X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nylon Closet Bolts

What's next? Hey how about we attach toilets with zip ties? That should shave a couple precious minutes off the time.
    sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't buy the "set fast" bolts. 99% of the service calls won't have the room under the flange for the bolt to drop under, not going to happen, don't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        What's next? Hey how about we attach toilets with zip ties? That should shave a couple precious minutes off the time.

Mark my words,

They are starting to make kitchen sinks, lavatory sinks with built in rubber connectors with clamp-tight connectors. We all know this from the connections made on garbage disposals.

This is coming, but I forsee not the "end" of the closet flange, but the end of using wax rings.

Think about the waxless seal, now think about a rubberized connection that is formed around or made into the bowl of a toilet, then connects to the closet flange by the use of the pipe itself, the flange will mainly secure the toilet to the floor.

It will have a grooved out spot or hole in the side of the toilet right above where the toilet bowl bolts come up, that'll be where you put your nut driver in and tighten up the rubber connection from pipe to toilet,

DONE DEAL. Now the toilet flange can be mounted at any location, the pipe runs long through the floor and it's a matter of measurement, make the connection and it's by far the most waterproof connection ever made when it comes to water closet to piping system.

I predict this, I'm knowing it will happen as it's all moving to quick rubber connects.

That will be the end of century old installations where there's no real "positive" way of knowing that toilet wax squeezed out properly, it's always been a guess.

I'm one for ideas but I'd never try hard to create a toilet like this. It would however be real easy to design by bringing the bottom part of the trapway up far enough where a rubber boot connector slides over a rounded porcelain horn, just like it has already.

Dunbar "making plumbing so easy that janet reno can do it" Plumbing
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I use the "set fast" bolts mentioned in a earlier post. They are really nice and no problems, and all I do is service work. The bolt did not go past the head in all the ones I had done. I use them exclusively.

No way would I use plastic closet bolts.
          Last edited by Tyman; 09-22-2009, 06:43 AM.
          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
            I wouldn't buy the "set fast" bolts. 99% of the service calls won't have the room under the flange for the bolt to drop under, not going to happen, don't like it.
            PM me your address and I will send you a set.
            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

This is REAL forward thinking with 300 lb. 7th graders in our society.
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post

I've used the "set fast" bolts many times. I would say, in my experience, they work fine 80% of the time. The conical head is kind of large for some collars and as mentioned in your post it can bottom out, but I've only seen one do this.
                I also use the Wolverine Brass large head, 5/16" short bolts which eliminate sawing the bolt most of the time.

Has anyone used the Fernco waxless ring? https://www.plumbersstock.com/produc...artNumber=4372
                "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                  PM me your address and I will send you a set.
                  Tyman thanks for pushing our SetFast bolts but save them for yourself. If some one needs a free sample just email me and mention this site.

BTW you don't need room under the flange. It all happens in the dead space between the top of the bowl and the floor. Most toilets have a base that is over 1' thick and that's what we based the design on. However our longer "XT" bolts may require clearance below the flange so if needed chip out a bit of the tile to be safe. In any event you can still cut the bolts if you run into trouble.

I myself have been in the trade for over 30 years. While I sold my company last year I still plan to renew my master plumb. license for 2010 just to keep it current.

Who knows...maybe I will have the erge to reset some toilets in the future. Sorry but i think so, that's one job I don't miss. I hated being on my knees cutting the bolts. I guess that's why I came with the idea.

You can email me via our web site.
                  http://www.rjstechllc.com

Thanks, Ray / RJS Tech
                  Last edited by rserret; 09-22-2009, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Ok Ray, just watched your video. The rest of you guys know what a miserable old Bastard I am about new stuff, but from what I saw, I'm suitably impressed. Brass, Stainless steel, only one plastic washer and from the looks of it it actually works. So I will give them a try though I'm not sure where to get them around here.
                    sigpic

Comment

Pretty fancy. I must say, it appears that quality was considered. However, I think it complicates a pretty simple process. I think I'll still stick with Wolverine Brass. 2 extra nuts and washers. Bolt the closet bolt to the flange.

What about trying to set one of them big ole' Mexican Standard or Kohler junk 1 Pc.? Better be sure you have a nut and washer on the flange, your helper, or Mrs. HO to guide it on.

Comment

Thanks for the thumbs up!

Like I mentioned, email me and I will send you a couple of freebies. Who knows I might even throw a "Johni-Bar" in with the deal.

Go to the site and click on the contact tab to shoot me an email.

http://www.rjstechllc.com.

Ray
                        RJS Tech, LLC

Comment

they look good to me. my boss bought a box of them for everyone to try.... that was about 2 years ago.... I just never wanted to try them... have them in the van but always reach for the 5/16 brass ones.
                          last year my boss bought a bunch of the set fast types from Wolverine Brass .... I have several in the cup holder of my van.... one of these day's I'll try them both.... the plastic bolts say they have a 1000 pound tensile strength???

oh someone said what next are we going to glue the toilets down???? good idea if you figure out the glue please let me know!

( kidding)

Comment

Working...
                          X