X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Molten Lead Data

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    Tell the safety MOMS to pour it! Hit the road Jack

Yes, when your life is the only one you are putting at risk then who gives a crap, if you have nothing to live for go ahead. But when you do something that can affect someone else's health and well being then it's a different story.

Safety regulations are as much about protecting innocent people from careless or could-care-less people as they are about protecting those who are do not think they need to protect themselves.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
      Yes, when your life is the only one you are putting at risk then who gives a crap, if you have nothing to live for go ahead. But when you do something that can affect someone else's health and well being then it's a different story.

Safety regulations are as much about protecting innocent people from careless or could-care-less people as they are about protecting those who are do not think they need to protect themselves.
      Guy's not running a lead foundry ! Just pouring a few Joints !

Seems like overkill !
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Guy's not running a lead foundry ! Just pouring a few Joints !

Seems like overkill !

If you are not used to working in these kinds of environments it can sure appear to be overkill but in this day and age it is the norm not the exception.

I have a few buddies that work nuclear power plant construction talk about a nut roll, 3 day approval process to do just about anything.

I believe alot of the regulations are a bit overkill myself. Why do you think all of or jobs have gone to China and India??? When they say it is cheaper to make somethin in China / India they are not just talking about wages thay are also factoring in the total lack of environmental regulations and Occupitional safety regulations...

The rich's china / india are realizing come on the backs of it's unprotected people and environment remember the river that caught on fire or asbestosis?... There really is a reason our laws and regulations have been developed

It will be a while but humanity will eventually see that we are all connected and that we all live on the same planet...

Don't believe that your wellbeing is not threatened by the Indian drug companies dumping thousands of doses of antiboitics into their rivers while we all wonder why our drugs don't work like they used to...

There is a reason that the next global pandemic ( a SARS varient to be sure) is going to come out of China...

Don't believe me? Go see for yourself spend a few hours and google away

Unfortunately the root of our problems is still Greed *shrug*

Without the good jobs that corporate america has sent to china/ india under the guise of lean six sigma methodology (supply chain management) we will be stuck in this recession. The middle class is going extinct.

Corporate America has a problem... Here is an example:

THE TV, the Corporate advertising machine is telling everyone that the new normal is to have a flat screen. Just 2 years ago you could buy a 32" CRT (Tube TV) for $400 bucks now go see if you can find a tube TV at wal-mart? Now you have to buy a 30-60 inch flat screen for $700-$3000 (much more profit) the problem is the majority of jobs available to the masses do not allow them to afford what the corporate advertising machine tells them they should have. People are now forced to buy something they can't afford via credit or something you see now that you did not see 50 years ago, "Rent-a centers"

The current financial crises is the bed corporate america and greed has made for us... If we do not have a change in our fundimental beliefs as a nation there is not a bail-out big enough to help us...

"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship." Alexander Tyler

Just a few thoughts...

Sunday is the only time I get to think

Okie
        Last edited by OkieBill; 03-01-2009, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Since lead work is not as prevalent as it used to be, it may not represent as much of a danger as it did 20 some years ago, but the danger is still there and it is something that repeated exposure is what does you in. The chronic/long term effects are what do the damage.

As an apprentice I (like many of you) poured lead joints all day long. I remember jobs where all the sewer and drainage piping was lead and oakum and backvents were galv. pipe with tucker fittings. The lead pot was fired up at 7am and didn't get shut down until lunch, then right back at it afterward till the end of the day. We used at times over 100 pounds of lead in a day. If you were inside a building then the fumes could accumulate and even if outside you had to be careful not to breathe too much in.

If you had ever worked in a place like National Lead where you had to get a blood test every month to check for lead poisoning then maybe you would feel different about it.

It doesn't matter how tough you are, lead will eventually kill you if you get enough exposure.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."

Comment

That's it! I'm eatin a pound of lead with eggs in the morning
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

That's it! I'm eatin a pound of lead with eggs in the morning
              It's better with a little Grey Poupon on it, but be careful you don't over do it, you might get sick.

Comment

Originally posted by randall c View Post
                First post! And it's a reach.

Do any of you have any data containing amounts of lead in the air around molten lead, i.e. a furnace with a lead pot?
                It can be either from air samples you have or legit objective data found on the web.
                I need it in the form of micrograms per cubic meter.

Thanks (anyway) / in advance,
                randall

The amount of lead in the air is a direct result of the temperature of the lead in the pot. You get very little airborne lead up to about 1000 degrees but at 1200 degrees the vaporization really starts to increase rapidly. If you want data in print look at bullet casting sights on the web. You'll find everything from novices to full blown engineers who love to share their information on this subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankenstein88 View Post
                  The amount of lead in the air is a direct result of the temperature of the lead in the pot. You get very little airborne lead up to about 1000 degrees but at 1200 degrees the vaporization really starts to increase rapidly. If you want data in print look at bullet casting sights on the web. You'll find everything from novices to full blown engineers who love to share their information on this subject.
                  Thanks, yes I do have data substantiating the fact that the higher the temps on the molten lead, the higher the particulate matter in the air. Funny I overlooked the bullet casting community, especially since I used to do some casting myself. We have our procedure in place now & it’s been approved by four safety professionals so we’re good to go.
                  We have quite a bit of our Duriron MJ in the ground already & I have some pictures I would like to post up. There are probably a few plumbers around here who have some interest in this but have never had the opportunity to see or use this. The owner is very particular about what (if any) pictures I can use though so I may not get to use any of them. We’ll see...

Comment

Working...
                  X