No announcement yet.

How do you remove WC t-bolts that spin?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you remove WC t-bolts that spin?

Ray,

That johnny bar looks cool, and I like the set-fast bolts too; no cutting them off to get the caps on after; always the right height.

Does anyone else always nut the bolts to the flange when you put new ones in? I always do if there is room for them to not crack the bowl, which there usually is. Ends the whole issue for the next guy.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
      Ray,

That johnny bar looks cool, and I like the set-fast bolts too; no cutting them off to get the caps on after; always the right height.

Does anyone else always nut the bolts to the flange when you put new ones in? I always do if there is room for them to not crack the bowl, which there usually is. Ends the whole issue for the next guy.
      We always do it that way. Takes 2 seconds longer, and makes it way easier to align a heavy 1 pc. WC!

Comment

I had a chance to use the Johnny Bar that rserret (Ray) invented, and was kind enough to send me. It works great. A laborer saw me use it and was intrigued. I showed how it worked and he had to tell me a story about his johny bolt woes. I can't recommend this tool highly enough. It works, and it's quick, takes up almost no space in your tool bag/bucket, light as a feather. Buy it!

Comment

I sell toilets and this tool works every time
          Attached Files
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rserret View Post

So if DUNBAR would like to meet JOHNI-BAR drop me me an email. I will give away 10 or so so if any other members here are interested contact me ASAP. Please, real plumbers only.

Thanks, Ray
            Originally posted by rserret View Post

As described in my earlier post Please, members/plumbers only.

Thanks, Ray
            Originally posted by Bogart View Post
            I had a chance to use the Johnny Bar that rserret (Ray) invented, and was kind enough to send me. It works great. A laborer saw me use it and was intrigued. I showed how it worked and he had to tell me a story about his johny bolt woes. I can't recommend this tool highly enough. It works, and it's quick, takes up almost no space in your tool bag/bucket, light as a feather. Buy it!

You da man Bogart! I have found that I am "not worthy" or I'm not a plumber one.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Okay time to put my moderator's hat on. Tell me why Ray's posts are not SPAM which needs to be deleted?

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                Okay time to put my moderator's hat on. Tell me why Ray's posts are not SPAM which needs to be deleted?

Mark
                Because we're capitalists and that's interesting?
                (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Sorry Mark I didn't look at it that way. If deleted I will understand.

Thanks everyone

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJdP5784-sc

Just a short video of how this tool worked for me. I told the fellow who was nice enough to send me one that I would give an honest review, just like I have on other plumbing products in this profession.

The tool does exactly what it states, which locks onto the bolt and prevents it from moving. This in turn allows the nut, whether or not it is rusted or the machined edges are rounded off to be removed from the closet bolt in order to remove the nut and release the toilet bowl from the closet flange.

This tool should of been made a century ago as it has that much benefit to the tool.

Because the options otherwise can be daunting:

Jam with screwdriver to stop spinning
                    Break toilet base (removal only)
                    Use Dremel tool
                    Mini-Hack Saw
                    Sawzall (risk of marring porcelain finish)

I've done the above and can make that task take longer than it should. We all know the key is getting that nut broke loose, the rest is hometown proud.

Once you use this tool once where a nut is froze either by a sawed off bolt above where it has to clean the threads to come off, or just corrosion from metal oxidizing over the years, you'll soon see that there are some good benefits for this.

Dunbar Plumbing was not paid for this review.

Ben gave a good plumbing tip in relation to this subject matter on another forum.

Comment

I take my trusty home depot composite handle hammer, and VERY gently, chip the porcelain from around the bolt, remove the toilet, and then remove the bolt.

Works like a charm!

Comment

i've wanted to try one since i 1st heard about it. sounds like a great tool and it sure beats the heck out of cutting the ^%$ bolts off

steve
                        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

closet bolts have never been a challenge for me. it's the tank bolts that can be a son of a gun.

has anyone tried to use it on tank bolts

what were the results

shows it fits 5/16'' and 1/4'' bolts. there are still some old school 3/8'' tank bolts and plenty of cad steel bolts too

if it works, i'm in

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

uuuhhhhhhh. duck why did you put the nut and cap back on if you are removing it? also, did it take you 3 months to find a stool with that much room to work in? lol. breid.............

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              closet bolts have never been a challenge for me. it's the tank bolts that can be a son of a gun.

has anyone tried to use it on tank bolts

what were the results

shows it fits 5/16'' and 1/4'' bolts. there are still some old school 3/8'' tank bolts and plenty of cad steel bolts too

if it works, i'm in

rick.

I took pictures/video of a kohler wall mount toilet...3rd tank to bowl bolt requires removing the toilet from the carrier and flipping it over to gain access to 1 of the 3. If I can find it I'll post that work of anger.

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                                uuuhhhhhhh. duck why did you put the nut and cap back on if you are removing it? also, did it take you 3 months to find a stool with that much room to work in? lol. breid.............

That video is intended to create more questions than answers, send them to the information statement and go to the website.

There ain't nothing I do that doesn't have motive 'gently laced' into my mode of operation.

That was after I installed the toilet. I used these tall caps that came with plastic closet bolts that I refused to use. Kept me from cutting the bolts which was slick.

I took around 12 video clips in all of my installation of a American Standard Champion 4 toilet with the step by step. I just pulled two clips and a still to throw something together quick.

Once I figure out video editing, and do it efficiently, I'm gonna be dangerous.

Comment

Working...
                                X