Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nylon Closet Bolts

Has anyone used these?

http://kscdirect.com/item/SIO%2B425-...ET%2BBOLT%250A

They are made by Sioux and the guys at the supply house stated that everyone that had tried them loved them. I bought a box today and will try them and let you know how they do.

At first glance, they look like they would be great. Course threads, means quicker. Definately easier to saw off (we had a poll at the supply house of the local plumbers least favorite thing about plumbing. I felt sure that pedestal lavs would win hands down, but i was wrong it was sawing off closet bolts.). I am concerned as to how they will hold up in the long run. Loosening over time? Becoming brittle and breaking?

Any info?

Re: Nylon Closet Bolts

At one time our IPC interpretation would not allow them. Gotta' check if that's still true. Had one person tell me he really liked them.

For cutting brass ones, a battery Dremel with a little cut wheel makes it easy.

Pedestal's are my least favorite.

J.C.

Comment

What size are the closet bolts? 1/4" or 5/16"? At the school district I have come to use solid brass (not brass plated steel) 5/16" closet bolts for durability from the rough use they get. The solid brass bolts don't rust out and cut quite easily with a fresh tiny tim bladed saw.

Comment

I have never seen them before.I would be hesitant to even try them I would have a hard time walking away and trusting them.

I think they would be good for the DIYers who like to tighten the bolts down till the flange breaks.

Comment

Had a guy in our shop use them and every time he would, I would get stuck going out to replace them with brass. I have found that they tend to loosen up after a while.

I have not used them, but believe they could be more useful with the newer closet collars than with the old CI flanges.

Just can't seem to find a place to try them out where it wouldn't be a big deal if they loosened up.

Comment

We have literally installed thousands of toilets with them ( Kohler , Mansfield , Gerber , Sterling , Toto ) , never - ever had a problem with them becoming loose , easy to cut off . We always use a new pair if the bowl has to be pulled , never have tried to reuse them . It's like anything new , you have to get used to using them . They appear to be 5/16 but a very coarse thread and they never pick up any type of corrosion .
            Last edited by leakfree; 02-25-2009, 10:40 PM.
            Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

what are the benefits over solid brass (all I use) other than easier to cut to length, not that big of a deal IMO

Comment

Love em! Easy to cut off without skinning up your knuckles. I order em in bulk from Barnett. My help had trouble with em when we first used em, he was over tightening them and they would pull through the flange. I would rather that happen than break the flange.

Comment

CHEAPER than solid brass. Most closet bolts that you buy at supply houses are brass plated and are relatively inexpensive, but solid brass is probably 300% more. These are comparably priced to the brass plated and like the brass never corode.

Comment

Although I love the idea of easy removal for future work, I highly doubt their effectiveness in holding the commode.

Some things are just better in brass in my opinion.

Such as:

waste and overflow
                    pop up assembly
                    basket strainer
                    dishwasher tailpiece
                    angle stop

I refuse to use plastic versions of these particular parts and I'm sure there are others I cant think of at this moment.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Thanks so much Souix Chief for taking the trade down yet another notch.

So now we've reached the point where cutting off brass bolts is way too much work? Why not just glue the damn thing down? Maybe someone should come up with a twist lock or bayonett mount toilet. How much more of this homeowner crap are we going to put up with? I actually saw a pair of 1" sharkbite ball valves on the supply house counter today. At this rate in 10 years our licenses will be nothing more than a way for the state to generate money.

CRAP, CRAP, CRAPITTY CRAP!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        Thanks so much Souix Chief for taking the trade down yet another notch.

So now we've reached the point where cutting off brass bolts is way too much work? Why not just glue the damn thing down? Maybe someone should come up with a twist lock or bayonett mount toilet. How much more of this homeowner crap are we going to put up with? I actually saw a pair of 1" sharkbite ball valves on the supply house counter today. At this rate in 10 years our licenses will be nothing more than a way for the state to generate money.

CRAP, CRAP, CRAPITTY CRAP!
                        I just wanted to thank you twice! Thank you!

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
                          Had a guy in our shop use them and every time he would, I would get stuck going out to replace them with brass. I have found that they tend to loosen up after a while.

I have not used them, but believe they could be more useful with the newer closet collars than with the old CI flanges.

Just can't seem to find a place to try them out where it wouldn't be a big deal if they loosened up.
                          That's exactly what I was thinking when I heard coarse threads on plastic.

Comment

Early on I learned that cutting closet bolts was more of a finesse thing,I hated forcing myself to keep from fisting the saw and cramming the blade through the cut instead of using the full length of the blade holding it in my fingertips.

I want waste my time with a blade with wasted teeth.

Comment

I never had a problem sawing the bolts ..I use a good blade and my hand ,,no fancy blade holder to get in the way ,,And it fits good in my box..
                              I would be afraid off plastic bolts

Comment

Working...
                              X