seconds. They can be installed in -30 temps I believe, however, you wouldn't catch this cat installing them outside in my area.
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
          Went well, except for my help connected low voltage control wire to 120volt A/C
          That's why you're plumbers and not electricians

Comment

Originally posted by Badabing View Post
            That's why you're plumbers and not electricians
            The 120 volt wires are clearly labeled. Most plumbers I know can put black to black and white to white. Not that hard. When there is no electrician around you kinda have to do it yourself. When you change a water heater do you bring an electrician with you?

Comment

The 120 volt wires are clearly labeled. Most plumbers I know can put black to black and white to white. Not that hard. When there is no electrician around you kinda have to do it yourself. When you change a water heater do you bring an electrician with you?
              Here was one for me to figure out last week. 240v pump with 1 float and 2 high level alarms wired in series.

West Trail Mechanical Ltd
              Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

When you change a water heater do you bring an electrician with you?

i AM the electrician, so yes, i do.

Comment

Will those tankless units run if the power goes out? If not, how can they be installed outside in cold climates? In Toronto, we get below zero temps often throughout the winter. This winter, a month ago we had a 10 - 24 hour electrical outage (a transformer blew at a sub station when it got flooded out by fire sprinklers). How could the tankless survive that power outage?

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                    Will those tankless units run if the power goes out? If not, how can they be installed outside in cold climates? In Toronto, we get below zero temps often throughout the winter. This winter, a month ago we had a 10 - 24 hour electrical outage (a transformer blew at a sub station when it got flooded out by fire sprinklers). How could the tankless survive that power outage?
                    I guess one may want to add the neccessary costs of a generator for these types of instances.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                      A small self draining selonoid valve is installed on the conditioned side of the heater. When power is lost, water is shut off and the heater drains out. For short term outages a UPS can be plugged in.

Comment

battery backup

Comment

i AM the electrician, so yes, i do.
                          If you are an electrician why are you changing out water heaters? Do you also change out gas fired heaters??

Comment

Originally posted by APHCO View Post
                            If you are an electrician why are you changing out water heaters? Do you also change out gas fired heaters??
                            I'm not changing them out, I'm the one you're supposed to call when you're doing the job to do the wiring... correctly. =p When installing a new tankless that's gas, are you also running a 120v line from the panel to the tankless unit for the ignitor to plug into?? I don't recall that being part of the plumbers job. If the unit's an electric water heater, are you also hooking it up??? Oh sure, it's black to black, white to white... doesn't make you an electrician. I see the way you guys talk about hacks trying to do plumbing... same goes for electricity.

Comment

I'm not changing them out, I'm the one you're supposed to call when you're doing the job to do the wiring... correctly. =p When installing a new tankless that's gas, are you also running a 120v line from the panel to the tankless unit for the ignitor to plug into?? I don't recall that being part of the plumbers job. If the unit's an electric water heater, are you also hooking it up??? Oh sure, it's black to black, white to white... doesn't make you an electrician. I see the way you guys talk about hacks trying to do plumbing... same goes for electricity.
                              The man has a point...
                              West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                              Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Working...
                              X