Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How quiet is a Rinnai tankless, *really*?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How quiet is a Rinnai tankless, *really*?

I'm considering the purchase of multiple Rinnai tankless hot water heaters for a remodelling project where maintaining quiet is one of the design objectives. Rinnai claims its tankless units are quiet, and claims a noise level of 49 db(a) across its range of tankless models--see attached. However, when I look at the Bosch noise level data, it claims a range of 45 to 65 db(a). i.e. a 100x difference in possible sound pressure levels, depending on...? I have no direct experience with either brand, but I suspect the Bosch numbers are more "honest" for common sense reasons: it makes sense that the direct-vent blower on the tankless would make less noise when it is consuming its minimum 19,900 BTU's than when it is burning it's maximum 199,000 BTU's. I therefore suspect that Rinnai's 49 db(a) noise rating is marketing spin and reflects the noise level at the lowest end of its range.

FWIW, I did contact the local distributor for Rinnai, and he was useless.

I've come here to get the facts from anyone with actual experience or knowledge of Rinnai units. I can design the soundproofing plan accordingly if I know what I'm dealing with. I can't be shooting in the dark only to find out my assumption is off by 100x because of sleazy advertising!

David
    Attached Files
    Last edited by neverdie; 02-22-2009, 11:28 PM.

Re: How quiet is a Rinnai tankless, *really*?

For instance, Eternal gives the "maximum noise" for it's different models, although it's ambiguous as to whether Eternal's db refers to db(a) or some other reference.

Ideally, I'd like to see the SPL's at different frequencies so I could pick the most appropriate soundproofing materials, but I'm not too hopeful of finding that information, unless someone here has done their own measurements at a 1 meter distance that they're willing to post.

David
    Attached Files

Comment

Rinnai is VERY quiet.... Medium whisper is what I equate it to.

FYI, I bet the "worthless" Rep could take you to a Rinnai install so you could hear for yourself... Just a thought

Comment

David
        While you're at it, ask the Eternal rep for a test drive as well and report your findings back to us. Real world information is always welcome.

Comment

What exactly are you doing?

Tank heaters are pretty quiet, better performing, at equal or better cost.

J.C.

Comment

The indoor units tend to have more noise to them than the outdoor units. The indoor units have a tendency of sucking bugs into the blower assembly wich causes need for a cleaning and causes the unit to run louder than usual. If you install the unit in an enclosure on an exterior ( my prefered installation) wall you may get a little vibration noise in the wall. You will only here this when it is very quiet in the house and the unit is operating. You should also go to Rinnai's web site to find authorized installers/Authorized Service Providers for your area.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
              The indoor units tend to have more noise to them than the outdoor units. The indoor units have a tendency of sucking bugs into the blower assembly wich causes need for a cleaning and causes the unit to run louder than usual. If you install the unit in an enclosure on an exterior ( my prefered installation) wall you may get a little vibration noise in the wall. You will only here this when it is very quiet in the house and the unit is operating. You should also go to Rinnai's web site to find authorized installers/Authorized Service Providers for your area.
              An indoor and an outdoor unit get their combustion air from the same place OUTDOOR's why would an indoor location get more bugs?

I have only installed a couple dozen Rinnai's and have never had a noisy blower due to "Bugs"... ... .....

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                An indoor and an outdoor unit get their combustion air from the same place OUTDOOR's why would an indoor location get more bugs?

I have only installed a couple dozen Rinnai's and have never had a noisy blower due to "Bugs"... ... .....
                Bill
                Tankless heaters mounted indoor get their combustion from the room they are in, not from outside. They are one pipe (discharge only) units.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                  Bill
                  Tankless heaters mounted indoor get their combustion from the room they are in, not from outside. They are one pipe (discharge only) units.
                  Some might ...

My Rinnai has one pipe per se, but really is composed of a pipe within a pipe. The inside pipe is the exhaust, the outside draws in air. The chimney is composed of an exhaust and intake sections.

Comment

Originally posted by theoak View Post
                    Some might ...

My Rinnai has one pipe per se, but really is composed of a pipe within a pipe. The inside pipe is the exhaust, the outside draws in air. The chimney is composed of an exhaust and intake sections.
                    Mia culpa. Good point. I forgot that Rinnai's flue was different then the others.

Comment

Mia culpa. Good point. I forgot that Rinnai's flue was different then the others.
                      That was my point

Comment

Takagi is the same type flue as well

Comment

I just spend a day with a Rinnai service guy for tankless training. We tore apart the units, put them back together, & troubleshooted.

Having said all that, if they gave me one for free, I would not put it in my house.

The Rinnai service guy told me 60db on the sound. I thought they were definitely quieter than a Noritz.

They beep annoyingly when the thermistors get limed up and you better be available to service it because I promise, you will be called immediately.

You can over ride the alarm but I wouldn't do it.
                          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Muchos Huevos

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post

Some how the bugs get sucked in from the intake of the Ubbink vent pipe into the blower assembly. We have alot of bugs here in the summer time that may be the difference here than were you are. I have never had to clean out a fan assembely or burner assembly on an outdoor unit only indoor. If it gets bad enough the thermostat will call for a code 12. You should know what that is being an ASP.

Comment

Working...
                              X