X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3" or 4" lateral

I've got an architect who has specified a 4" waste line with a run of 160' from a guest house that serves a wc, shower, lavy and sink. I plan to suggest a 3" line because I'm worried about line carry of waste in a situation with a 1.3GPF wc, few other water sources scouring the line and intermittent overall water usage due to the sporadic occupation of the building. What do you think?

Re: 3" or 4" lateral

If you got the fall for quarter per foot
    push it for the best interest of the customer that you care about.

Comment

One other thing.
      Sure would be a bummer if someone were to try and improve and they needed 4" back there and all they had was 3" under the $200,000 back patio.

Comment

Even with 3" I'd welcome a wc or two more and/or a few more grey water producing fixtures. Better scour. However, Adam, they don't have any more room to add square footage, on that side of the lot.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          If you got the fall for quarter per foot
          push it for the best interest of the customer that you care about.
          That's my plan exactly. I'm not trying to save any money. On the contrary, I'm just trying to give them the best possible job.

Comment

Just tell them to shower after using the toilet.

Comment

Leave an exterior cleanout. Preferably a second cleanout at the bottom of the run arranged so it can be cleaned up from the bottom. 160' and one bath that thing is going to plug one day regardless.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                160' and one bath that thing is going to plug one day regardless.
                I don't think saying that will endear me to the architect. On the brighter side, I don't think with the present layout that any tree roots will have a chance at attacking my line.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                  Leave an exterior cleanout. Preferably a second cleanout at the bottom of the run arranged so it can be cleaned up from the bottom. 160' and one bath that thing is going to plug one day regardless.
                  He'll put one in every 100' as well as within 2' of the structure,cause he knows his code.Maybe even one at the tie in if he decides to bring the test wye to grade.

Comment

Will the inspector go for a 3"? Are You sure!

Why would a plumber ever let an Arch. design His system?
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post

Happens more times than not in many cases Toolman

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        Happens more times than not in many cases Toolman
                        " Now how in the world am I gonna get this vented?"
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

" Now how in the world am I gonna get this vented?"
                          Go give someone a pink belly

Comment

bigger is not always better.

definitely 3''. the 4'' will not self clean as well. you still have plenty of dfu to add a laundry and another full bath and kitchen.

all will eventually plug if it's just a toilet and lav.

i have 2 large condo buildings i take care of that had powder rooms/ toilet sink, separated by over 60' from the rest of the waste system. the piping is exposed in the garage ceiling. fall is perfect, pipe is new no hub camered line and the line is spotless.

a powder room only does not generate enough grey water discharge to help push out the paper and #2.

a shower, tub, laundry is what helps with washing the waste to city main.

1.6 is low, 1.28 is crazy

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Per 2007 CPC (UPC) Table 7-5, up to 3 wcs are allowed on a 3"' vertical line w/unlimited length
                              Btw Tool, Table 7-5 applies in Marin just like it does in San Mateo.

It doesn't show up on the architectural drawings. But, because it was assumed that it would be running exterior to the buildings for a majority of it's
                              distance, it shows up on the civil drawings (labled 4"), which were drawn by civil (non plumbing) engineer. I think that's why the architect is nervous. He may suffering from engineeritis.
                              Last edited by Plumbus; 02-28-2009, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X