Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Not all customers are good customers.

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
    Just say no. Word gets out about people who say no just like it does about people who say yes, especially in a small town.
    Being from a small town myself Just say no is not always the right answer... We walk the fence between being kind and being taken advantage or being helpful or an A$$

I have had pretty good luck with this dance with my customers as of late... Here is the schitck that I use...

Cell phone calls are only answered from known numbers (that I want to talk to) all others get my voicemail that tells them to call my office to schedule appointment / work. This stops the phone shoppers.

In person it is a bit more delicate I like to use "do to scheduling constraints I would love to stay and discuss this but I have to serve my next customer... Give me a call on my cell later and we can discuss it further. (see above)...

Okie

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
      I really think it has to do with the economy also.
      You're right, it definitely more than just the media (not that they help). When you've just had farewell lunches for coworkers like I did last week, you tend to think about your spending habits and your own vulnerability.

Comment

I would say about 25% are calls for side work. There is no motivation like a person thinking they will save a couple dollars. I say no. They keep going. Maybe I just need to be a jerk about it. Being firm is not enough.

The other 75% is just stupid stuff. Last night at 9:00 a guy called my home phone and wanted to talk about the pump alarm I am going to install Thursday for the company I work for.

I would just like to reiterate: I don't do side work. That does not stop people from trying to make a perceived gain.
        Last edited by Tyman; 03-01-2009, 09:36 PM.
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
          Being from a small town myself Just say no is not always the right answer... We walk the fence between being kind and being taken advantage or being helpful or an A$$

I have had pretty good luck with this dance with my customers as of late... Here is the schitck that I use...

Cell phone calls are only answered from known numbers (that I want to talk to) all others get my voicemail that tells them to call my office to schedule appointment / work. This stops the phone shoppers.

In person it is a bit more delicate I like to use "do to scheduling constraints I would love to stay and discuss this but I have to serve my next customer... Give me a call on my cell later and we can discuss it further. (see above)...

Okie
          You have hit it on the head. Small town politics.
          Last edited by Tyman; 03-01-2009, 09:37 PM.
          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I really never have problems with this anymore.

People pay me with cash, expecting a discount? No way; it's all going to the same place, I'm claiming it.

Start messing your books up doing cash jobs and the IRS will know what you're doing. It's counterproductive for me in many ways.

I keep a real clean nose because I didn't come this far to short change myself along the way.

If you have a good CPA you'll soon realize there's many tax strategies that prove very beneficial in the way you operate your company, legally.

Rarely when I "do" get someone trying to do it on the side, I'm like "Who the **** are you, I don't even know you dumb***! Waste someone elses time."
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

i almost posted this same topic last night except i work for myself. i had a guy call yesterday about 6 pm i was out to dinner with my family and my phone rings first thing this guy says is i hear your the guy that can help me? i asked who reffered him to me but he couldnt remember. turns out they just had a remodel done (by another plumbing company) and now there sewer is plugged. i apologized and said i couldnt get out until monday i asked if that would work with him he demanded that i make it out in 30 minutes. keep in mind ive never done work for him. i apologized and said i was out of town. i wasnt but it seemed like a good excuse he than started name dropping. i guess he thought if he threw out the right name i would come running? my phone is the worst part about my job and its getting worse people wanting stuff for free or cheaper or people trying to sell me something. id like to find out where these people work and than call them at home on a saturday and asked them questions about there work
              Mike
              Clark County Plumbing And Drain
              www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Seems as though the rest of the country is catching up to Idaho. It's always been a recession here. And there are plenty of customers with larcenous hearts.

The ones who never question the price, but rather, ask if I'm sure it's enough are as good as gold.

Comment

Concentrate on the good ones. You'll be alot happier.

J.C.

Comment

This Brings up Two points :

1. When They think I am the Employee they want "side Work" when they find out I am the Boss they change their tune ...

2. When I plug a Broken water line on a Weekend (so the rest of the house works) and then call them to Schedule the work on Monday I get Screwed on that one Because one of their "buddies" got it Fixed already !!

Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X