Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you remove WC t-bolts that spin?

i have a couple methods i use when i run into this.

#1- i push a big flat screwdiver in-between the plastic cap washer and the bowl. i twist the screwdriver until there's a small gap then use a hacksaw blade to cut it.

#2- cut from the top down with a hacksaw until the nut splits in two.

Vince

Re: How do you remove WC t-bolts that spin?

battery powered dremel for all, I dotn even try anymore, I am going to replace them anyway! Do it right and do it once!

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
      i have a couple methods i use when i run into this.

#1- i push a big flat screwdiver in-between the plastic cap washer and the bowl. i twist the screwdriver until there's a small gap then use a hacksaw blade to cut it.

#2- cut from the top down with a hacksaw until the nut splits in two.

Vince

I do the same thing, but this is what i found to be easy for me.

I jam the big screwdriver between the bowl and the bottom of the china cap holder, pushing it into the bolt. then i apply down pressure and pressure on the bolt at the same time. this holds the bolt still so i can unscrew the nut...It works almost every time for me, and the saw is not needed either...i just use my 7/16's nut driver on the nut..

if this doesn't do it, i too use my dremmel tool.

also, i use the new hard plastic bolts on my repairs, they don't rust and are very strong. peace bro....
      sigpic

Comment

I use a nut splitter.I used a small store bought one for a while now I use a smaller one I had custom made.Luckly my brother owns a machine shop so I can have him make me some small goodies every now & then.

Comment

4" cordless grinder with a thin cutoff wheel for me. i don't even try to loosen them unless the threads are clean. and that's what i use to cut the bolt tops with also

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by slink View Post
            I use a nut splitter.I used a small store bought one for a while now I use a smaller one I had custom made.Luckly my brother owns a machine shop so I can have him make me some small goodies every now & then.
            ever think about a patent?

Vince

Comment

BOLT = A$$hole

Disconnect the water supply flush to empty or wet/vac if necessary.

Loosen as much as I can with channel locks.

For the sake of this description we'll say the offending A$$hole is on the right.

I put my left hand on the top of the left side of the tank and lean the commode towards the left away from the A$$hole. This will pull the A$$hole between the bowl and the flange causing the A$$hole to not spin.

Holding the commode in this position with tightness on the A$$hole I reach down with my channel locks in my right hand and unscrew the nut from the A$$hole. As it begins to unscrew I lean the commode further over keeping the A$$hole tight.

This technique has worked very well for me.

Fargin Iceholes.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

I use my trusty Ryobi cordless sawzall, works everytime and quick!

Comment

I put duct tape down in the bolt area, then cut with my grinder or sawzall which ever is closest to me.
                  Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                    BOLT = A$$hole

Disconnect the water supply flush to empty or wet/vac if necessary.

Loosen as much as I can with channel locks.

For the sake of this description we'll say the offending A$$hole is on the right.

I put my left hand on the top of the left side of the tank and lean the commode towards the left away from the A$$hole. This will pull the A$$hole between the bowl and the flange causing the A$$hole to not spin.

Holding the commode in this position with tightness on the A$$hole I reach down with my channel locks in my right hand and unscrew the nut from the A$$hole. As it begins to unscrew I lean the commode further over keeping the A$$hole tight.

This technique has worked very well for me.

Fargin Iceholes.

Comment

I also use my dremel to cut the bolts off. For closet bols that spin in the flange, put a nut driver on your drill (I use a milwaukee right angle attachment)and place a metal cutting blade under the nut while spinning the nut into the teeth. You don't even have to move the sawblade at all.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        I also use my dremel to cut the bolts off. For closet bols that spin in the flange, put a nut driver on your drill (I use a milwaukee right angle attachment)and place a metal cutting blade under the nut while spinning the nut into the teeth. You don't even have to move the sawblade at all.
                        you come up with some of the coolest ideas.

Vince

Comment

I just remember what people smarter than me teach me.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            I just remember what people smarter than me teach me.
                            that's one of the keys to knowledge.

you seem to have a natural mechanical sense/intelligence about you gear.

have you ever considered plumbing or mechanical engineering?

Vince

Comment

All of the above.

But usually, I use a Dremel.

Using a carbide wheel, I cut straight down through the short ones to split the nut. Use a big screwdriver to finish the job of splitting. Also works on tank-to-bowl bolts, which I replace with the double-nutted ones.

I have used either a screwdriver or a scraper to slip under the nut to put pressure on the bolt while I turn the nut, but that seldom works.

Comment

Working...
                              X