X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop Up From Hell

Today I install 3 new pop up assemblys in Lavotorys two went fine but the third one kicked my ***. It took me 1 hour to install it without leak, then I get a call later in the day from the customer telling me its leaking a little. I have had some hard ones like these before but always get it right before i leave the house. I carry 2 brands of pop up assemblys on my truck but on both the black washer underneith is just a little bigger then the hole in the lav so when i tighten it, it barely seals around the hole it wants to pull up through the hole. Any ideas or brands that are made with bigger better washers Thanks
    You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Re: Pop Up From Hell

The Delta pop-up has a pretty big washer but it's thin. The Price Pfister is too small. Gerber has a pretty thick one. I've had to use rainbow packing with an oversized metal washer to back it up.

Comment

I put putty between the mack washer and the bottom of the bowl.

Comment

My local hardware store sells Sheets of rubber in different thicknesses if I have a problem getting a good washer.
        I haven't had to make a Mack washer yet,guess I've been lucky so far.

Comment

Recently had the same problem on a Delta. Double sinks. Same faucet, lavatory, & popup in the left sink.

The one on the right WILL NOT hold water. I've tried the stopper from the one on the left, the original one, and a replacement one. NONE will hold water. I've got a new bottom piece coming.

Special finish.... of course.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Recently had the same problem on a Delta. Double sinks. Same faucet, lavatory, & popup in the left sink.

The one on the right WILL NOT hold water. I've tried the stopper from the one on the left, the original one, and a replacement one. NONE will hold water. I've got a new bottom piece coming.

Special finish.... of course.

J.C.
            Bottom Piece?

I can't imagine you mean the lav itself.
            And if the one from the left hand assembly.....

Comment

Sorry.

The piece that sits in the bottom of the lavatory but is considered the top of the popup assembly. (excluding the plunger) Where you would put your putty or silicone.

I'm just guessing it's machined out of tolerance.

I have one more theory but am to mention right now.

I'll wait and change the part and plunger.

J.C.

Comment

I always put pipe dope on my basin washer it cuts down on most of the problems. if you are going to have a prob that is were it is ..
                All sinks are not made the same ,or same size drain hole,Its not you
                If you can find a over sized basin washer it shoud do it
                it should be standard but its not

Comment

Correction. I read the OP wrong. I'm way off today.

My problem was with the stopper on a Delta. Would not hold water.

Delcase, also was taught to dope the basin washer. And for whatever magical reason, it WILL cut down on leaks & callbacks.

J.C.

Comment

Glad I'm not the only one that stuff happens too.

Whenever I talk about a problem I am having with another plumber they just look at me and say "huh, never had that happen."
                    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                      Glad I'm not the only one that stuff happens too.

Whenever I talk about a problem I am having with another plumber they just look at me and say "huh, never had that happen."
                      Some of them won't admit it.

J.C.

Comment

Yea I dope them everytime, The only one I seem to not have leaks after first try every time has been the new style that is grey plastic and the nut is pre assemblied on the drain and all you do is tighten it and it raises it till its tight I forget what brand that one is maybe somebody remembers.

Comment

I have done that brand ,lost it in my mind, just because some one makes it ....dosent mean it works

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingParamedics View Post
                            Yea I dope them everytime, The only one I seem to not have leaks after first try every time has been the new style that is grey plastic and the nut is pre assemblied on the drain and all you do is tighten it and it raises it till its tight I forget what brand that one is maybe somebody remembers.

I think you are talking about the Delta faucets that Home Depot carries,they use a small cable in place of the trip lever also.

Comment

No not that one for sure!

Comment

Working...
                              X