Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molten Lead Data

First post! And it's a reach.

Do any of you have any data containing amounts of lead in the air around molten lead, i.e. a furnace with a lead pot?
    It can be either from air samples you have or legit objective data found on the web.
    I need it in the form of micrograms per cubic meter.

Thanks (anyway) / in advance,
    randall

Re: Molten Lead Data

huh.. for what reason may i ask??

Comment

I have melted so much lead, for sinkers, bullets, and setting in railings with no air samples, and I aint dead yet.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
        I have melted so much lead, for sinkers, bullets, and setting in railings with no air samples, and I aint dead yet.
        I have too.
        I'm installing Duriron bell & spigot on an industrial project with 1/2 dozen safety professionals looking over our shoulder all day. I have to have a written procedure to show we are in compliance with OSHA standards. The procedure & PPE vary with the ammount of lead that is suspended in the air. I haven't a clue what to expect but I suspect they/we are afraid of the boogy man here.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
          I have melted so much lead, for sinkers, bullets,
          and setting in railings with no air samples, and I aint dead yet.

Got some asbestos in there too I'm sure?

I had a friend in the trade who is long gone now may he rest in peace. And it was
          from his hobby business of pouring sinkers, and casting balls and bullets for black
          powder guns during which time he breathed in the lead fumes. Thinking back he said
          almost the same thing you did above.

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/leadsmelter/index.html

http://www.cpwr.com/pdfs/CB%204th%20...th.pdf#page=25
          (go to pages 43 & 44 for lead info)

More on lead hazards:
          http://www.elcosh.org/docs/hazard/chemical_lead.html
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Asbestos around old piping and boilers when doing repair work all the time, just don't disturb it and it won't disturb you.

Comment

This is Why I had IRONWORKER BUDS AT My wedding.

Their comment to Mr. Mom safety BOY.

" HEY, CUB SCOUT OUTA MY SITE OR I'LL GIVE YOU A TICKET TO THE STREET .
              This was S.F. 1984 on the Tower of a hi rise. Young Super. came up to give us a safety talk. Red faced little boy hit the Man lift FAST !

BALL UP BROTHER
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                This is Why I had IRONWORKER BUDS AT My wedding.

Their comment to Mr. Mom safety BOY.

" HEY, CUB SCOUT OUTA MY SITE OR I'LL GIVE YOU A TICKET TO THE STREET .
                This was S.F. 1984 on the Tower of a hi rise. Young Super. came up to give us a safety talk. Red faced little boy hit the Man lift FAST !

BALL UP BROTHER
                Not an option. The safety personnel are the owner.

No asbestos. This is a new lab at a very large oil refinery on the Houston Ship Channel.
                I've done very large commercial projects for the last 25 years. The industrial environment is as different from commercial as residential is to commercial. Unless you've been there, you simply would not believe it. Sadly, I'm becoming used to it.

Comment

This is a new facility and you are pouring lead joints.

Whats up with that?

G3

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
                    This is a new facility and you are pouring lead joints.

Whats up with that?

G3
                    There are no other options for Duriron above 4". They make MJ similar to no hub up to 4".

"Duriron Bell & Spigot is installed using traditional plumbing methods and is in accordance with all city and state plumbing codes.
                    A Duriron Bell & Spigot joint is made using conventional plumbing tools, virgin lead, and special acid resistant rope packing called Red Stripe Sealite No. 312A. Sealite is an asbestos free, acid resistant rope packing that is specially designed for Duriron Bell & Spigot pipe and fittings. Made of highly corrosion resistant materials, Sealite packing seals the Duriron Bell & Spigot pipe joints by absorbing large quantities of the service fluid, expanding to several times its original volume. It is the packing that seals the joint, not the lead"

Just an FYI... a 6" Combo is almost $700!!
                    Last edited by randall c; 02-28-2009, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Have you addressed your concerns to your local Duriron manufacturer's rep? I'm sure someone, somewhere has run into this perdicament, especially with the tight safety precautions found in government sponsored R & D facilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                        Have you addressed your concerns to your local Duriron manufacturer's rep? I'm sure someone, somewhere has run into this perdicament, especially with the tight safety precautions found in government sponsored R & D facilities.
                        Yea, Duriron isn’t even a significant part of his business; Flowserve’s either for that matter. Apparently Duririon is a dinosaur and may not be around much longer so nobody pays much attention to it. Many of my fittings weren't available so I had to substitute (or wait until they're cast). There are many polypro alternates but none were acceptable to the owner. Compared to some of the stuff the guys in the refinery work with, lead is like a kid playing with crayons so not much sympathy from them either. We’re going to get it done next week but I am looking for objective data to use in lieu of hiring an environment control person to monitor our potential exposure.
                        It's far from impossible to work with the lead, just a real PITA. As far as the actual activities go, just a respirator & protective clothing. A ton of documentation has to be done though. Good news is - you only have to keep it 30 yrs!!

BTW... nice forum you guys have here.

Comment

Your environment is going to be your environment... Does that make sense?

If you believe you are going to be under a microscope it is best to do the right thing to protect everyone involved.

Hire the Environmental guy and do a baseline joint ( fire up the smelter and pour a standard lead joint to save $) offsite and establish the exposure level and reqired PPE.

Nothing bites worse then being on the wrong side of exposure claims...

In this day and age I have found it is best not to give people a reason

Sounds like a fun project none the less

Comment

Randall
                            Check your personal messages.

Comment

Tell the safety MOMS to pour it! Hit the road Jack
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X