Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you remove WC t-bolts that spin?

If real plumbers would install the closet bolts with jam nuts we would not be having this conversation.

Comment

If the toilet is not going to be re used. I will break it at the bolts If I have to.
      Yeah it ain't right but why mess with it?

I had an emergency call Friday Night. I go out there but I was in my car and not my work truck.
      These people really really needed a toilet. I tried my best but the bolts were rusted to hell. I did not have a saw or any blades.
      Well I busted the stoll and set their new toilet. In and out in 45 minutes.

Comment

I'm looking for the bolts that tighten kind of in reverse and don't have to be cut.

I've seen them. Don't know if they would work in alot of situations though.

Does anyone know the name of them or a link to them?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

I found them. It's the same guy that makes the Johni-Bar. Duhhhh.....

SetFast Bolts is the name.

http://www.rjstechllc.com/

If anyone else is interested. I have zero affiliation and wonder if others have used the bolts.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

those don't look too cheap to buy. what's wrong with standard brass bolts, cut off to fit the china caps. as the toilets filling, i'm cutting and then test flushing.

takes 15 seconds to cut off a bolt properly with a tiny tim saw.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              those don't look too cheap to buy. what's wrong with standard brass bolts, cut off to fit the china caps. as the toilets filling, i'm cutting and then test flushing.

takes 15 seconds to cut off a bolt properly with a tiny tim saw.

rick.
              Nothing at all. I've done plenty. Just like to improve and look at things maybe I haven't thought of yet.

J.C.

Comment

Almost all I use now are the setfast bolts. I like anything that saves me a little time when not compromising quality, it all adds up.

If you can cut 5/16 bolts, re-tighten after cutting, and clean your shavings in 15 seconds then don't even bother trying them.

One note on the setfast bolts, they don't fit alot of cast iron flanges as the solid brass heads are quite fat.

Comment

I could never understand cutting toilet bolts. From the time I started plumbing I thought why not make the caps taller? I'm not complaining to much but what a pain on removal. You guys should understand I started plumbing a little older than most. I worked for a factory that constant improvement was the norm. The owner did not settle for the old saying "thats how we did it for a hundred years." So I look at stuff in plumbing and think why hasn't this been improved.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                    why not make the caps taller?
                    http://www.siouxchief.com/Specialtie...mart-Cap.4J67L
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I'm going to start buying the tall caps...I've never liked the cutting of bolts.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by 420paul View Post
                        Almost all I use now are the setfast bolts. I like anything that saves me a little time when not compromising quality, it all adds up.

If you can cut 5/16 bolts, re-tighten after cutting, and clean your shavings in 15 seconds then don't even bother trying them.

One note on the setfast bolts, they don't fit alot of cast iron flanges as the solid brass heads are quite fat.

having personally installed somewhere in the 10,000 range of toilets, cutting 1/4'' brass bolts was second nature. we use to race to see how fast a properly installed toilet could be set, tested and caulked. when you think about it, it's basically 2 -1/4'' closet bolts, a wax, and 2- 5/16'' tank bolts along with a feed line. as the toilets filling, we would cut the 1/4'' bolts to size and snap on the plastic caps. then test flush a couple times and as it's filling we would caulk the toilet to the floor. all under 5 minutes.

of course we didn't install the seat at this time so that the other trades wouldn't trash them. nor did we take into account distributing the toilets as we would spend the morning carrying them upstairs and be ready to install them in when they were already distributed.

15 years of new construction, made for a repetitive task. cast iron sinks were still a 1 man job up the stairs and so were water heaters. 6'' no hub was still a 1 man job carrying it up stairs too

and we were a union shop that easily competed against the non union shops. not around anymore, but some of my buddies still are from the day i started new construction 1981.

that was then. today i rarely see new installations without first having to remove and clean an old toilet installation.

never used 5/16'' closet bolts and never had 1/4'' brass bolts shear off.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                        X