Pop Up From Hell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pop Up From Hell

I always put a bead of silicone on the mack washer and never have had a problem since I started doing that.

Comment

The quality and design of the pop ups these days are for the birds! I rarely had problems with the all brass Price Pfister styles (yes I doped the washer). Now adays they are all plastic with course threads that allow water to dribble right through the washer, or they are plastic and brass that must be lined up perfectly to seal. Using clear silicone seal is the only guarantee. I installed 2 customer supplied Home depot Pegasus brands and neither would hold water in the sink. Extra cheap chinese junk!............... Also the plastic pop up linkage that comes with the new Price Pfisters and some of their knock offs is not bendable for the large widespread bowls, you have to use the old style Price Pfister metal linkage and bend them at an offset to reach the trip lever arm. Extra parts you might not have on hand!
      Last edited by plumb4life; 02-24-2009, 10:19 PM.

Comment

I use the silicone myself and put it between the brass and basin on top and when it is in place I squeeze the silicone between the threads and the basin but try not to get it onto where the basin contacts the basin as when you put pressure on it the gasket deforms and moves off centre.

Sorry my english is not the best but you get the drift.
        If I could write well I wouldn't be a plumber.

Simon

Comment

Like DELCASE I dope the bottoms and all turns out fine.
          I just put in an AM.Stand lav faucet for a neighbor.This is one of these ones with the cable and it doesn't hold water either.American Standard makes garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post

Sorry my english is not the best but you get the drift.
            If I could write well I wouldn't be a plumber.

Simon
            I RESENT that. (Or maybe I resemble that)
            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Once I run the nut and washer up nice and tight, I back the nut and metal washer back down, put a string of putty between the metal washer and the rubber gasket and tighten it back up. It's worked every time (that I can remember)

I've found the Gerber pop up to hold water the best.

I am a plumber, therefore I write well.
              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I used putty for the first 33 yrs..

but lately people have been buying the home center junk for me to install.

seems all of um have a issue. then one day I grew a brain and bought some silicone.......WOW...it holds everytime. I'll never use putty again unless it's the delta brand...
                sigpic

Comment

I don't like dealing with silicone under a sink because if I do have a leak I hate getting that stuff all over me. I used to wrap the shank of the pop up *** with some teflon tape while the retaining nut was all the way down. Sure the nut did not snug up like butter but I had very few leaks. The best pop up out there is no longer made and can you believe it was a Kohler product. All brass construction with a removable plunger and it held water for a week.

Comment

When you guys say silicone do you mean the clear silicone that comes in like a caulking tube and goes in the gun. And do you install it were you would put the putty or under the sink on the gasket. And if thats the case wont you have to wait all day for it to dry before water testing?
                    You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

That's what it sounds like to me as well, and yes I always use putty under the upper flange.

Comment

Putty under the flange and silicone on the rubber gasket, have not had a leak since I started doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingParamedics View Post
                          When you guys say silicone do you mean the clear silicone that comes in like a caulking tube and goes in the gun. And do you install it were you would put the putty or under the sink on the gasket. And if thats the case wont you have to wait all day for it to dry before water testing?
                          You can buy the clear silicone in small hand squeeze tubes, you don't need the monster caulking gun type. I use putty under the pop up flange but silicone on the threads and doughnut before I tighten it up all the way. Then Use your finger to smooth out over the nut and thread. If you do the pop up drains first, but don't hook up the tail piece and trap till after the faucet is set, the silicone will have "skinned up" enough to test.
                          Last edited by plumb4life; 02-25-2009, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Has anyone tried the washers that Sioux Chief makes that you put in instead of putty on the stopper flange?

J.C.

Comment

Are they simular to the rubber ones that come with Price Pfisters (that I discard for putty)?

Comment

I'm getting lazy in my old age. I used to dope the threads on pop-ups, but don't anymore. I seem to have far fewer problems than I used to. And I even use the plastic pop-ups that come with Gerber, Peerless, and the like. I guess it's all in the wrist.

And I would never use oil-based putty on a rubber washer, and certainly not on a plastic sink top.

Comment

Working...
                                X