X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot water circ system

Just looking for feedback on these aftermarket circulating systems. I haven't installed any yet and was wondering if anyone else has.

Here are a couple for sale locally here:
    http://www.grundfos.com/Web/HomeUs.n...ag/PAVA-56TMVA
    http://www.autocirc.com/

My question is if it uses the cold line to circulate then are you waiting for cold water when you go to brush your teeth or get a sip of water from your master bath at night?

So either you are waiting for hot water...or if you install this you will be waiting for cold water...what do you gain?
    Last edited by youngsplumbing; 02-27-2009, 03:52 PM.

Re: Hot water circ system

Pretty much

Comment

I installed the AutoCirc last June and it is AWESOME. It was a simple install under the sink. Getting the electric there was another story.

Yes, you'll have a little warm water when you brush your teeth but it's better than waiting 5 minutes for hot water.

Comment

I can't remember the discussion but I thought these worked well with 2 handle faucets but had problems when used with singles.
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Install a timer... so you can turn your system on 30 minutes prior to your shower set, it to shut off about shower time, once you are in the shower you don't need the recirc.

The water gets cold much faster than it gets hot so you save water. But you use more electricity.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
            I can't remember the discussion but I thought these worked well with 2 handle faucets but had problems when used with singles.

Mixet was famous for having crossover on a building with a recirc pump.

Comment

All of the retrofit systems push some warm water into the cold fixture line wherever the control valve is installed. Different models call them different names but it's the valve under the cabinet or the end of the line so to speak.

Some have models (Laing) that put the pump under a lav. also.

Their one model has a small control dial on the bottom of their control valve to restrict flow & decrease warm water in the cold line if I recall.

Put in different types for different types of people explaining everything ahead of time. Only 1 complaint.

J.C.

Comment

I have installed a Laing Autocirc in a building where it was not even possible to add a true recirc line. The customer was very happy with the results. A little warm water at the cold was tolerable in order to get hot water almost instantly.

Comment

Had one for about 5 yrs. No crawl access,slab. Grundfos Home comfort W timer, and Manafold under Lav. After shower My coffee pot water is less than cold. Not a problem for Me or wife. I read a family of 4 saves 16,000 gals of water a year with one of these.
                  We have a serious drought in Calif. I'd never remove it!
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

There was one installed in our house when we bought it three (3) years ago, and it is of the three (3) line variety, so not an easy retrofit.

In other words, there's a return line from the hot-water pipe at the furthest point in the run (upstairs master bedroom; for reference= basement, main floor & second level).

Uses no electricity (except for perhaps an increase to heat the returned water), there's no hot water in the cold water tap at any faucet, and you get HOT water almost as quickly as the water starts to flow (I suppose it would be instantaneous if the "T" were directly under the faucet, instead of in the wall).
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Randy_Forbes; 03-01-2009, 06:58 PM.

Comment

You may not need that thing at all to achieve the same results.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                      X