Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nylon Closet Bolts

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
    Thanks so much Souix Chief for taking the trade down yet another notch.

So now we've reached the point where cutting off brass bolts is way too much work? Why not just glue the damn thing down? Maybe someone should come up with a twist lock or bayonett mount toilet. How much more of this homeowner crap are we going to put up with? I actually saw a pair of 1" sharkbite ball valves on the supply house counter today. At this rate in 10 years our licenses will be nothing more than a way for the state to generate money.

CRAP, CRAP, CRAPITTY CRAP!
    WHY GO 1/2 WAY ? Why not RUBBER ONES???? They'll be next to the A.A.V. at H.D.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
      I never had a problem sawing the bolts ..I use a good blade and my hand ,,no fancy blade holder to get in the way ,,And it fits good in my box..
      I would be afraid off plastic bolts
      Use My 4" grinder My self!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

there crap they loosen up over time. I used to be a warranty guy for a large new construction company. i probably replaced 300 of those things there garbage
        Mike
        Clark County Plumbing And Drain
        www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          Use My 4" grinder My self!
          I don't know if I want to roll out a cord to set a toilet.
          Not so much you Tool,but seeing a grinder on a toilet in the hands of other than a handfull of people I know would scare the crap out of me.

Comment

I always seem to weigh in on the side of progress. I've used the plastic bolts and have had no problems with them. They should not be overtightened for obvious reasons.

The ones in the picture have the fast threads, but some have a lower pitch.

The biggest benefit should be the most obvious - they don't corrode. No need to double nut because the base is large and has a pyramidal shape to keep it from twisting.

I'm certainly not against saving labor. With all the extra work I do to keep my work area clean and to finesse the job, a little saved labor is nothing to sneer at.

All that said, I regularly use brass bolts. Finally, after all these years, I can buy them already packaged with double nuts and washers. And the price is far better than what I used to pay for bulk boxes of bolts, nuts, washers. And although I saw them off, there's a technique that can be used where a pair of channellocks is all that's needed to break them off smooth with the nut. I just prefer the saw.

For me, it's a toss-up. Since I'm not over worked, I can take the time to use the brass, and the cost isn't something that will affect my bottom line over the course of the year. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

i've seen them but never tried them.

i've sawed off/ tiny tim, tens of thousands of 1/4'' brass bolts without any problems.

the brass plated steel bolts are not legal.

i'm willing to try the plastic, but i still have buckets of brass bolts to use up

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Only knock on the ones I've seen is you couldn't use the covers that come with the toilet.

As far as them loosening, I don't think that would be much of an issue with a toilet caulked to the floor. (code)

J.C.

Comment

I used to use the plastic bolts ...No real problems ... May go back to them ...

Dave

Comment

I've used these a couple of times they work pretty well.

http://www.setfastbolt.com/main.html

The bolt adjusts down when you tighten it , so there is no cutting.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      I don't know if I want to roll out a cord to set a toilet.
                      Not so much you Tool,but seeing a grinder on a toilet in the hands of other than a handfull of people I know would scare the crap out of me.
                      As a welder I use grinders a lot. Nice thing, Always a vanity outlet right there ,without an extension cord . NO room for error!

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        As a welder I use grinders a lot. Nice thing, Always a vanity outlet right there ,without an extension cord . NO room for error!
                        Wow tool that's the longest one I've ever seen,you must be able to do anything with it.

Good Day Tool?

Comment

Cordless Dremel.

But I'm diggin' post 24 some.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            Wow tool that's the longest one I've ever seen,you must be able to do anything with it.

Good Day Tool?
                            With Rick's help, You're getting a pink belly in Ohio

Comment

Hi,

There is a YouTube video showing the "SetFast" bolts in action. Great demo! The main problem with the Nylon bolts is they elongate or stretch after time.

We tested them with a "Instron strain gauge" to see how they would hold up against the 5/16" SetFast bolt. In short they streched (strain) 3% before breaking and the solid brass Setfast bolts were 4 times stronger (tensile strength).

If you do use the Nylon bolts be carefull not to tighten then any more than is needed. The tighter you make them the faster they will stretch or even break.

SetFast video clip:

http://www.rjstechllc.com

Comment

Yep, our trade is going down the toilet. Quality workmanship? Who need's it? Craftsmanship, thing of the past. Just get it done and keep it cheap. Come on. Really? Plastic closet bolts? Give me a break. The National Standard Plumbing code says "workmanlike manner". Does anyone know what that means?

Comment

Working...
                                X