X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cable machines

Has anyone had any experience with the Ridgid k1500 sectional machine. How does it compare to a drum machine? Which do you prefer, sectional or drum machine and why.

Currently all we have are drum machines, am considering getting a sectional for sewer work and would like to hear what others have to say.

Thanks

Re: cable machines

Please use the search feature provided on this site to obtain such a wealth of inforamtion with regards to the prefered sewer machines your head will explode!

Check out these threads:
    http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sea...archid=1719591
    Last edited by wrench spinner; 02-27-2009, 03:36 PM.

Comment

here we go again, rick....someone's calling you
      The Other Rick

Comment

rick prefers the sexinal er. sectional machine So do I
        sigpic

Comment

Sexinal
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I Have an ancient machine K500 ? 1 1/4" Cable Loooove it !

Works Great ! uses a lot of the newer parts :-) Rigid HATES THAT !!!

With that being said ... What cutters Do you guys use and in what order ???

Dave

Comment

We have 2 Mytana m81 with 150' of cable, 2 marco drum machines and a water jetter about 5 gallons a minute and 4000 PSI. We all have A K50 on our vans, which is my favorite machine extremely versatile and easy to take on a roof but not very good for large line root blockages, which are the main causes of blockages in my area. The problem I have with the other 2 machines is they are heavy and can be difficult for one man to oberate. Basically I want to know is a sectional machine as good at getting out tough root clogs as a drum machine and what sectionals others recommend.

By the way I took the advice of the first responder and searched the topic on this page and my head actually EXPLODED!!!

I know that Rick is a fan of the K60, I have seen it but never used it, I know rick mentions the k1500 but does not say to much about the ease of use and effectiveness.

To give some background, We (my company) has been in the A/C business for nearly 50 years, 2 1/2 years ago we purchased a plumbing company that has been in business for nearly as long. It has been a difficult transition in some ways but I love being in the plumbing business. We had a 2 man sewer crew that came from the other company, and they always said that it takes to men to run a sewer. Being an extremely efficient AC company we found this very hard to believe, we have recently gotten rid of these 2 individuals and I firmly believe that sewers are a one man show that will occasionally need an extra hand, with the right equipment.

Please advise

Comment

Originally posted by pioneer1 View Post
                We have 2 Mytana m81 with 150' of cable, 2 marco drum machines and a water jetter about 5 gallons a minute and 4000 PSI. We all have A K50 on our vans, which is my favorite machine extremely versatile and easy to take on a roof but not very good for large line root blockages, which are the main causes of blockages in my area. The problem I have with the other 2 machines is they are heavy and can be difficult for one man to oberate. Basically I want to know is a sectional machine as good at getting out tough root clogs as a drum machine and what sectionals others recommend.

By the way I took the advice of the first responder and searched the topic on this page and my head actually EXPLODED!!!

I know that Rick is a fan of the K60, I have seen it but never used it, I know rick mentions the k1500 but does not say to much about the ease of use and effectiveness.

i do own a 1500. but i prefer to run my timeberwolf and the 1.25'' cables. partly because i don't want to hog up the space for the machine and mainly because the mighty k-60 does 95% of work to 6''.

To give some background, We (my company) has been in the A/C business for nearly 50 years, 2 1/2 years ago we purchased a plumbing company that has been in business for nearly as long. It has been a difficult transition in some ways but I love being in the plumbing business. We had a 2 man sewer crew that came from the other company, and they always said that it takes to men to run a sewer. Being an extremely efficient AC company we found this very hard to believe, we have recently gotten rid of these 2 individuals and I firmly believe that sewers are a one man show that will occasionally need an extra hand, with the right equipment.

Please advise
                you are correct. in all the years of drain cleaning, the only time i get help, which is 1-2 times a year is to either help the person out with some work, or to show them how to work it.

sure it goes faster with 2 men, but how do you justify the added cost.

even with my 7500, i would climb stairs and do roof jobs myself. now with the k-60, it's child's play.

nothing wrong with a k-1500, but a k-60 is lighter, more maneuverable and does 95% of everything 6'' and below.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I have the 1500 which I have been using for the past 15 years I thought it was the best macine out there until about a year ago when Rick and others on the site introduced us to the K-60 which I would have to say is I like much better (so much easier on the back )

Comment

Please advise
                    RICK..Who is Rick?
                    Anyway,glad you were able to get rid of those "Sewer Guys".
                    You were getting milked.

Comment

One man yes but ....The cable likes to catch and rip up everything it can snag ! It is nice to have the cable in a Guide pipe ...Thats where the second person comes in ... 1 1/4" cable Slappin around with ATTITUDE !

Really twisted up my Bootlaces once Was NOT about to cut it out Those friggin laces are expensive and hard to find ... :-)

Dave

Comment

Please advise

It is certainly a 2 man job if your using mytana M81's.I wont hold back at all the mytana's are the worst machines I've ever seen.Everything about the machine is a design flaw.I feel that they are dangerous machines and should not even be made.Ever rolled a cable? now picture 20' of cable with tension on it shooting out of the drum.Seen it happen twice both times mytana machine once I was the operator.

If possible get ridgid,spartan,or general machines.Generally it should be a 1 man job the mytana machines are so poorly designed it really makes it a 2 man job.

Comment

Slink,
                          Thanks for your input on the MYtana, and yes I have had the cable shoot out of the machine and wrap around my hand, so I know exactly what you are talking about. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Hi Rick,
                            I am thinking about purchasing the 7500. Do you ever take out the drum and wire so that it is easy to move from the truck to the clean out location? After reading so much of the forums, i was thinking of not getting 5/8 but 3/4 for my 7500? Does that sound right?
                            Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by robertochekwong View Post
                              Hi Rick,
                              I am thinking about purchasing the 7500. Do you ever take out the drum and wire so that it is easy to move from the truck to the clean out location? After reading so much of the forums, i was thinking of not getting 5/8 but 3/4 for my 7500? Does that sound right?
                              Thanks,

i would use the 3/4'' for sewers with roots. most of the stuff i come across is roots.

as far as removing the cable from the drum, no. the machine has good wheels and stair climbers. sure it's heavy to lift, but most of the time you roll it. i used an electric crane arm and winch to lift my 7500 and my jetter.

of course stairs and roofs are another issue

i would keep the 100' of 3/4'' in it and carry an extra 50' section and 25' section. this gave me a choice of what to use when i needed another section. no need to load extra cable and weight.

by tracking your customers and their sewers, you have a record of the maximum distance and problem areas.

you fish where the fish are biting

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X